after the fact, ice dance vancouver? | Golden Skate

after the fact, ice dance vancouver?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Now that the emotion/hype is over can someone explain to me (i like maybe 4 teams in history-know nothing re ice dance) how Belgosto did not get bronze over those awfully dressed, poorly choreographed Russians? How did the silver medalists not get that bronze? seriously...

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well DomShabs' CD was pretty great, that's where TanBen have never been their greatest in... but it seems silly to think they lost it in the very first part of the competition. I still haven't seen the ODs

Big Deal

Final Flight
Good question.
I'm sure Mrs. Linichuk has send her clear unofficial signs for the judges and officials that her No1 couple is Domnina-Shabalin, the reigning WorldChampions after Belbin-Agosto lost the American Championships and had not the slightest chance to win Oly Gold.

Anyway, don't be too heartbroken. Belbin-Agosto already got their HUGE gift winning silver in 2006.

Audrey19

On the Ice
There is no logic explanation for it. Yes, their CD was one of the best, but the margins were much too big between the top couples. DomShabs were overscored, that's it, politics got them an olympic bronze medal, a world title and two european titles. there are no words...

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Now that the emotion/hype is over can someone explain to me (i like maybe 4 teams in history-know nothing re ice dance) how Belgosto did not get bronze over those awfully dressed, poorly choreographed Russians? How did the silver medalists not get that bronze? seriously...

A lot of politics was involved for sure, but if you ask me, I thought BelbinAgosto were as poorly coreographed as DomShabs and almost as badly dressed, (not that costumes should matter much, but still), plus the russians were head and shoulders above them on the CD. The real question should be how Faiella Scalli rocked with their OD and had a wonderulf FD and still were a distant fifth place.

DomShabs were gifted a bronze medal, but Im not so sure if BelAgosto were soo much wuzrobbed. If that makes any sense.:think:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I agree with SamuraiKike. Belbin/Agosto had mediocre programs that really set them back from the field. Linichuk's programs for DomShabs seemed designed to hide their issues (read: his knees) whereas B/A had programs that really didn't play to their strengths.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think that the judges were not ready to give North American sweep. B/A should have won even though their CD were not as strong as the Russians.

Audrey19

On the Ice
agreed, Belgosto weren't robbed off the bronze, Fede & Massi were. Still, Belgosto were much better than DomShabs. The ice dance bronze medal at the olympics continues to be controversial.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Try being no. 2 Linichuk and no. 2 American. Their CD wasn't great at all, but they got hosed scoring more than a full point lower than D/W. OD and FD were just choreographic mess. It was like Linichuk bet against her own teams.