Your Top 10 Moments in 2009/10 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your Top 10 Moments in 2009/10 Season

Johnny's Olympics - He rocked more than a tassel! It was so great to see him deliver two clean, emotional programs when he needed to most, esp. since I remember the dull premiere of his SP in Connecticut last summer - he worked that one for all he was worth.
Sasha's return, right up through her SP at Nats - Her drive to come all the way back was stunning. For two or three days, she had the skating world in her hand. A sweet moment indeed.
Shen & Zhao getting their fairy-tale ending. As soon as I find a frame, I'll have a photo on my wall of the moment after they finished their FP, when they knew they'd reached the top of Mount Olympus. He's overcome by tears, she's laughing at him - so beautiful.
Mirai at the Olympics and Worlds SP. Who doesn't love watching the rise of this marvelously gifted, open-hearted, and determined young lady (and her relationship with Frank C)? It's a wonderful thing to see an Olympic moment like hers and know it's just the beginning.
Takahashi - Whole season: overcoming such a huge setback and winning, first, people's hearts, then World Gold. I've admired him since the 2006 Olympics and seen him transform himself into a champion with so much work and humility. Victory couldn't happen to a better skater.
Yu Na at the Olympics - To see her gracious performances was to watch a gold medal spinning on the ice. No one can match her ease and flow.
Pang & Tong, Olympic FP - No one expected this team to deliver a stunning, standing-ovation skate at the Olympics - what a joy. A true Olympic moment!
Mao at Worlds, and 3-3A Olympics - Finally, after such a grim season, she comes out on top. What a fighter! It makes me so excited for her for next season.
Joannie's SP at the Olympics. Simply unbelievable. We saw the spiritual strength under her physical strength.
Tessa & Scott's Mahler FP. High art on ice. (Sorry, Joesitz. :p) They bring the class back to ice dance after terrorists, peasants, and cartoon "Injuns" tried to steal it.
Meryl & Charlie's OD - Just a wow of a program, brilliantly conceived and brilliantly performed.

I couldn't get it to 10, and left out so many! It was a wonderful season and shows why the Olympics are so important.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
My Top 10:
1) Daisuke winning Worlds, proving quads and artistry do mix
2) Yuna vs. Mao in Paris, Vancouver, and Torino!
3) Joannie's Olympic journey... from her nearly flawless performance at Japan Open to a rocky GP Season to an amazing comeback at Nationals to the courage she displayed in Vancouver. What a ride.
4) Evan's reaction after he won Gold... and the group hug between him, Lori, and S/Z
5) S/Z getting their happy ending
6) Mirai's nosebleed
7) The debut of the Rippon Lutz!
8) Jeremy's FS at Nationals!
9) Scott thanking Tessa after their FD in Vancouver
10) Every Merlie moment!

HMs: Joubert's comeback, Plushy's soundbites after losing to Evan, Sasha's Nationals, Akiko's footwork sequence, Ryan's FS at Nationals, P/T skating the SOTL!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
4) Evan's reaction after he won Gold... and the group hug between him, Lori, and S/Z

Yes, that group hug was so cute! Besides, I noticed that as soon as it was clear that Evan had won, both Shen and Zhao looked extremely delighted and happy about it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Johnny's Olympics - He rocked more than a tassel! It was so great to see him deliver two clean, emotional programs when he needed to most, esp. since I remember the dull premiere of his SP in Connecticut last summer - he worked that one for all he was worth.
Sasha's return, right up through her SP at Nats - Her drive to come all the way back was stunning. For two or three days, she had the skating world in her hand. A sweet moment indeed.
Shen & Zhao getting their fairy-tale ending. As soon as I find a frame, I'll have a photo on my wall of the moment after they finished their FP, when they knew they'd reached the top of Mount Olympus. He's overcome by tears, she's laughing at him - so beautiful.
Mirai at the Olympics and Worlds SP. Who doesn't love watching the rise of this marvelously gifted, open-hearted, and determined young lady (and her relationship with Frank C)? It's a wonderful thing to see an Olympic moment like hers and know it's just the beginning.
Takahashi - Whole season: overcoming such a huge setback and winning, first, people's hearts, then World Gold. I've admired him since the 2006 Olympics and seen him transform himself into a champion with so much work and humility. Victory couldn't happen to a better skater.
Yu Na at the Olympics - To see her gracious performances was to watch a gold medal spinning on the ice. No one can match her ease and flow.
Pang & Tong, Olympic FP - No one expected this team to deliver a stunning, standing-ovation skate at the Olympics - what a joy. A true Olympic moment!
Mao at Worlds, and 3-3A Olympics - Finally, after such a grim season, she comes out on top. What a fighter! It makes me so excited for her for next season.
Joannie's SP at the Olympics. Simply unbelievable. We saw the spiritual strength under her physical strength.
Tessa & Scott's Mahler FP. High art on ice. (Sorry, Joesitz. :p) They bring the class back to ice dance after terrorists, peasants, and cartoon "Injuns" tried to steal it.
Meryl & Charlie's OD - Just a wow of a program, brilliantly conceived and brilliantly performed.

I couldn't get it to 10, and left out so many! It was a wonderful season and shows why the Olympics are so important.

So many nice lists here (JennyL the exception :disagree: ) and I agree with most of them.
Spun comes closest to my feelings - and yes, I was happy for Johnny and the way he delivered two beautiful programs in Vancouver - but he would not be at the top of my list.

That place is hard to pick - because I loved V/M so much, also how Evan - against all odds, and with such a deep field proved hard work can top reputation and even talent. Evan also proved skating is a SPORT - and that being able to COMPETE counts the same way it does in other sports!!

No surprise to anyone who reads my posts - but Mirai was my absolute joy this season. And also Akiko! They showed me that the spirit has not gone out of skating - and watching them this season convinced me more than ever that I will love figure skating forever.

I also have to mention Joannie - and what she showed in Vancouver was to me indescribable. Such indominable spirit - such determination - and such grace. :love:

Olympic years are always historic and special. Those who want Worlds cancelled in Olympic years because Yuna came 2nd in Torino I say :disagree:

Yuna had a dream season and she is a glorious Olympic Champion.

As a skating fan I was also happy to see Mao deliver at Worlds. She is also an incredible skater.

ARipp42014

Medalist
can you explain, please? Haven't heard about it...

After Masha & Max's FS to Love Story, NBC showed Jamie and David (who was doing commentary on CTV) and Jamie's face was priceless. She was like "oh no they didn't skate to 'our' music!"

Worst moments of 2010 :cry:
1) Joannie's mom dies 2 days before the Ladies SP
2) Oda "atomic bombs" the SP in Torino
3) Masha & Max's near-Babs moment after the SP in Vancouver
4) Anna crying after she and Luca's FD in Torino
5) Carolina "Hubert'd" in Vancouver
6) Adam's dejected face after the SP at Nationals
7) Mao failed to medal in Rost. Cup in Russia
8) Verner's entire season after Paris
9) All those international commentators who constantly made fun of Johnny Gaga (SHAME ON YOU!)
10) DomShabs' OD

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
1. Shen and Zhao won gold at Vancouver
2. Lambiel's silver at Euros
3. Oda's LP at the Grand Prix Final
4. Adam Rippon's triple Lutz
5. Yu-Na's world record and gold
6-7. Virtue and Moir's and Davis and White's FD (I can't decide which is better)
8. The Bollywood program
9. Pang and Tong's lp at the Olympics
10. Hungary will send two pairs in ice dance for the next wolrd's because of the 10th place of Nóri and Max

Bijoux

Match Penalty
finally gold for shen/zhao....evan's great performance and gold.....watching Flatt and esp Mirai do great programs! Wonderful!...Joannie's SP, what a cryfest! The resurgence of beautiful ice dance and seeing Canada take the deserved gold! (wish it had been Bourne/Kraatz, the best ever, IMO,)....seeing Mao make history! seeing plushy compete again.....watching stephane's gala skate...Johnny Weir in general at the olys, ....jeremy abbotts great nationals, i missed much of the season. YUNA's crowning was anticlimactic for me.

vicivici

Spectator
1.Yuna's short at Eric.. when her lips move upward at start..(so dizzy)
2.Yuna's short at Worlds ..first mistake and her embarassed face...(rare and some cute)
3.Yuna's free at Worlds.. after salchow when she showed some upset slightly..
4.Oda's waltz (I missed the moment his lace....Love his LP...so much)
5.Joannie's short at Oly..(So brave, touching and clean...)
6.Yuna's free at oly..when she showed smile after flip or Lutz..can't remember exactly...
7.Plu's Gala after Oly..showed his emontion..yay..

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
In no particular order:
1) Yu Na's tears of joy/ relief on completing her FS in Vancouver.
2) Virtue/ Moir's 3 Olympic skates and the ice dance medal ceremony. Never been happier as a FS fan! :love:
3) Pang/ Tong's Olympic FS. I think that's the best skating I've ever seen from them.
4) Marlie's Bollywood OD. Zueva is a genius.
5) Joannie's courage and grace.
6) Akiko Suzuki. She's such a delight to watch; I remember thinking she was the only one who looked like she really enjoyed skating at CoC.
7) Belbin/ Agosto's classiness. And their awesome commentary.
8) Shen/ Zhao's joy at finally clinching OGM.
9) The redemption of Mao, Brian, Carolina at Worlds.
10) Daisuke wins Worlds GOLD with an attempt at a quad flip!! :eek:

HM: The Kerrs reviving their Scottish OD, V/M's Skate Canada FD (the first time they debuted their new ending), Oda's TEB FS, the V/M vs D/W rivalry, no falls from the top 7 ladies at the Olympics FS, Kozuka's Worlds SP, Mirai's Worlds SP and Olympics FS.

Layfan

Record Breaker
1. Yuna Kim's Olympic performance. Who cares that she messed up at worlds? She was the most perfect Olympic gold medalist I have ever seen. The absolute best of figure skating this season. And her tears at the end of her FS were priceless. Oh, and the fact that the Korean stock market tipped while she skated. I loved that.
2. Mirai making a splash skating last at the Olympics. She is divine.
3. Evan's gold and especially his reaction when he realized he won. YOU GO!!
4. Sasha Cohen's SP at nationals. Her comeback was worth it just to see her split leap into her spiral. Seriously.
5. Mao pushing through a rocky season to land 3 axles at the Olympics and then finishing with a gold at worlds. Woohoo! So well deserved for a great skater who has struggled so much.
6. Joannie Rochette's Olympic SP. I'll never ever forget that moment.
7. Jeremy Abbott's two perfect skates at nationals. He's divine, too.
8. Johnny Weir's gorgeous skating at the Olympics and him calming the crowd as they booed his scores.
9. Everything Mirai said at press conferences, especially about the "free stuff" and the description of the sushi roll her parents named after her. Hee!
10. Daisuke Takahashi's Worlds gold medal. Actually, just his skating in general. I could watch him forever.

hmm. I ran out of numbers. But Shen and Zhao winning gold was pretty sweet, too.

youtubo

Rinkside
Yu-Na's Crowning at Oly
Lysacek's sp at the Olympics
Takahashi's sp at the Olympics
Lysacek's freeskate
The moment Lysacek realized that he won the gold medal
Yu-Na's sp
Yu-Na's lp
Shen/Zhao winning the gold medal at the Olympics
Takahashi winning the World's gold
Pant/Tong winning gold at Worlds
Laura winning the bronze medal at Worlds

Bennett

Record Breaker
1. Yuna Kim's Olympic performance. Who cares that she messed up at worlds? She was the most perfect Olympic gold medalist I have ever seen. The absolute best of figure skating this season. And her tears at the end of her FS were priceless. Oh, and the fact that the Korean stock market tipped while she skated. I loved that.
2. Mirai making a splash skating last at the Olympics. She is divine.
3. Evan's gold and especially his reaction when he realized he won. YOU GO!!
4. Sasha Cohen's SP at nationals. Her comeback was worth it just to see her split leap into her spiral. Seriously.
5. Mao pushing through a rocky season to land 3 axles at the Olympics and then finishing with a gold at worlds. Woohoo! So well deserved for a great skater who has struggled so much.
6. Joannie Rochette's Olympic SP. I'll never ever forget that moment.
7. Jeremy Abbott's two perfect skates at nationals. He's divine, too.
8. Johnny Weir's gorgeous skating at the Olympics and him calming the crowd as they booed his scores.
9. Everything Mirai said at press conferences, especially about the "free stuff" and the description of the sushi roll her parents named after her. Hee!
10. Daisuke Takahashi's Worlds gold medal. Actually, just his skating in general. I could watch him forever.

hmm. I ran out of numbers. But Shen and Zhao winning gold was pretty sweet, too.

Beautiful post.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
BEST TEN MOMENTS:
1. Evan's wonderful sportsmanship at the Olympics. I don't know how he did that. If someone was talking that way about me, I'd be a lot nastier. I did not hear one nasty word come out of his mouth.
2. Evan finding out he won the gold and seeing him on the top of the podium
3. Evan's amazing Olympic Free Skate and reactions
4. Evan's beautiful short at the Olympics and his emotions afterwards
5. Ryan's Free Skate at US Nationals. he's usually inconsistent and that was a nice surprise.
6. Jeremy and Adam skating well at worlds and securing three spots for the US
7. Johnny skating well at the Olympics (even though he was underscored)
8. Evan replying to my e-mail (ok, maybe that's not exactly a skating moment, but it was pretty awesome)
9. The US ice dancers placing so high at the Olympics. Though I'm not a big fan of Davis and White, the US ice dancing used to be such a struggle. Now, it's clear we're among the best. Also Virtue and Moir.... sure they're Canadian, but this was great for North America in general and I loved seeing them on the podium leading the crowd in "O Canada"
10. Shen and Zhao finally winning gold.

WORST TEN MOMENTS:
1. Joannie Rochette's mother dying
2. Plushenko's horrible sportsmanship. All I can say is, he's lucky he lost to Evan. I would've gotten a lot nastier.
3. Yu Na Kim's continued fixed scores. Her Olympic programs were the most overscored I've ever seen. She's so boring. And her face annoys me. IDK why.
4. Evan's horrible Nationals. But that was made up for by his great Olympics.
5. Ryan not being named to the Olympic team
6. Ryan having to skate at Worlds with a broken foot and bombing what was probably has last competition
7. Johnny not being placed higher in the Olympics. IMO he deserved silver.
8. Not really having a lady I was rooting for in the Olympics. I was really just "anybody but Kim."
9. Belbin/ Agosto being beaten by Domnina and Shabalin. I thought they deserved that bronze, maybe even silver.
10. Judges' apparent hatred of American skaters. Every single American skater was underscored at Worlds, as were all Americans except Evan and Merlie at the Olympics. If you don't like our government's policies, keep it in the political arena and don't take it out on our athletes.

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
1. Judges didn't steal the show. Rather fair judging, Speedy(strangely) killed the big part of the maffia (surprise)
2. Yu-Na Kim. The quality of her skating at the Oly. Breathtaking, clean, classy, elegant, human.Memorable.
3.Virtue/Moir. The same applied as for Yu-na.
4.Shen-Zhao. Olympic Gold Medal. A lifetime achievement. It made me proud somehow.
5.Takahashi at the World. Technique, lovable personality and art. Very rare combination.
6.Davis-White performances. Any of them. Virtuos, bravura. They are standing on the earth with their both legs (V/M are flying above the clouds)
7.Pang/Tong FS at the Oly, winning the World.
8.Besides Kim, having another genius, Mao Asada at the same time. Both are all-time greatness.
9.Joannie Rochette made the World cry and believe that, there is a life after....
10.The face of P., when his scores showed up. ( I'm not bad, just honest, and I don't really rooting to L. either, I did it for Takahashi and Lambiel).It was his only natural, human gesture .For a few second he forgot that he does it for money.

These are just numbers, not orders....

Last edited by a moderator:

conny_ladybug

Spectator
1 Shen&Zhao at GPF-till then I finally believed that their ultimate dream could come true!
2 Plushy&Stephane's Euros-what a comeback!
3 Akiko-:agree:
4 Pang&Tong OG LP-I can't hold tears any longer,what a performance!
5 Shen&Zhao finally realizing they are OGM!
6 yuna OG LP
7 Virtue&Moir OG OD-They got it!
8 Pang&Tong World's LP
9 Mirai OG SP
10 OG Ex Gala-Missing so much

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm curious, what did she say?

she didn't say anything, it was the supposed expression on her face - most thought she looked disgusted, I think she was just bored. For all we know they cut to her at a completely different time than her actual reaction to the end of the program.

Goldenskater

Rinkside
Top 10 Moments:

1. Joannie Rochette skating two great programs at Oly.
2. Evan's Gold at Oly.
3. Mao's smiling face in the podium at Oly.
4. Mao's Gold at World.
5. Shen/Zhao's happy ending at Oly.
6. Yuna's SP/FP at Oly.
7. Mirai's FP at Oly.
8. Lysacek's SP at Oly.
9. Laura's Bronze at World.
10. Carolina's FS at World.