Ladies - LP | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Yuna wants to be remebered as one of the greatest skaters of all time and she already has accomplished that. She is the only lady to skate the best programs ever in history of the olympic game. Her world record scores are also there. So, she will be remember as a greatest skater ever unless some skaters can break her record. I didn't mean to disrespect, but I really don't see any current skaters that has the potential or ability to do that.
i guess you shouldn't say " yu-na is only lady ~~" or "yu-na's programs ever~~". i know she did wonderful job at oly.
we know she is one of the most sucess figure skater.
but we have many other great medalist like peggy,kristi and midori etc.

as for her world record, she got highest marks ever in cop.
it was great. however, points is not just figure skating. i have some programs that didn't get that high marks,but i was impressed.

i have no idea any skaters will get higher points than yuna's.
anyway what i want to say is i want to see more impressing programs.

oh i don't know what to write... hope my sentences are fine.

For now - Yuna is in the Kristi - Tara - Oksana category to me. Two major titles - that is all. Mao also has two major titles right now.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Kristi won two World Championships and an Olympic Gold Medal. :clap: (I guess we can't count her numerous "World Pro" titles. ;) )

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Greatest ever? Winning OGM is not everything, sure Kim deserved the gold medal but her scores were inflated IMO.

Not to spoil your party, but it's not like most people will remember her scores anyway. Do you remember what Shiz got in 06? Plushenko in 06? Michelle during the short program in 02?

Well, maybe you do, but people who only watch figure skating every four years won't. They'll just remember her as the South Korean's pride who rose up from a crappy figure skating commitee(?) to a figure skating superstar.

ryoko

Rinkside
I agree with what you are saying. And I was thinking towards the future.
Between Yuna and Mao combined - they have three WCs and two Olympic medals. Michelle has 5 WC's and two Olympic medals.

Think about that for a minute. The two greatest skaters of the CoP era combined have not equalled the Kween yet. And they have both been at it for almost half a decade.

Just saying - especially to newer fans - if you want to be like Sonja, Kati and Michelle - you need to skate, skate and skate. And win titles and medals. Then history will decide your place.

I see what you mean.
It is simply hard to accept that more number of WC/olympic medals = great skater in history, though. To me Michelle is one of the greatest skater not b/c of the number of years in her career but because of her amazing personality (greatest role model) and awesome skating skill.
If yuna retires early and if mao continues w/ her career, chance is that ppl will remember mao as the skater who simply had longer career and not necessarily "greater" skater in history (of course, mao-fans may think differently- I am speaking of general figure skating fans)

People, not just koreans, will remember yuna as a historical skater because she is the first one at this level from a country in which she almost got no support in the beginning of career. when yuna won her first junior title, people's reactions were mostly "who is she?/ how come such a skater come from country like korea (where there was barely any elite skaters)?"
Now I'm lost and forgot what I was going to say :p
Yuna remaining in the field and winning more medals will certainly be helpful- it won't hurt her reputation as a great skater if she decides to retire-

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just for the sake of accuracy, Kristi won two World Championships and an Olympic Gold Medal. :clap: (I guess we can't count her numerous "World Pro" titles. ;) )

:) Forgive me - earlier i did point out Kristi was the Last Lady to win the WC, then the OGM, and then go on to defend her WC as reigning Olympic champion.

That record is actually pretty impressive to me - something which neither Yuna or Mao has done, not to mention Oksana, Tara, Michelle or Shiz, etc.

I believe Peggy Fleming did it and maybe Dorothy too. But not many have been able to win the skating "trifecta." (consecutive WC, OGM and WC)
Not sure if Kati did it either - maybe someone knows?

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
you know what troubles me is the Kim's winning programs at olympics, she skated extremely well but both her programs especially her free skate are completely forgettable. I still remember her beautiful lark ascending or the emotional scheherazade, but that piano concerto is so underwhelmed I can barely remember a thing.

ANW, the OGM is not everything. MK is certainly a legend even w/out an OGM. But it's not just the fact that she won the OGM, it's the circumstances under which she won it (all that pressure) and how she did it. I doubt 50 years from today, people will remember the scores so much as the performance itself. As for the score... that's subjective. I don't think they were inflated but you do. We agree to disagree. Ultimately, if anything is remembered, it will be her two back-to-back flawless performances done under extreme pressure and executed with grace, elegance, and style. :)

miki88

Medalist
I see what you mean.
It is simply hard to accept that more number of WC/olympic medals = great skater in history, though. To me Michelle is one of the greatest skater not b/c of the number of years in her career but because of her amazing personality (greatest role model) and awesome skating skill.
If yuna retires early and if mao continues w/ her career, chance is that ppl will remember mao as the skater who simply had longer career and not necessarily "greater" skater in history (of course, mao-fans may think differently- I am speaking of general figure skating fans)

People, not just koreans, will remember yuna as a historical skater because she is the first one at this level from a country in which she almost got no support in the beginning of career. when yuna won her first junior title, people's reactions were mostly "who is she?/ how come such a skater come from country like korea (where there was barely any elite skaters)?"
Now I'm lost and forgot what I was going to say :p
Yuna remaining in the field and winning more medals will certainly be helpful- it won't hurt her reputation as a great skater if she decides to retire-

I don't know. Longevity does play a role. I don't know if Michelle would have been as remembered by most people if she didn't have a long career. The same can be said for Katarina. It's because they were so dominant for so many years that they have achieved legendary status.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, at least Mao ends this troublesome season with another world championship. Wait, what did you say? She has TWO World Championships? And Yu-Na has one? Yu-Na better stay on for one more season!

and just when we thought the rivalry was dead. I guess Mao has to stay coachless. Both world titles she won with no coach.

rtureck

Final Flight
Very, very nice competition.

I have to say one thing, and you maybe will disagree. I really think that Yuna and Mao made figure skating very exciting for the last couple of years. What a great couple of skaters!

Interesting just the last couple of yrs? How long have you been watching the 2. They have been competing against each other since they were 3 feet tall (I mean very young)

Now about my humble impressions:
The one person that really made me sorry about her: Mirai Nagasu. I'm not her fan at all and I am really not charmed too much about her skating, but the fall from 1st place to 7th was brutal. It was her fault,
Well she fell, she did not do well, I guess technically it is hefr fault

The winner: Mao Asada. She was amazing. Actually she was almost perfect. Probably we can say that this season she was learning 3A and it seems that in the end she really learnt it, which means that she will be amazing in the next season.
I have to disagree that she is learning the triple axel this season. Mao has been learning the triple axel since she was 9 y/o? or younger? With the growth spurt (in her teenage yrs) she has become less consistent with this jump. I guess she has to readjust her jumps.
However it looks like she will never be satisfied until she beats Yuna's scores. Well, she can do it for sure. Next season...

Dont't know where you get that. I got the impression tht Mao wants to skate her best and win every competition. All skaters want that. I don't think Mao is focused on YuNa or beating YuNa's scores. I think Mao will not be satisified until she accomplishes all her goals, that include OGM, and probably landing a quad loop in competition.

The best skater (just the best): ok, who else could do this? Yuna Kim after having jetlag from two consecutive flies to and from Korea, cold and post-Olympic feeling of emptiness and lack of motivation was able to jump from 7th place after short program straight to the 2nd place. Even tired and basically burnt out she was able to perform very good LP with an amazing grace. She had a fall and popped jump, but give her a break, she was amazing. Well deserved silver and another remarkable performance. This time I'm really happy because of the outcome like this.

I think the best skater of every comp is the gold medalist (that is if the judging is fair). I can't possibly think you are saying the jujdging is unfair. Are you saying that Mao is not the best skater in this comp??? And please no excuses about jet lags etc. If there is possibly of jet lag then plan ahead and arrive a day earlier ,, whatever. I remember YuNa's idol Michelle Kwan who came down with a sinus infection (and had to take antibiotics during worlds 1999). She lost the gold to Maria Bute, but MK never even mentioned her sinus infection once to the press as an excuse. Even when she was asked, she said "no, she did not lose to Maria because she was ill". MK did not make any excuses, though she had a reason.

What Yuna excuses? Yuna didn't make any excuse.
She had to fly to Korea and suffered from jetlag and other things later, it was well known before the competition and obviously that affected the results. Same goes with other skaters, everyone might do it better.

But others did not make excuses.

Yuna had nothing to prove for a long time. Mao, in my opinion, either, it was just a question how fast she can recover after bad starting of the season. Very fast, as we saw.

Neither has anything to prove, but probably YuNa has less to prove, so she should be skating and competing just for the joy of it right.

Last edited:

ryoko

Rinkside
you know what troubles me is the Kim's winning programs at olympics, she skated extremely well but both her programs especially her free skate are completely forgettable. I still remember her beautiful lark ascending or the emotional scheherazade, but that piano concerto is so underwhelmed I can barely remember a thing.

But that's just your opinion. That concerto grew on me eventually- it took a while not because of yuna's inability to express that music well but b/c of the abstract nature of the music.
Understanding the nature of that piece I thought she delivered it like no other and probably watched it like 50 times.... For me, from the second lutz in later of the program to the step sequence was the most memorable piece from this olys. But I do love her lark ascending though- one of my favorite LP besides sasha's romeo and juliet.

Robeye

Final Flight
You do realize that Yu-na has the most world medals of any Olympic champion since Katerina Witt. I'm sorry but she doesn't deserve to be compared to Tara/Shiz/Oksana because Yu-na was competiting at an extremely high level for an entire quad.....

And the thing is that it is a lot easier for a skater to stay in the sport, when they have titles they'd still like to win, than it is for a skater to stay in the sport when they've already won everything. Who knows if Michelle Kwan would be a 5 time world champion if she won in Nagano. Its totally and utterly possible that Tara Lipinski (I saw believe her hip would have bothered her but still) would have ended up with more world titles than Michelle. I remember back then Michelle talked about how much she wanted to go to Harvard back then.

Not to mention, while multiple world titles are impressive, your also only as good as your best competition. Unless Nagasu really improves those jumps (and I'm not so sure) It doesn't look like Mao is going to exactly have a whole lot of competition until maybe some of the young Russian jumping beans get eligible. In contrast Yu-na had to beat Mao to win her titles. Its why Yagudin will always be a better for me than Plushenko even in terms of as a competitor because Yagudin had to beat Plushenko to win those titles. And in Plushenko's case for most of his career once Yagudin left-he just needed to skate clean.

Agree with this post. Quality of performance and level of competition goes a long way towards being remembered, not just quantity. I don't think anyone is going to forget 228 achieved in back-to-back performances against a high quality Mao in the foreseeable future.

lavender

Record Breaker

I thought it was me. I don't really remember Yu na' program. It's only fresh today because she skated it today. There are past programs by Yu na that really enjoy and remember.

ew.. Queen Yuna is Queen Yuna. She doesn't need to be like anyone. BTW, I think no one wanna or want to be like a skater that never have OGM lol.

I guess this is to take a dig at Michelle. Real nice:sheesh:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Agree with this post. Quality of performance and level of competition goes a long way towards being remembered, not just quantity. I don't think anyone is going to forget 228 achieved in back-to-back performances against a high quality Mao in the foreseeable future.

It was 228? I thought it was 220. Oops.

Hahaha. Just kidding. Actually, no. I really thought it was 220. But it def. makes sense because I remember her SP being 78 and her FS being 150...

Not a math genius, as you can tell.

ryoko

Rinkside
Greatest ever? Winning OGM is not everything, sure Kim deserved the gold medal but her scores were inflated IMO.

Do you seriously think she was the only one benefited from inflated scores?
ahhh..........i am rather tired of/ confused when people say...

i agree with the placement, but i don't get her scores
i, too, believe she should have been first, but her scores were inflated
i know she deserved gold, but i don't agree with her scores

.......:confused:
what's the point?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I knew that once she did not have much of a threat from Yu-na after the SP Mao would bring it in the free. I think both axels were fully rotated and the one in the SP certainly was. She had the best competition she had in a very long time and was rewarded with the gold. Japan has gold medalists in Men's and Ladies...what an accomplishment.

Yu-na was overscored again, Mirai's meltdown is tragic. Now she is right back to square one, knowing she can kill the SP and then having doubts about the free. I was worried that being in first place would be too much for her to deal with but was confident that she could pull out another perfect program considering how Frank was able to get her to calm down in Vancouver.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Lavendar and ANW, that's your opinion. But from what I've seen, from the comments on it I've seen on yahoo and a bunch of other sites, dare I say a good majority disagrees w/that sentiment? Once again, whether or not the program was memorable is subjective. And history seems to demonstrate the opinon of the majority seems to be the ultimate deal-breaker when it comes to the legacy a person leaves behind. It wasn't memorable to you, but it was a heck of a program for a good amount of people I'd say :)

Daniel5555

On the Ice
janetfan
You say alot but I have no idea what your point is.
My point was for you to watch your words and stop making ridiculous accusations like "she had to skip the competition" for whatever reason.

And whatever you say, Yuna has said her goal is to be remembered - and she meant in skating history.
I know what she said, I don't know what she meant. I also know that she always considered retiring after Olympics. So it looks like when she said that she wants to be remembered she meant she wants to be remembered.
I speculate that she may need to stick around and win a few more medals/titles to reach that goal. I am sure she will always be remebered by her fans and her home counrtry as the greatest of all-time. But others - who have seen many other skaters might still be considering her place in history.
I don't think she even cares about this.

She accomplished everything that others had and even more. She just has less number of medals, but so what? If not a gold, she always had other medal, so the quality of her skating is not a question anyway.
Can she even become greater than Michelle in USA? No, because she is not American. Is that simple. If she can't, why bother about this?

For some Michelle will always be the best and that's well deserved and for others Yuna will be the best, and that's deserved too.
It's really has no much sense to talk who is really the best, it's more like a personal preference. To be one of the greatest - Yuna already is the one and try to prove that it's not true.

rtureck
Interesting just the last couple of yrs? How long have you been watching the 2. They have been competing against each other since they were 3 feet tall (I mean very young)
Well, I don't think it was that exciting when they were so young. I was talking about senior years and competitions of course.

Robeye

Final Flight
Lavendar and ANW, that's your opinion. But from what I've seen, from the comments on it I've seen on yahoo and a bunch of other sites, dare I say a good majority disagrees w/that sentiment? Once again, whether or not the program was memorable is subjective. And history seems to demonstrate the opinon of the majority seems to be the ultimate deal-breaker when it comes to the legacy a person leaves behind. It wasn't memorable to you, but it was a heck of a program for a good amount of people I'd say :)

This is actually quite insightful. I too have a "wisdom of crowds" theory of figure skating rattling around in my head, which I hope to share at some point.

ANW

On the Ice
well you should read the post to which I was replying, the reason why Kim is the greatest is because of her world record score, which I don't agreel.
Do you seriously think she was the only one benefited from inflated scores?
ahhh..........i am rather tired of/ confused when people say...

i agree with the placement, but i don't get her scores
i, too, believe she should have been first, but her scores were inflated
i know she deserved gold, but i don't agree with her scores

.......:confused:
what's the point?