Universal Sports crew not in Italy... | Golden Skate

Universal Sports crew not in Italy...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So it's pretty clear to me that the US crew reporting on Worlds (with the exception of the one US reporter doing reaction interviews) aren't actually in Italy right? Because Tanith and Johnny made several references of being in LA.

Is this pretty unusual? Is this a reflection of the tight budget of Universal Sports? I always thought that if you were going to commentate on something you kind of had to be there. I mean how can you tell the rotation and speed of the jumps if you're only looking at a television feed?

skatemom1122

Final Flight
So it's pretty clear to me that the US crew reporting on Worlds (with the exception of the one US reporter doing reaction interviews) aren't actually in Italy right? Because Tanith and Johnny made several references of being in LA.

Is this pretty unusual? Is this a reflection of the tight budget of Universal Sports? I always thought that if you were going to commentate on something you kind of had to be there. I mean how can you tell the rotation and speed of the jumps if you're only looking at a television feed?

What? That's....strange. No, that can't be. There is one lady from US doing interviews with the skaters!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What? That's....strange. No, that can't be. There is one lady from US doing interviews with the skaters!

Well that lady (forgot her name) is definitely in Italy, but I don't think the rest (Tara, Johnny, Tanith and Ben, Peter C, Joyce) are not. It doesn't make sense that Johnny and Tanith are having sushi and spending too much money on clothes in LA (as referenced on their Twitter feed) if they are in Italy. Plus we see no shots of them being at the rink.

PLUS: Johnny did a taping of George Lopez on the 24th, which would have been the day of the men's short program. So unless Lopez is going to Italy...Johnny isn't there.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Well that lady (forgot her name) is definitely in Italy, but I don't think the rest (Tara, Johnny, Tanith and Ben, Peter C, Joyce) are not. It doesn't make sense that Johnny and Tanith are having sushi and spending too much money on clothes in LA (as referenced on their Twitter feed) if they are in Italy. Plus we see no shots of them being at the rink.

PLUS: Johnny did a taping of George Lopez on the 24th, which would have been the day of the men's short program. So unless Lopez is going to Italy...Johnny isn't there.

Yeah, you're right. VERY odd....how can they really commentate on performances they are watching from a TV?

gold12345

Medalist

I'm not sure if it's unusual... I thought it was relatively common. They don't actually go to all the Grand Prix events either. The events where you never actually see the commentators (unlike, say, Nationals, when they show Scott and Sandra talking in the booth), I assume that there is a good chance that they aren't there and are just watching a television feed. Sure, commentators may be able do a better job if they are actually at the competition live, but quality commentary seems rare regardless of whether they are there or not! :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not sure if it's unusual... I thought it was relatively common. They don't actually go to all the Grand Prix events either. The events where you never actually see the commentators (unlike, say, Nationals, when they show Scott and Sandra talking in the booth), I assume that there is a good chance that they aren't there and are just watching a television feed. Sure, commentators may be able do a better job if they are actually at the competition live, but quality commentary seems rare regardless of whether they are there or not!

Well it makes sense for Grand Prix, but Worlds?! I know it's playing second fiddle to the Olympics this year...but they usually have people there! (I mean for heaven sake ABC had enough money in 2005 to bring Kimmie Meissner to do commentary and have her try Russian food!)

katymay

Medalist
I kind of wondered if he camera work is being done only by eurosport? Not even sure NBC/Universal has a camera crew there.
I've got to say that Johnny Weir has been a surprise-I thought he would be a train wreck, instead I think he is very very good. Offers some interesting insights, and some funny comments. He is also not afraid to talk skating "politics". I'm impressed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I kind of wondered if he camera work is being done only by eurosport? Not even sure NBC/Universal has a camera crew there.
I've got to say that Johnny Weir has been a surprise-I thought he would be a train wreck, instead I think he is very very good. Offers some interesting insights, and some funny comments. He is also not afraid to talk skating "politics". I'm impressed.

I think maybe the feed is from the ISU. Because all the ISU logos and layout are there (as opposed to the graphics offered by NBC). Maybe Eurosport has a contract with ISU to do all that work?

Weir has been really good. I think he's laying a little thick on his crticisms of Patrick Chan (and it's clearly personal) but otherwise, he has offered some great insights. Tara Lipinski has been quite impressive to me as well. She is quite knowledable about all the women's skaters, which is really cool. And she actually does a good job explaining before hand if there are any possible DGs so people aren't surprised with the scores.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I thought Johnny, Tara, and Tanith & Ben all did well with their insights and explaining everything. They didn't sugarcoat (like Sandra), get too carried away (like Scott), overly gush (like Peggy), or overly critical (like Uncle Dickie), they all spoke the truth of what all of us were thinking. Sometimes I think Tara and Johnny did too much research on fan forums because almost everything they said it was what we were thinking.

Can we get them as our new US PBP team for Sochi? We'll even add Paul too because I've always liked his commentary!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Tara, after watching Mao 3A slowmo replay, said it was clean. She can't even tell.
I can't tell in real time, but it looks close in replay and they should have given it to her. Shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the skater?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the commentary team is obviously not in the arena... they are shooting them in a studio and it's obvious they're watching from the same tv angles we are.

katymay

Medalist
I agree. And Tara and Weir were saying that Mao has double jointed ankles that make it seem as if jumps are cheated when they are not. Interesting observation I thought.