Post Olympic Breakups, retirements and new partnerships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Post Olympic Breakups, retirements and new partnerships

treeloving

Medalist
Too bad, if those reports are true, you'd almost want to see Khokholova pairing up with Domnina as it seems logical - both are looking for partners and they are both very good skaters but alas, I don't think the ISU will ever accept two women doing Ice Dance together. ;)

If this partner come true, I'm certain that I will rooting for them till they retire.:cool:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I would be very surprised if Rochette stays.

But I thought that Miki would surely retire but she says she would perhaps aim for Sochi. That was a very big surprise.

Yuna sounds exhausted in her interviews. I recall Miki was in a burnout after she became a world champ. She deserves a good break. At the same time, the main reason that she cites for the possible retirement sounds more like she is exhausted and stressed out in competitive life. She says that she wants a more normal life, but attending school in Korea would not give her a normal life. But I do not know, it could be possible if ppl get used to having her? You get huge attention if you go to school just once in a while, but if you go there every day, and then ppl would treat you more normally.

Shizuka kept running and running and running after OGM without any break at all, but in her case, she used that good competitive result to help her professionally and enhance opportuniities.

But Yuna is in a different stage in her life in that she's a bit too young to be so career-oriented and also Shizuka had had a normal life as a student and suddenly became famous, but Yuna has never done so and enhancing her career may not be a goal for her now when she already has achieved so much.

riardo

Rinkside
It's been reported that Sergey Voronov left Urmanov and now will be coached by Nikolai Morozov.

gmyers

Record Breaker
After his rocky roller coaster 2009-2010 I was actually wondering if Voronov would continue. He is obviously not in favor with the Russian federation anymore because of his bombing at 2010 Euros.

wallylutz

Medalist
I would be very surprised if Rochette stays.

Rochette has already stated that she is not thinking about retirement and will compete again. This was reported by CBC, Canada's national broadcast network about a week ago.

gold12345

Medalist
Who can Maria partner with? This saddens me because M&T really did seem to actually be able to tolerate each other this year, and I started liking them. Unlike Jamie Sale, I liked their Love Story program.

You really liked their Love Story program? I thought it was choreographically empty and virtually emotionless. The strange thing about Mukhortova/Trankov is that HE showed the most expression of the two. Nevertheless, there were good qualities to their skating, they had been getting better, and they had more potential (if the judges would have allowed them to beat Kawaguchi/Smirnov, which they should have at Worlds). It's very sad to see Mukhortova/Trankov split, but I'm assuming it was done because they are both so moody and don't seem to get along with each other or even their coach. Maria still seems like she wants to skate with Trankov though, so I feel bad for her, and it will be very sad for him if the partnering with Volozoshar doesn't work out. I am skeptical about the Volosozhar pairing. She is used to skating with Hercules, so who knows how big of an adjustment this will be. It will also be different skating with a moody guy as opposed to your boyfriend!

Maxim absolutley is a stronger jumper than Maria. Maxim lands 3/3s in practice. What happened at the Olympics was an absolute fluke. And I recall her jump wasn't perfect either. There have been occassions where Inoue has messed up a jump when Baldiwn hit. That's what happened here but at worlds things went back to form with Maxim hitting his jumps and Maria having an issue. As for the throw-that was another fluke. Even the best partners make a mistake. But overall with Maria and Maxim's career, it has been her that has held that team back, and lots of people think the reason they can't handle harder choregraphy and transitions is because the program needs to be simpiler for her to even go clean.

Men are by nature better jumpers than women. I don't feel it's fair to compare the girls to the guys, especially since the women have potential to fall more as they are of course responsible for landing throw jumps on top of the SBS jumps. A case where the girl severely outjumps the guy seems like a complete rarity. I do agree to that Mukhortova/Trankov were limited choreographically, but I don't think that was due to her jumping as much as it was due to her lack of artistic ability. Trankov isn't really much of an artist himself, but I think he's better than she is.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Men are by nature better jumpers than women. I don't feel it's fair to compare the girls to the guys, especially since the women have potential to fall more as they are of course responsible for landing throw jumps on top of the SBS jumps. A case where the girl severely outjumps the guy seems like a complete rarity. I do agree to that Mukhortova/Trankov were limited choreographically, but I don't think that was due to her jumping as much as it was due to her lack of artistic ability. Trankov isn't really much of an artist himself, but I think he's better than she is.

They were limited choregraphically because Maria had problems with consistency, and so they bare bones choregraphy made it more likely for yes her to skate clean. And as for comparing the guys to the girls. Well I guess I could point out that Tatiana is a better jumper than Stansilav. Really the thing is Maria's jumping technique has never been very good and her consistency on the jumps isn't good in comparision even to her fellow females

In contrast, Trankov's fall at the Olympic short was a fluke. In comparison to his male peers, he's one of the most consistent jumpers around. I mean Robin fell on a side by side jump at the Olympics too. As for Trankov not being very artistic, that's frankly not true. The guy is very expressive and he's quite balletic. He skates with a lot of passion, but his partner does not. There's only so much one partner can do. And there was talk that this guy never wanted to skate to Love Story.

Lets see him with a partner who actually has more expression and with better choregraphy, before you claim he's not that artistic.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Rochette has already stated that she is not thinking about retirement and will compete again. This was reported by CBC, Canada's national broadcast network about a week ago.

Good thing Cynthia got us two spots for next year's worlds so they can both go. Since Cynthia has improved so much, there should be more of a Joannie-Cynthia rivalry next season.

thumbyskates

Rinkside

It's true - she wants to go for the record number of Canadian Championships ever...

wallylutz

Medalist
In addition, according to Skate Canada CEO, he strongly believes that Virtue/Moir will stay as well. He even explicitly told people not to pay attention to V/M's waffling on this topic and reiterated that Skate Canada will do whatever they can to keep the golden couple. So it is quite possible that Canada will enter the 2010-2011 season with its full complement of stars and rising stars from the 2010 Olympics where in dance, ladies and men - each will have have either an Olympic or World Medalist in 2010 + a second skater who is more or less top 10 in the world. In comparison, the United States will expect a lot more retirements in both men and dance and will struggle to rebuild the ladies after a dismal finish at the 2010 Worlds. If Lysacek doesn't return, this would mean U.S. men will be left with Abbott and Rippon as the lead men with a fairly open 3rd spot whereas Davis/White will lead the way in dance but with a somewhat unsure 2nd rank team due to retirement of Belbin/Agosto and as well as the 4th place team in the U.S. this year. Even in ladies, there are questions as to whether Rachael Flatt will continue to skate or not because she may accept Stanford and leave competitive skating entirely. In short, the 2011 season may look pretty familiar in Canada but in the U.S., there could be quite a bit of new faces.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In addition, according to Skate Canada CEO, he strongly believes that Virtue/Moir will stay as well. He even explicitly told people not to pay attention to V/M's waffling on this topic and reiterated that Skate Canada will do whatever they can to keep the golden couple. So it is quite possible that Canada will enter the 2010-2011 season with its full complement of stars and rising stars from the 2010 Olympics where in dance, ladies and men - each will have have either an Olympic or World Medalist in 2010 + a second skater who is more or less top 10 in the world. In comparison, the United States will expect a lot more retirements in both men and dance and will struggle to rebuild the ladies after a dismal finish at the 2010 Worlds. If Lysacek doesn't return, this would mean U.S. men will be left with Abbott and Rippon as the lead men with a fairly open 3rd spot whereas Davis/White will lead the way in dance but with a somewhat unsure 2nd rank team due to retirement of Belbin/Agosto and as well as the 4th place team in the U.S. this year. Even in ladies, there are questions as to whether Rachael Flatt will continue to skate or not because she may accept Stanford and leave competitive skating entirely. In short, the 2011 season may look pretty familiar in Canada but in the U.S., there could be quite a bit of new faces.

It will be a rebuilding year for the U.S. for sure, but I think that there is things to look forward to.

In MEN — I think Adam Rippon has only scratched the surface. The only thing he needs to work on is that darn triple axel. And he has "Mr. Triple Axel" (Canada's own, of course) as his coach, so I think that will get resolved. Brandon Mroz is also still in the picture. He is a great skater but didn't have a great season this year. I expect him to bounce back in 2010-2011. There's some other young skaters I think will emerge as well.

In LADIES – I think Mirai has a fire under her. I think it's good that she knows she cannot be a headcase in these international competitions. Also I think Caroline had a nice ending to her season with a medal at 4CC, so maybe we'll see a comeback from her. Also Ashley Wagner is still around and we will see how Christina Gao and Agnes Zawadoski rank after being on the JGPF and Junior Worlds circuit. Rachael is a question mark because we don't know if she'll take the school route or the competitive skating route. Also we might see Amanda Dobbs as well (if she chooses to continue in Ladies). She did great at 4CC.

In PAIRS — People forget that Denney and Barrett just completed only their second season together. I expect them to get even better. I think Evora and Ladwig, now that they have a taste of success of the international level, will get better. Also I expect a comeback from Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker after a fifth place finish in nationals.

In DANCE — Davis and White will continue to lead. But I think we should also watch for Bates and Samuelson. They improved their Worlds standing (from 11th in 2009 to 9th this year). There's a couple of couples (such as the Hubells) that may step up to the plate as well.

Ahhh can't wait until the fall!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Abbott, Rippon, and Mroz will be an interesting battle.. it will be even more interesting if Lysacek, Weir or Bradley decides to stay on.. I have a feeling Weir will never come back to competition though

Denney & Barrett, Evora & Ladwig, and McLaughlin & Brubaker will also be a heated battle (outside shot: Castile & Okolski)

In dance I think the definite number two right now are Samuelson & Bates, but Chock & Zuerlein are quite good as well

Ladies is so inconsistent, who knows? I think the only definite thing is that Mirai is the best US lady right now, and will probably win next year.. no idea about placements after that if Rachael retires (and even if she stays, she's not a guaranteed medalist)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
In DANCE — Davis and White will continue to lead. But I think we should also watch for Bates and Samuelson. They improved their Worlds standing (from 11th in 2009 to 9th this year).

Since two top teams (Tanith and Ben, Domina and Shabalin) were not skating at worlds their improvement actually stayed the same. Personally I was surprised at this, I find their FD beautiful, difficult pretty lifts, lovely leg lines and speed. The OD, while not what I would have chossen was very cute and always well skated. I did not see their Waltz CD at worlds, but felt that thier expression during the Tango Romatica in Vancouver was not up to the level of the other teams. With the CD going, i guess this will only help them (and hurt teams like Domina and Shabalin).

herios

Medalist
Since two top teams (Tanith and Ben, Domina and Shabalin) were not skating at worlds their improvement actually stayed the same. Personally I was surprised at this, I find their FD beautiful, difficult pretty lifts, lovely leg lines and speed. The OD, while not what I would have chossen was very cute and always well skated. I did not see their Waltz CD at worlds, but felt that thier expression during the Tango Romatica in Vancouver was not up to the level of the other teams. With the CD going, i guess this will only help them (and hurt teams like Domina and Shabalin).
Actually, they went backwards. YOu forgot that Kho / Nov retired, therefore they were passed by two teams Cro / Poi and Zaretkys and they came ahead of Capellinni and Lanotte only because those had that horrible mistake in the FD. You think their FD was good? Yes, it was a pretty music, but too powerful and to meet in performance and interpretation such a piece is very difficult task and I don't think they were up to the challenge. Their OD had a subpar and not difficult choreography. They were hit with level 2's in their footstep sequences. Coasting on their matching lines only won't do the trick.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Actually, they went backwards. YOu forgot that Kho / Nov retired, therefore they were passed by two teams Cro / Poi and Zaretkys and they came ahead of Capellinni and Lanotte only because those had that horrible mistake in the FD. You think their FD was good? Yes, it was a pretty music, but too powerful and to meet in performance and interpretation such a piece is very difficult task and I don't think they were up to the challenge. Their OD had a subpar and not difficult choreography. They were hit with level 2's in their footstep sequences. Costing on their matching lines only won't do the trick.

Actually they were passed byt C/P and Bobrova&Soloviev, the Zars were already ahead of them at Vancouver.

Devidias Stagniunas is listed on icepartnersearch.com . So is pretty safe to say Copely/Stagniunas are no more.

Last edited:

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Where was this info? It is surprising!! What is Craig doing then?

To my knowledge there hasn't been an offcial announcement but I have it on good authority that they will be partnering. Craig is retiring which isn't suprising due to the wear and tear on his shoulder.

bigfan

Spectator
I'm bummed that they have split. I think they were the future of pairs in Canada. Megan is delightful to watch and Craig is such a strong partner for her. Dube & Davison have just fallen off the path somehow. She doesnt even look like she wants to be out there. And Annabelle, as much as I love her, just can't land the jumps. Cody has lots left in him..he needs Megan!! The Moscovitch pairing at Canadians was fun to watch. His partner is spunky and I hope they come out on fire next season...