Plushenko earns gold | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko earns gold

bibi24

Final Flight
Lysacek floundered through the entire 2009 season failing to win both of his Grand Prix meets (finishing 3rd in both), failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, failing to win the US championship (losing to Abbott and finishing 3rd) and failing to win 4CC (losing to Chan). This season he lost the US championship again to Abbott by 25 points. So, no, he clearly wasn't on top for 2 seasons by any stretch of the imagination.

Fair enough. I think Lysacek's philsophy is a little different, he trains to "peak" at big stage competitions late in the season. Evan and Frank stated that the nationals this year wasn't really in their plans, although they did well in the GPF previously. It's hard for most skaters to have great skates in both programs for back to back competitions, they either run out of gas, get burntout, lose mental concentration, miscalculate physical preparation going in, etc. Also most start off a little slow for the season. Not everyone is a Plushenko where they can dominate like 10 straight regular season GP events, or never ever miss a beat.

prettykeys

Medalist
Whatever people may feel about Evgeni Plushenko, whether or not they like him, whether or not they agree with his placement in Vancouver, this gold is from his fans.He's not my favorite skater at all (I was rooting for Daisuke :D ), but I totally respect the gesture these people have done; they feel very strongly about him and wished to do this for him. It's not like he set this precedent. I think I've read elsewhere that Kurt Browning's fans did this sort of thing before? And also, Michelle Kwan's? Hate him or like him, this particular medal is given by people who love him, and I have to honor that.
Yes, Browning got a fans' gold medal, too. I don't know about Michelle; someone else will have to confirm.

I think it's rather touching...I don't get all the demeaning comments about it.

I don't know about Michelle; someone else will have to confirm.

Yes, the Michelle Kwan Forum organized a project to commission a special "fan's favorite" gold medal for Michelle, coupled with a substantial donation in Michelle's name to a charity.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's not like he asked for it or the federation is handing it out. They are just trying to support thier guy, nothing wrong with that in my book. It must take some of the pain off losing to know you have fans like that. Cute. As for Evan's fans not ever making him one...why would they? He has the real thing. Even if he did not win you know he would be ubber gracious about it so nobody would think of doing something like that.

jennylovskt

Medalist
It's not like he asked for it or the federation is handing it out. They are just trying to support thier guy, nothing wrong with that in my book. It must take some of the pain off losing to know you have fans like that. Cute. As for Evan's fans not ever making him one...why would they? He has the real thing. Even if he did not win you know he would be ubber gracious about it so nobody would think of doing something like that.

Plushenko has a real Olympic gold medal too, just a gentle reminder. So you mean Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan were not ubber gracious?!:sheesh:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yes, the Michelle Kwan Forum organized a project to commission a special "fan's favorite" gold medal for Michelle, coupled with a substantial donation in Michelle's name to a charity.

As I recall, Michelle got a silver medal plated with platinum. Irina received, if my info is correct, a pure gold medal.

Enero

On the Ice

You really think them presenting him with gold and platinum medals is about him not being "gracious" about losing? Considering how Kwan and others (who have been "gracious " about losing) have received similar gifts from fans purely due to their love for them, I think its safe to say that Plushy is receiving these gifts for the same reasons. I think people are suggesting that had Lysachek lost it would be unlikely that a group of fans would ban together to give him a special gold medal. The belief is he just doesn't have the kind of following that Plushy has.

Anyway, I think its great what Plushy's fans are doing. If they want to give him numerous platinum and gold medals to show their love for him and appreciation for his work I say more power to them.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I didnt contributed to the gold medal, I saw the announcement on facebook but by then I had sold all my gold to go to Worlds.:sheesh: in any case I found it a bit too much but I like that people coordinated from different sources and managed to make it! I m curius how they organised it!
So i decided next time I see him I ll give him instead a thank you hug and a gold kiss and if he doesnt like it, I dont care, I will :biggrin:

chrissy51

Rinkside
I would have loved to give Johnny Weir a bronze covered gold medal. I think he should have won bronze. Saying that I do love DT

chrissy51

Rinkside
Doesn't the less valuable metal usually go on the inside????

I put it that way because I felt Johnny should have won the bronze medal. Ergo bronze on top and because bronze is not worth much and Johnny is priceless I would put gold in the middle