Thank you, Skaters | Golden Skate

Thank you, Skaters

jBroxton7001

Rinkside
I thought we need a thread like this at the end of season.
No arguing. No nay-saying, No nit-picking.
Let's just pat the back of your favorite skaters.
Let's congratulate on surviving this long, gruelling Olympic season.
Let's Thank for all the brave efforts. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So let me begin with mine.

Yu-Na, You are my favorite artist on the ice. Enjoy your well deserved vacation now. I really hope you would return next season. But it is all up to you. All I can say now is thank you for your beautiful performance this season.

Daisuke, I'm really happy you end this season as world champion. It's over due reward for your hard work all year. Like Yu-Na, I just hope you remain for long time.

Carolina, I'm quite happy you held your own before home crowd. What a brave effort! It must've been really hard season for you. Now get rest and return strong next season. I hope you'll show us your full potential.

Mao, Congratulation on your great comeback. With all the fuss about coaching situation, you showed us how much gifted skater you are. I'm just blessed to see your wonderful skate. Thank you for all of that.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Thanks for an amazing 2010 season for everyone!

Yuna: for finally skating to perfection at Vancouver as everyone hope she can do it. Plus for showing she's a fighter when things are down.
Mao: our little fighter who didn't give up all season. Thanks for showing some perseverance all through the season. Hard work do pay off in the end.
Joannie: your courage at Vancouver will be remembered forever not only from skating fans but everyone.
Daisuke: thanks for saving figure skating. Quads & Artistry do mix!
Voir & Merlie: not only NA ice dance is on the map, but brought it to a whole new level! Long live the Goose and the Phantom!
Tan & Ben: thanks for the many years of leading the NA charge in ice dance. You will be missed on the ice... but please come back to the broadcast booth! You were great to listen to at the Worlds.
Johnny: thanks for staying yourself on what might be your final season. Plus love your show!
Adam: thank you for the Rippon Lutz and giving the American men some hope for Sochi!
The Class of 2014 Men (Michal, D10, Javi, Lil Flo, Crazy Adrian): thanks for giving us a glimpse of the Sochi cycle. It's gonna be fun to watch in the next 4 seasons!
Mirai: even though you didn't do well today in Torino, your Olympic performance gave us a glimpse what we can look forward to!
Shen & Zhao: thanks for coming back and end it with a fairy tale ending!
Pang & Tong: thanks for giving the fans what we really wanted... a medal for you in Vancouver and another World title. Getting together off the ice was the cherry on top!
Universal Sports: thank you for giving us American fans (if we have Uni. Sports) some skating coverage NBC is too lazy to show. Plus for next season, have discussions at the Loft because it's nice to hear what the experts gotta say. Thanks also for having your Olympic show and bring Terry back for us fans!

Oh and thanks to the fans who laugh, cry, cheer, and just be merry this whole season!

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yu-na: Thank you for those AMAZING back-to-back flawless Olympic performances and that spectacular comeback at the Worlds. A true competitior/fighter.
Mao: Thank you for laying down that awesome FS and comeback!
Mirai: Thank you for laying down that first place SP and awesome Olympic FS. Lots of potential there Mirai; now just let it grow and bloom
Shen/Zhao: Thank you for bringing pride and joy to us Chinese people. AND thank you for those stunning skates; show those youngsters how to skate!
Plushy (XD): Thanks for cracking me up and minting some new terms for us FS fans (and a few jokes); "... pulled a Plushy" and "PLATINUM METAL" Thanks for the lols XD
Joannie: Thank for your absolutely inspirational courage and emotion; too often, we take life for granted and don't realize just how precious it truly is.

On and the GS... thanks for introducing me to some interesting nicknames. Btw, who is Lil Flo and Crazy Adrian anyways?

Ren

On the Ice
I like this thread. :)

Thank you to:

Evora and Ladwig, for showing such joy and enthusiasm.
Pang and Tong, for that utterly lovely skate-of-your-life LP in Vancouver.
Shen and Zhao, for that glorious comeback. By sticking it out and refusing to give up on your Olympic dream, you inspire us in our own endeavors. May you live happily ever after. :)
A shout out also to Yao Bin, who determinedly led the charge for Chinese pairs figure skating.

Davis and White, for performing the heck out of the best OD of the season, and for the sheer energy and competitiveness in your skating. I will always think of you when I hear Indian music.
Virtue and Moir, for laying it all down on that wonderfully sublime Mahler program.
Team Marina and Igor, for those lovely programs, and for guiding Meryl, Charlie, Tessa and Scott to greatness.

Brezina, Amodio, Fernandez, for giving me a great glimpse of the future.
Adam Rippon, bless you. I'm happy that I got to see your Seagull skate, in particularly that wonderful Rippon lutz to the music's crescendo. A true Michelle Kwan moment.
Johnny Weir, for bucking the trend and marching to your own tune. Thanks for refusing to back down. You totally rocked that pink tassel.
Stephane Lambiel, for coming back. It didn't work out the way you wished, but you still showed us what a great artist you are. No one can spin like you do.
Evgeni Plushenko, also for coming back. You are a polarizing figure, but it takes guts to return, and I respect that. Thank you for helping make men's much more interesting this season.
Brian Joubert, for fighting back. People have written you off, but you took your humble pie and have now shown why you are still one of the best.
Daisuke Takahashi, for refusing to give up your quad on principle. It's not the safest strategy, but I admire you for going for it and sticking by your guns. Thank you for showing us that great skating can be both technique and artistry, all while giving us great entertainment. Congratulations, World Champion.

Akiko Suzuki, for sheer joy of your skating. I will forever remember your wonderful skates to West Side Story, and your exuberant step sequences. Well done, 'Maria'!
Mirai Nagasu, for your irrepressible liveliness. Yes, I do believe that your name suits you well. I will be looking forward to what you will achieve.
Mao Asada, for your determination. You held your own and carried it out in unflinching fashion. Kudos for gaining your second world title.
Joannie Rochette, for your unbending strength in the face of personal trials.
Yu-Na Kim, for your amazing inner will. There are skaters who would have buckled in the face of enormous pressure and scrutiny, but you didn't. Instead you gave two unbelievably great performances, two skates for the ages made golden. But perhaps, even more importantly, you showed us how strong you are even when things are down. Thank you.
Team Yu-Na, simply for doing all you could to nurture and protect her.

The absolutely wonderful fans, here at GS and elsewhere. It was a lovely, exasperating and buoyant experience with you all as we cheered, wept, screamed, scrutinized, nitpicked and supported together. Thank you for sharing. :)

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
I can't believe I left out Akiko! Thanks for proving that "late-bloomers" do have a chance to make an impact in skating. You're like Susan Boyle, at first we didn't think you have it but once you skated in CoC, we were hooked. Please stay for another couple of years!

ARipp42014

Medalist
Oh wow, interesting. I like the Florent Amodio one; yo yo yo Lil Flo on the ice! XD

Plus Flo's about Oda's height, which is about 5'3" so Lil Flo makes sense. Crazy Adrian is because of Adrian's LP this year!

Key to 2014 guys nicknames:
Chan: P.Chiddy, Chiddy
Rippon: ARipp, Curly, Lutzy
Berzina: Czech Buttle (from a distance you think it's Jeff Buttle skating)
Ten: D10

Lilith11

On the Ice
Plus Flo's about Oda's height, which is about 5'3" so Lil Flo makes sense. Crazy Adrian is because of Adrian's LP this year!

Key to 2014 guys nicknames:
Chan: P.Chiddy, Chiddy
Rippon: ARipp, Curly, Lutzy
Berzina: Czech Buttle (from a distance you think it's Jeff Buttle skating)
Ten: D10

Oh these nicknames are awesome <3 Lols, I showed one of my friends the list of nicknames and she's like "They sound so ghetto" LOLS. D10 sounds hardcore ;D Oh wow, Lil Flo is shorter than me :O Hmm... I shall go look up Crazy Adrian's Crazy LP :) I must be further educated in these names. ARipp... makes Adam sound like some Arnold Schwarzenegger.... HEY he should do an Schwarzenegger inspired program for next season XD Chan though... takes the cake. P.Chiddy LOLS. Nice, nice. As good as my friend refering to the writer Thomas Paine as T. Pain XD

bibi24

Final Flight
Daisuke- Your presence and performance on ice has dazzled fans across the globe. We look forward to even bigger things and more of your programs next season in Japan Worlds.
Mao- You are so graceful on ice with a deep music this season, we like seeing your smile too and be a cheerful girl!
Evan/Mirai/Rachel - Thanks for bringing excitement back to USA figure skating! All of the US skaters are so disciplined and on the same page with the coaches.
Plushy- I hope you keep skating FOREVER!
Miki- You are a strong girl with character! Really enjoy your passion on yourself and others.
Yukari Nakano- Enjoy the next chapter of your life and still hope to see you in ice shows along with everyone!
Berzina- Looking forward to big things from you :thumbsup: Take care of yourself carefully!
J10 (Jeremy Ten CAN)- Hope to see you make it out with some more INTL assignments and give the other Ten a run for his money :)

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for an amazing 2010 season for everyone!

Yuna: for finally skating to perfection at Vancouver as everyone hope she can do it. Plus for showing she's a fighter when things are down.
Mao: our little fighter who didn't give up all season. Thanks for showing some perseverance all through the season. Hard work do pay off in the end.
Joannie: your courage at Vancouver will be remembered forever not only from skating fans but everyone.
Daisuke: thanks for saving figure skating. Quads & Artistry do mix!
Voir & Merlie: not only NA ice dance is on the map, but brought it to a whole new level! Long live the Goose and the Phantom!
Tan & Ben: thanks for the many years of leading the NA charge in ice dance. You will be missed on the ice... but please come back to the broadcast booth! You were great to listen to at the Worlds.
Johnny: thanks for staying yourself on what might be your final season. Plus love your show!
Adam: thank you for the Rippon Lutz and giving the American men some hope for Sochi!
The Class of 2014 Men (Michal, D10, Javi, Lil Flo, Crazy Adrian): thanks for giving us a glimpse of the Sochi cycle. It's gonna be fun to watch in the next 4 seasons!
Mirai: even though you didn't do well today in Torino, your Olympic performance gave us a glimpse what we can look forward to!
Shen & Zhao: thanks for coming back and end it with a fairy tale ending!
Pang & Tong: thanks for giving the fans what we really wanted... a medal for you in Vancouver and another World title. Getting together off the ice was the cherry on top!
Universal Sports: thank you for giving us American fans (if we have Uni. Sports) some skating coverage NBC is too lazy to show. Plus for next season, have discussions at the Loft because it's nice to hear what the experts gotta say. Thanks also for having your Olympic show and bring Terry back for us fans!

Oh and thanks to the fans who laugh, cry, cheer, and just be merry this whole season!

I agree with practically everything you said.

A few additions: Caydee and Jeremy, Amanda & Mark - thanks for giving impressive performances at Worlds and a very satisfying Olympics
Jeremy Abbott - you are very artistic and a pleasure to watch. Keep skating! Love that you're working with Yuka & Jason.
Rachel - I wish you the best. You are basically a consistent skater. Keep skating as long as you love it!
Nobu - I feel so bad that you didn't make the final cut, but overall you had a great season with very enjoyable programs. Don't give up!
Taka - I love your skating no matter what. Best wishes for many great seasons to come.
Congrats to Nobuo Sato for his induction to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, and his work with Taka.
Faiella & Scali - wonderful programs this season and a world bronze medal
Thank you, the Zaretskys for continuing to represent Israel in ice dance. I'm so happy with your performances this season (especially for Schindler's List).
The Kerrs - you're so entertaining, will always love your Scottish OD!
Miki - I still believe in you (as much as I like Laura Lepisto) - I was hoping you'd be on the World podium.
Kim & Brent - I'm so glad that you had your chance to skate (beautifully and in such a heartfelt way) at Worlds
Samuelson & Bates - wonderful season and impressive performances at Olympics and Worlds
Akiko Suzuki and Alena Leonova - you're both a joy to watch!
Brian Joubert - You are a real fighter. Congrats on another world medal!
Patrick - congrats on your medal and elegance on ice.
Cynthia Phaneuf - Congrats on skating so well at Worlds and earning 2 ladies' spots for Canada
Mirai - I'm still very proud of you. Think of this as a learning experience. You're young and you have fire in your heart to skate your best.
Congrats to Evan - great season and you handled it with dignity. Congrats to Frank for his work with Evan & Mirai.
Thank you, Brian Orser for being such a great coach and support for YuNa and Adam. All of your students are so fortunate to have you as their coach!
Aliona & Robin - Keep up the great skating. "Out of Africa" is such a beautiful program.
Ryan Bradley - I'm so glad you skated at Worlds. Heal from that injury. Your Mozart program is still delightful.

Last edited:
What a wonderful thread! Everyone's post reminded me of some terrific moment during the season. I echo everyone's praise. I especially want to single out these:

Takahashi, who proves that an artist can jump and a jumper can have grace. Whatever X factor I look for in skating, he's got it, and I hope he stays healthy and skates for a long time to come. Yay for his World Gold!

Kim and Asada, both of them giving us their very best, especially in that miraculous final flight at the Olympics where everything seemed to go right for everyone. I'm glad each one gets to take home a gold this year.

Virtue/Moir, for taking me to a place I always hope to go to in skating but rarely get to.

Shen/Zhao--despite the moment of fright they gave us all at the Olympics (I'll never forget Sandra Bezic's gasp of horror), for a glorious culmination to a storied career; Pang/Tong for their splendid skates this year and always.

The American pairs, especially Evora/Ladwig, for a lovely final skate at the Olympics.

Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol for their work making skaters more accomplished and more beautiful to watch.

Am I in the minority in my gratitude to Evan Lysacek? He worked like a dog for years and gave the skate of his life on the night it mattered most. And afterward, when Bob Costas asked him to comment on the controversy of winning without a quad, he was not just articulate but gentlemanly. I've rarely seen such self-possession in an unscripted interview--and this is a guy in his early twenties, who doesn't have a law degree or (as far as I know) any speechmaking experience. For that gracious performance I'll always hold him in high regard.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Nice thread!

First off, thanks to all the skaters for giving us such a memorable season! For those retiring/ taking a break, good luck in your future pursuits! For those staying on, have fun during the off season and see you at the summer competitions/ fall GP!

Now...

Dance
DomShabs: For having the courage to go out there and skate, despite Max's injuries.
Belgosto: For being a total class act.
Marlie: For the FANTASTIC Bollywood OD and all the passion and fire they bring.
Voir: For their grace, elegance, chemistry and pure perfection and showing me what FS heaven must look like.
Kerrs: For always being voidy and so entertaining to watch
Ilinykh/ Katsalapov: For their totally awesome Schindler's list FD.
Shibutanis: For just being too darn adorable! And having a really fun Japanese OD.

Ladies:
Akiko Suzuki: For all her joy and love for skating.
Mao Asada: For never giving up and sticking to her guns even through those rough patches
Kim Yu Na: For refusing to crumble under the pressure and delivering OGM worthy skates that will be remembered for a very long time.
Joannie Rochette: For having the will and courage to compete just days after her mother's death
Sasha Cohen: For standing up to her critics and detractors and competing at Nationals
Cynthia Phaneuf/ Miki Ando: For redeeming themselves and delivering decent skates in an underwhelming Ladies FS.
Mirai Nagasu: For bringing it in the SP; don't cry lil firecracker! Cheer up and kicka** next season!
Carolina Kostner: For overcoming her demons and delivering a decent skate in the FS.

Pairs:
Pang /Tong: For really bringing it and having a SOTL at the Olympics when just about everyone else fell at least once.
Shen /Zhao: For showing us all that age < will and finally securing that OGM that has eluded them for so very long.
Savchenko /Szolkowy: For their beautiful Out of Africa FS.

Men's
Daisuke Takahashi: For reminding us that jumps can go with artistry.
Stephane Lambiel/ Jeremy Abbott/ Adam Rippon/ Takahiko Kozuka: For demonstrating that artistry is alive and kicking.
Brian Joubert/ Patrick Chan: For redeeming themselves after disappointing skater in Vancouver.

Dramahkween

On the Ice
This thread is such a great idea! I basically would second everything that's been said above, but an especially huge thanks to all of the skaters who continue to represent Israel and a huge congratulations to Montalbano and Krasnopolsky ("Team D&G") on a great first season! Keep it up, you guys are off to a great start and have an extremely bright future ahead!

Wicked

Final Flight
Thank you all but particularly- Stephane, Johnny, Florent, Yu-Na, Mirai, Akiko, Xue and Hongbo, Amanda and Mark, Marlie, Voir, and the Kerrs. Could you all do an ice show in DC together now that the season is over?

MissCleo

On the Ice
Okay, am I the only one that feels like crying... I am so going to miss all of this during the off season

Men
Dice-K: showing us that a clown routine doesnt have to be gimmicky :cool:
Evan: for milking COP for all its worth
Plushy: you've got guts! I dont always enjoy your programs, but boy he got guts
Weir: despite all the trappings and controversy, I still see the pure/clean skater on the ice that I did years ago.

Ladies
Queen Yu Na: :bow: Not a true fan, but James Bond rocks!
Mao: you had me boohooing about Bells of Moscow, but kudos for making it work in the end
Joannie: words just cant describe....
Laura: I enjoy your 6.0 style, just give me more jumps next season
Yukari: I will miss you so much!
Elene G: Bronze at Euros. Holla!
Technically all the ladies get a shout out because of a great Olympic competition

Pairs
Chinese team: I dont know if all of you will be skating next season, but I have enjoyed it all (even Z squared, just rewatch last years sp!) Good times...good times.
Dube/Davison: the long at canadian nationals was just a tear jerker. second favorite pairs performance after the gold medal short at the olympics
Evora/Ladwig: :biggrin:
Iliushechkina/Maisuradze: I may be the only one that love the purple crayon look she had for their short program

Dance
Virtue/Moir and Davis/White: excellent season, both just blew me away
Samuelson/Bates: I rarely even pay attention to step sequences, but I really love yours in the FD
Rubleva/Shefer and Platonova/Grachev: Russian themed dances does not have to make want to rip my eyes out. I still want to pinch Ekaterina's cheeks!
Ilinykh/Katsalapov: what a interesting FD
Faiella/Scali: I wanted a World medal so bad for them, I'm glad it happened
Cappellini/Lanotte: I just can't forget my dark-haired diva. Kudos for trying something different for you. And I'm so sorry about Worlds.

Last edited: