The mule kick | Golden Skate

The mule kick

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
But I have to say, she has a terrible way of entering that jump. It's so distracting.

It does NOT bother me at all. Each skater has a different technique to get a right timing to enter jumps. Everyone is somehow slightly different. Rachale has her own technique and it works for her very well. It is not even close to what you call mule-kick.
I just love her. Thank you Rachael for the great season. I enjoyed it so much!!

oleada

Record Breaker
Each skater might have his or her own technique, but some are more correct than others. Caroline's technique, for example, might work for her, but it's hardly orthodox. It might not bother you, but it doesn't mean it's right ;)

I wouldn't call it a mule kick, but she does raise her leg pretty high. It's not pretty. Her technique for both the lutz and flip is odd.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am not sure if it is a mule kick, but like Caroline she seems to swing back and forth on her edge, a trait that has gotten worse in the last year. This causes a "e" call on her lutz at worlds when actually when she took off she was on the outside edge as seen in slo-mo replay. But she changed edge so much it did not look clean.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I believe that high kicking is an unintentional attempt by the body to store kenetic energy to achieve a rotation. To jump without the kick requires more strength. I have read that Caroline is attempting to increase her strength. She actually looked somewhat muscular in that People Magazine ad.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I believe that high kicking is an unintentional attempt by the body to store kenetic energy to achieve a rotation. To jump without the kick requires more strength. I have read that Caroline is attempting to increase her strength. She actually looked somewhat muscular in that People Magazine ad.

Caroline is muscular, but she doesn't have much upper body strength which I think helps with rotation. Compared to someone like Mirai or Yuna, she has very narrow shoulders even though they are all about the same height and weight. Looking at them, Rachael and Caroline likely have lower centers of gravity than a lot of the other girls because they have small shoulders and bigger hips and that's goign to prevent them from getting as much height on their jumps than someone with a higher center of gravity, but on the other hand, because they don't jump as high they are less likely to fall.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, from a physics standpoint, a high kick reduces the amount of energy that can be translated into upward and rotational motion, so kicking up before picking is a net negative.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline is muscular, but she doesn't have much upper body strength which I think helps with rotation. Compared to someone like Mirai or Yuna, she has very narrow shoulders even though they are all about the same height and weight.

Actually, if you compare videos and pictures from the last 2 seasons, Caroline's shoulders seem to have gotten broader.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Actually, if you compare videos and pictures from the last 2 seasons, Caroline's shoulders seem to have gotten broader.

Yes, but not compared to her legs and hips. She used to be very short and straight up and down, but now she doesn't have a little kid body anymore. She does not appear to be as thin as skaters like Mao, Yuna, Akiko, it looks like she is a bit more solid and where she has such bad technique she can't use her strength to power through her jumps.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I ve seen both Caroline and Flatt live and Flatt's kick was more annoying to me. It is the way she takes off also. That or I just liked Caroline's everything else much more so i didnt mind. Now I ve seen almost all top Usa ladies live, Flatt was the one I couldnt really appreciate at all.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think Rachael has some sort of "mule kick" but it definitely cannot rival Caroline's.

I really hope Caroline can get hers fixed by next season though. That kick is just getting worse and worse every season.

To me it looks like a mule swing. Well, I guess mules don't exactly swing - maybe an elephant trunk's swing.

tarotx

On the Ice
I think Rachael's problem with her flip is her upper body. Her shoulders just look weird in that jump.

dupagegal

Rinkside
Rachel has a mule kick....absolutely and it's not very flattering...... Caroline Z's mule kick reminds me of the old 20 mule kick soap commercial! Both need to fix it....lol

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I always thought she had a bit of a high kick, but it seemed more obvious at worlds. Perhaps when she lands it and does the triple toe I just ignored it. I think it is interesting that noone ever mentioned it before. I guess Carolines was much more obvious and easier to criticize since she did it on the lutz too.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There is of course one difference between Caroline's mule-kick and Rachael's. Caroline's has landed her on the podium at an ISU championship. :laugh:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
There is of course one difference between Caroline's mule-kick and Rachael's. Caroline's has landed her on the podium at an ISU championship. :laugh:

That's partially true. The World Junior Figure Skating Championships are also considered an ISU Championships event; Caroline won it on 2007 and Rachael in 2008, so both have landed on the podium at an ISU Championship.

However, if you're talking about senior level, then yes, those mule kicks landed Caroline on the podium at 4CC this year.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
She does a little bit, but not extreme as 'the queen of mule-kick, Calroline! I noticed Marai doesn't raise the leg too high when she is picking the toe into her toe jump. Maybe that's causing her with underrotattion?? Not giving her enough muscle power to rotate?