Rachael Flatt's admission decisions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt's admission decisions

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I thought Stanford was her dream school so I surprised she did not make it official that she was going there as soon as she got in!

Princeton is closer to ice rinks with better coaches - the Ice House in Hackensack, the rink in NJ where Johnny and Ksenia skate, skating clubs in NY, etc. Stanford isn't near any reknown ice rink so it would be harder to continue training.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For some reasons, I thought she wanted to go to Harvard. I wonder she did not get in? Anyway, I really admire this young girl. Whatever she chooses to do, I know she will be successful.

Rachael has always mentioned Stanford when talking about college---I never can recall her saying Harvard was high on her list.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rachael has always mentioned Stanford when talking about college---I never can recall her saying Harvard was high on her list.

May 1st is in 3 days, so I guess we'll all know what she decides then (that's the day deposits are due), unless she got waitlisted somewhere and is waiting to hear if she gets off the wait list.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
For selfish reasons (namely, going to one of the NJ colleges not too far from Princeton), I hope Rachael picks Princeton. Then, if she does any shows because they're close locations to school, or anything like send-off shows for competitions, I can easily take a train or bus and go see her live. That would be awesome.

Then again, I hope she picks whatever has the programs she wants and will make her happy. College is an awesome experience, and I hope she enjoys it.

Trewyn

Medalist
Looks like she'll do at least one more year of competitive skating then... She probably hopes to gain at least one worlds medal... Without a full course load and not having the pressure of obtaining straight As all year; so being able to focus entirely on skating; will she become even more competitive?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am surprised that she is putting school off for a year. Seems like a good decision. This way she will be able
to focus totally on her skating. I think that her skating will improve and I look forward to seeing the result.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope that she'll acquire some artistry and learn how to make her spins more aesthetically pleasing in the coming year, I think that's what she really needs to become a tier one skater. Tara and Johnny were talking about how shocked they were that she was so low in the rankings at Worlds but I really wasn't that surprised - Rachael without the 3-3 becomes a very run-of-the-mill skater because she isn't artistic, elegant, or flexible. If she can work on those things though, and get her 3-3 consistent again, then she can likely be competitive for a world medal in the coming season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe that Rachael wasn't accepted at Havard or even at Duke! What more could a school want than a student who graduates summa cum laude while winning the US FS Championships and competing at Olympics ! I guess someone didn't like her skating outfit--or something. Oh well, she'll just have to go to Stanford, which is better than Duke any day, in my book! (apologies to any Duke alums)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I can't believe that Rachael wasn't accepted at Havard or even at Duke! What more could a school want than a student who graduates summa cum laude while winning the US FS Championships and competing at Olympics ! I guess someone didn't like her skating outfit--or something. Oh well, she'll just have to go to Stanford, which is better than Duke any day, in my book! (apologies to any Duke alums)

Duke is known for keeping an over-qualified waitlist....

It'll be interesting to see whether concentrating fully on skating gives Rachael any kind of boost in style and finesse. I hope it does; I'd love to see her get an international medal after her hard work and consistency. She's not a skater who gives me gooseflesh, the way Mao or YuNa do, but something rebellious in me wants her to succeed brilliantly, largely because she isn't glamorous or willowy as we expect our skaters to be. Skating needs the glory of variety!

As for her academic career, I have the feeling that even if she stretches it out, she'll still follow it to its fullest potential. One of skating's most intelligent and motivated students, Paul Wylie, took about a generation (exaggerating a bit here) to complete his undergraduate studies and then take a graduate degree, both at Harvard. And then there's Michelle, who finished her B.A. at 28 or so and still managed to muster up the energy and commitment for grad school.

princess9

On the Ice
She is one Fabulous girl! She is very petite and georgeous in her prom gown. Don't have a link but there's a thread on FSU with Fab Fotos!. What a great ladies Champ we have in Flatt. IMO she is vastly underrated by many folks. She, Mirai and Wagner have oodles of talent. I love our gals.:thumbsup:

John King

Final Flight
Last edited:
What a lovely photo. She always reminds me of Jayne Torvill, and it's especially obvious in this picture.

I agree with Prokofiev: I admire the fact that Rachael excels both in skating and in education. The more of that kind of skater we have, the happier I am.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
What a lovely photo. She always reminds me of Jayne Torvill, and it's especially obvious in this picture.

I agree with Prokofiev: I admire the fact that Rachael excels both in skating and in education. The more of that kind of skater we have, the happier I am.

Me, too!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Either the photographer kneeled down or she's wearing really high heels (she looks "tall" in the pic)