Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Whats next for U.S. That the 2 of the touted youngster didn't get 3 U.S. for next ye

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Also, any news on Caroline getting a new coach? If she does maybe she can work out her issues.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not sure Caroline needs a new coach. It may be that Ms. Li and Caroline made a decision to hold off fixing her jumps until the Olympic season was over. Was it a mistake to let poor technique creep in? Yes it was. But the mistake has been made and the lesson learned.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not sure Caroline needs a new coach. It may be that Ms. Li and Caroline made a decision to hold off fixing her jumps until the Olympic season was over. Was it a mistake to let poor technique creep in? Yes it was. But the mistake has been made and the lesson learned.

Maybe you are a minority but you could be right.
Ms Li coached one of my all-time favorites, Lu-Chen so it's not like she hasn't had successful skaters in the past.

Mirai suffered last season after growing so much and I think this was a big part of Caroline's problems this season. Add in a few injuries (which Mirai also had last year) and a skater can have a very subpar season.

But Caroline does need to skate faster - to enter her jumps faster, and to get more lift.
Some of that can come from strength training but Caroline looks like she needs a whole new approach/technique for her jumps.

Frank Carrol said it has happened to every girl he has ever coached - that when the center of gravity changes the jump techniques have to be changed too. He said he had to change much of Mirai's jump technique - in fact he said it was like starting over.

But we have seen Mirai making progress and I think Caroline has many fans that really hope she can make these adjustments. I think that means letting a coach take over and no interference from the family or even the skater.

Frank can be tough and I think Caroline needs some tough coaching too.
I still love aspects of Caroline's skating and I would be very happy to see her back in the mix and skating much better next season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe you are a minority but you could be right.
Ms Li coached one of my all-time favorites, Lu-Chen so it's not like she hasn't had successful skaters in the past.

Mirai suffered last season after growing so much and I think this was a big part of Caroline's problems this season. Add in a few injuries (which Mirai also had last year) and a skater can have a very subpar season.

But Caroline does need to skate faster - to enter her jumps faster, and to get more lift.
Some of that can come from strength training but Caroline looks like she needs a whole new approach/technique for her jumps.

Frank Carrol said it has happened to every girl he has ever coached - that when the center of gravity changes the jump techniques have to be changed too. He said he had to change much of Mirai's jump technique - in fact he said it was like starting over.

But we have seen Mirai making progress and I think Caroline has many fans that really hope she can make these adjustments. I think that means letting a coach take over and no interference from the family or even the skater.

Frank can be tough and I think Caroline needs some tough coaching too.
I still love aspects of Caroline's skating and I would be very happy to see her back in the mix and skating much better next season.

I hope you;re right. Caroline just seems so heavy on the ice though, even though she's tiny. It's like she drags her skates in her crossovers, and I'm also always worried that her hip will break every time she does a triple loop :eek: . So idk, Alissa never seemed to be able to overcome her bad jump technique but I don't know if that was mostly just due to her nerves. Caroline's still young, she has time, she just needs an overhaul. It's not just her jumps that are the problem either, if she doesn't figure out a way to get her PCS up she'll never be competitive internationally, especially because currently she can't get much GOE from her jumps. I mean, when was the last time she broke 60 in the SP? A few years ago right? I don't know how you go about teaching a student how to improve PCS though.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If Caroline can get stronger, make her jumps faster and higher, make her skating look effortless again, her PCS, TES, GOE, NFL, IRS, whatever, will all go up. :biggrin:

Trewyn

Medalist
Three spots matter (eg. Sarah Hughes, Evan Lysacek). I was there watching live and the first thing I thought when Mirai's score came up was 'oh no; no 3 spots *again*'. Obviously I worry about it because of Ashley; if there had been 3 spots she would have been an Olympian and I would have finally seen her live which has been a dream since 2007. Doom and gloom for US Ladies figure skating? I don't know. I really don't think Rachael and Mirai are all that impressive; Rachael's jump technique looks absolutely awful in real life; Mirai I liked at the Olympics and in the Worlds SP but then I saw her at FS practice and now I know. The whole bubbly, happy, smiley thing is just an act. She has as much personality as Evan Lysacek and she and Frank Carroll spend more time in her practice session to work on the 'perfect smile when landing a jump' than on the actual jumps. Yes she probably made mistakes because of nerves + end of the season fatigue and yes she has nice spins, lines, spirals and she's lovely to watch. We'll have to wait and see.

So Rachael... I didn't really know she was considering retirement that much. But she really sounds like she wants to go to university full time. So in the icenetwork interview she sounded like she might defer university for 1 year but that would be the end of it. So I can't really see Rachael as the future of American figure skating; she clearly hoped to either win worlds or the Olympics before she was 18. Look at Joannie young girls; it takes a while before you become the best skater you can be.

alex2155

Spectator
I think Mirai was quite impressive this season. I think we need to all remember that the Olympics and Worlds were her FIRST big international competitions. At the Olympics she had NO pressure really, of course being at the Olympics in general is quite a high pressure situation but she wasn't expected to medal, in fact I believe she was expected to finish somewhere 5th-10th. Yet she exceeded those expectations and placed 4th! Then less than a month later she goes to her first Worlds and finds herself in 1st after the SP!! That is pretty amazing. Yes in the end she finished in 7th, but she's only 16 and just starting out in major international events.
I think people forget because she already went to an Olympics that this Worlds was only her 2nd big international competition. Most skaters don't just come in and medal in their first few big events. Michelle Kwan didn't-she was 8th at her first worlds, Tara Lipinski didn't-she was 15th her first Worlds, Sarah Hughes was 7th at her first worlds, Kristi Yamaguchi was 6th at her first worlds.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Three spots matter (eg. Sarah Hughes, Evan Lysacek). I was there watching live and the first thing I thought when Mirai's score came up was 'oh no; no 3 spots *again*'. Obviously I worry about it because of Ashley; if there had been 3 spots she would have been an Olympian and I would have finally seen her live which has been a dream since 2007. Doom and gloom for US Ladies figure skating? I don't know. I really don't think Rachael and Mirai are all that impressive; Rachael's jump technique looks absolutely awful in real life; Mirai I liked at the Olympics and in the Worlds SP but then I saw her at FS practice and now I know. The whole bubbly, happy, smiley thing is just an act. She has as much personality as Evan Lysacek and she and Frank Carroll spend more time in her practice session to work on the 'perfect smile when landing a jump' than on the actual jumps. Yes she probably made mistakes because of nerves + end of the season fatigue and yes she has nice spins, lines, spirals and she's lovely to watch. We'll have to wait and see.

So Rachael... I didn't really know she was considering retirement that much. But she really sounds like she wants to go to university full time. So in the icenetwork interview she sounded like she might defer university for 1 year but that would be the end of it. So I can't really see Rachael as the future of American figure skating; she clearly hoped to either win worlds or the Olympics before she was 18. Look at Joannie young girls; it takes a while before you become the best skater you can be.

Gosh, THANKS for these "live and in person!" observations, they are really helpful. Sorry to hear about Rach not looking as good in person, surprised that it's the same for Mirai but that is really interesting to know. That is how the judges see it (though of course they have their close-up screens as well).

I'm one who does recognize the benefits of 3 spots but I don't really agonize if we don't get them. Poodlepal I think it was who earlier in the thread talked about the many skaters we've had who seem about to show star power but then never do. I think at least SOME of that is partly that fans often (and I do it myself, I think it's human nature) get overly excited after just one or two good performances by a skater, especially if they happen at a key time like Nationals. Just some examples, most everyone got maybe a little over-excited about Ashley after she had one or two good GP events, like suddenly she was the U.S.'s best lady AND was going to have no trouble shooting to the top on the international scene. Or someone like Jeremy who has been around for some time with middle-of-the-pack type results but suddenly has some excellent skates ~ and is seen as an international podium contender even though his ability to have those top skates at the right time has not been shown thus far. Or someone like Kimmie, sigh, who actually DID win GOLD at Worlds but then that was it (though that's a pretty darn good peak to hit even if it didn't last long!).

I think the U.S. has a good solid program with some skaters in all disciplines who are fun to watch and represent us well even if they aren't "shoe-ins" for the podium (and who IS a shoe-in in ice skating? Yuna is the closest maybe but even she isn't a shoe-in for gold every time. Podium, sure, but not necessarily gold).

The two in question (Rachael and Mirai) weren't 'touted' as the question asks, but the two who placed well in the US Nats. Depending on other international skaters, we can not be absolutely certain that any two US cominations will get 3 places at next year's Worlds. It's a wait and see at Nats and then a wait and see at Worlds. I do think the GPs will give us a hint. I see speed as a defining factor and forget the lyrical.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Did it hurt this year? Obviously not - Mirai was first in the short with a PB, and it wasn't even a completely clean. She placed ahead of some of the most acclaimed skaters int he world, also. The US looked poised to snatch three spots after the short, but it didn't work out. Disappointing? yes. Fatal? Absolutely not. The US, especially Nagasu, showed MUCH promise here. She staked her claim for Sochi at this competition. At this worlds, Mirai made a name for herself, no matter what her final placement was. I'm sure some didn't take her seriously, but now she is considered one of the "big contenders."

This is an imporant step for her. She went from being an above average skater here to becoming a star (in the eyes of the judges I suppose, I always knew she was). It is difficult to cope with in the beginning, hence her free skate, but overtime she will get used to her new found popularity, I'm sure. This was a real coming out party for Mirai Nagasu - once you're out, there's no going back. I have the utmost confidence that she will work hard over the summer and continue to impress us next year.

Couldn't agree more... Mirai has proven she has the talent. Now, she just needs to learn how to compete. My feelings at the beginnin of the season have completly 180'ed based on her and Rachael's performance at the Olympics and this Worlds. Placements totally 13 would've been ideal - but from where I sit, the US is looking like the program of old and I can't wait to see how it plays out!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Hornestly what is the big deal with 3 spots for the ladies. I know 'SIZE' is important for the americans, lol, but having 3 skaters doesn't garentee you will be dominating the spot!! France doesn't always have 3 spots, yet Joubert managed to become a world champ and medal 5 times. Rochett is from Canada that has only 2 spots. Japan, has 3 spots, but only one or two managed to get onto the top 5 position most of the time.

If a skater strive to become the best one in the world, having the max spot wouldn't matter, because he/she will need to be country #1 first before they take on the world. Ok a few world and olmpic champ managed to place only in 3rd spot, before they won the big event (Hughs, Arakawa and Lysacek, that i can think of), but it's just a coninsident.

Lightspear

Rinkside
I think people need to cut Mirai some slack. I mean did you watch the ladies event at Worlds? I did, and it was a complete splatfest. I don't think it is a coincidence I think it just shows that it's been a long season and most skater's focused most of their attention on the Olympics and not Worlds.

Mirai can handle pressure, she handled it at nats when she was in the lead and had to skate last, she handled it at the Olympics when she had to skate last after Mao made history, Yuna shattered a world record, and Joannie performed the most emotional performance of the Olympics. I really don't think she made mistakes in her LP here because she "couldn't take the pressure" I think she made mistakes in the LP because it's the end of the season and she's tired.

Mirai had seemingly clean LPs at SC, nationals, and the Olympics, that's three competitions back to back. It's easy to just assume she'll go clean again but I know she'd likely make mistakes and not be on the podium here, it's just like how many perfect performances can one skater have in a row? Yuna usually has mistakes in her programs, Mao this season has been making huge mistakes until recently, Sasha never skated a clean LP in her life, for Alissa a LP with 2 falls is pretty standard, Rachael actually often misses her 3-3 if you pay attention, etc.

Skaters make mistakes, the ice is slippery, Mirai is consistent but it can't be her night every night. I mean look what happened to poor Oda here! Or Joubert in Vancouver. Mirai delivered when it was most important: at nationals when there was an Olympic spot on the line, and at the Olympics to prove herself worthy. Worlds after the Olympics kind of just seems like another competition - during any other year, it's a big deal and that's what you train for - but during an Olympic year, not so much. Just because Mirai scored 105 in the LP here doesn't mean she's gone back to her old ways, if she hadn't changed and improved, she would have never scored that 126 she got in Vancouver. After SA did people think Yuna was suddenly bad or wouldn't be able to win in Vancouver? No, they thought she got nervous and had a bad competition. This is no different.

Well said!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
snip

I really don't think Rachael and Mirai are all that impressive; Rachael's jump technique looks absolutely awful in real life; Mirai I liked at the Olympics and in the Worlds SP but then I saw her at FS practice and now I know. The whole bubbly, happy, smiley thing is just an act. She has as much personality as Evan Lysacek and she and Frank Carroll spend more time in her practice session to work on the 'perfect smile when landing a jump' than on the actual jumps. Yes she probably made mistakes because of nerves + end of the season fatigue and yes she has nice spins, lines, spirals and she's lovely to watch. We'll have to wait and see.

snip

Of course the whole bubbly, happy, smiley thing is an act it is called presentation and Frank is one of the best in bringing that out in his skaters. It is not exclusive to Mirai, all skaters work on their personality on the ice depending on what programs they are skating to. I would not second guess why Frank had Mirai working on her smile coming out of her jumps instead of her actual jumps in the practice session you were at, could have been a lot of reasons. Yeah Mirai blew it in the LP for the reasons you stated above not because of her personality on or off the ice.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Five out of the last six programs of Mirai's were quite good. She handled the pressure in two of the last three competitions quite well. We have seen many times how handling the nerves is the biggest componet of a great skater. I hope next season Mirai can learn to handle them in every competition. She was only a double axel away of winning her first World medal.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Five out of the last six programs of Mirai's were quite good. She handled the pressure in two of the last three competitions quite well. We have seen many times how handling the nerves is the biggest componet of a great skater. I hope next season Mirai can learn to handle them in every competition. She was only a double axel away of winning her first World medal.

Mirai was about 10 double axels away from winning her first World medal, including a big gift in PCS from the short and long program, the generous call on her UR 3-3 in the SP. This girl fixed her flutz and they completely abandoned her in the LP. I predict she'll lose the lutz by next season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai was about 10 double axels away from winning her first World medal, including a big gift in PCS from the short and long program, the generous call on her UR 3-3 in the SP. This girl fixed her flutz and they completely abandoned her in the LP. I predict she'll lose the lutz by next season.

Generous? Her 3-3 in the SP WAS downgraded and I thought the rotation looked borderline. And I doubt Mirai will lose the lutze next season, she already doesn't do the salchow and doesn't have the 3a to make up for missing two jumps from the arsenal. Plus, she fixed the flutz! I think her 3lutz is really nice :agree:! And people need to chill, Mirai's LP at Worlds was not that bad and 3/4 of the ladies at Worlds bombed, delivering much worse programs than Mirai's LP.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I think Mirai and Rachael (and Ashley) DO have the potential to bring back 3 spots for the US. Time will tell, but I predict there will be 3 women in Sochi.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Why do you have such disdain for Nagasu? Every post you have about her is negative. I understand she's a main rival to your personal favorite, Rachel, but you have to give the girl her due when she skates well. If Ashley beat your favorite and made the Olympic team instead, would you disparage her as well? Sheesh!

FWIW, she did get called "<" for the 3+3 in the SP. She got a boost in PCS over her Olympic programs but that was because it was (and has been) deserved! She skates with similar speed and flow to the top guns (Asada, Lepisto, Kostner, Kim) and has programs which are well constructed for IJS.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Why do you have such disdain for Nagasu? Every post you have about her is negative. I understand she's a main rival to your personal favorite, Rachel, but you have to give the girl her due when she skates well. If Ashley beat your favorite and made the Olympic team instead, would you disparage her as well? Sheesh!

FWIW, she did get called "<" for the 3+3 in the SP. She got a boost in PCS over her Olympic programs but that was because it was (and has been) deserved! She skates with similar speed and flow to the top guns (Asada, Lepisto, Kostner, Kim) and has programs which are well constructed for IJS.

Because she got undeserved scores. She's no where near the level they scored her. You don't consistently get crappy PCS score and suddenly improved by a quad worth at the Olympics. What is that? Frank Carroll magic?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Because she got undeserved scores. She's no where near the level they scored her. You don't consistently get crappy PCS score and suddenly improved by a quad worth at the Olympics. What is that? Frank Carroll magic?

I dunno but the same thing happened to Evan at the Olympics...

Wrlmy

Medalist
Lack of the third spot is very unfortunate because there is a higher chance that skaters like Mirai and Rachel who have been more or less well received by the intl standard will not make it next year.