Virtue Moir a kiss creates waves | Golden Skate

Virtue Moir a kiss creates waves

jennylovskt

Medalist
Maybe they want to cool it for a while because they've stayed together for so long? But I would love to see this fairy tale ending! They are so perfect for each other!:love::love::love:

oakl0008

Rinkside
I wonder what Jessica Dube, Moir's REAL girlfriend thinks of this "V/M belong together!" stuff? :biggrin:

I know it's just good fun from the media, but if it's taken any further from the fans, I would find it somewhat irritating.

It's acting. Figure skaters are great actors. Except for the ones that actually tried the transition to Hollywood, lol. :laugh:

herios

Medalist
I wonder what Jessica Dube, Moir's REAL girlfriend thinks of this "V/M belong together!" stuff? :biggrin:

I know it's just good fun from the media, but if it's taken any further from the fans, I would find it somewhat irritating.

It's acting. Figure skaters are great actors. Except for the ones that actually tried the transition to Hollywood, lol. :laugh:

I do not really understand how Scott can date Jessica when they are far apart and spend most of their time with someone else for that matter. It might last or not. And if it lasts, Jessica has to come to terms that Tessa was part of Scott's life most of their lives and in one way or another they will be connected in the future, as probabably they will skate for many years from now on. When you date Scott, you sort of date Tessa as well. It is a "package deal":laugh:

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Pairs and Dance couples have a very unique and unusual relationship. There are many aspects of a partnership that are similar to couples that date or a marriage but for the vast majority of skaters it is a working relationship and while they are often required to show emotions on the ice that to an outsider appear to be actual romance it is very much an act.

While an on ice partnership can sometimes lead to an off-ice relationship more often that not this doesn't happen. As a matter of fact many coaches actively discourage off-ice relationships between partners and sometime skaters at their rinks in general. An off-ice relationship that goes south can create a huge amount of drama at the rink that distracts from training not just for the couple involved but the entire training group.

There are some on ice partnerships that have shown huge amounts of romantic emotion without there ever having been on off-ice relationship. Martini and Underhill and Bourne and Kraatz come to mind.

bekalc

Record Breaker
While an on ice partnership can sometimes lead to an off-ice relationship more often that not this doesn't happen. As a matter of fact many coaches actively discourage off-ice relationships between partners and sometime skaters at their rinks in general. An off-ice relationship that goes south can create a huge amount of drama at the rink that distracts from training not just for the couple involved but the entire training group.

Yes. Its like any office romance, its normally just not a good idea. I think this is okay to say because both have mentioned this in an interview, but one of the reasons Jessica and Bryce's skating has gone downhill is because they had an off ice relationship that went south. When your relying on each other for your careers, getting involved in a dating relationship could really mess things up.

At this point though, since Virtue/Moir are world and Olympic champions, if they wanted to take the risk, I think it might be worth it for them. Because they have achieved everything already. But for the most part, I actually think fans of pairs/dance should be careful of what they wish for when it comes to hoping their favorite pairs/dance teams find true love.

Last edited:

jian10

Rinkside
Just reading Scott's body language, I thought he was in love with Tessa. I saw so much affection from Scott, but not so much from Tessa, though. No matter what they are a lovely team.

wallylutz

Medalist
I agree, in a team sport, dating can really hurt a partnership if the off-ice romance goes sour. In some team sports, dating is actually forbidden by the coach. I like the way they are. When you are together for 13+ years since you were kids, I am sure they know each other very well. Perhaps too well that there just isn't any room for romantic sparks. Hopefully, people will stop projecting their own fantasy and unrealistic expectations on this team.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Just reading Scott's body language, I thought he was in love with Tessa. I saw so much affection from Scott, but not so much from Tessa, though. No matter what they are a lovely team.

Scott is more expressive than Tessa in general. The thing is I wouldnt' be "surprised" if years from now they were to get together. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I do feel though that its kind of mean to Scott's Jess for all these people to be wishing for her boyfriend to break up with her. And I honestly think people need to understand that dating could seriously hurt their partnership.

Besides skating together can even hurt your relationship with your significant other even if you started out as a couple.. I know for example that Anton said in an interview that if he and Elena had wanted their personal relationship to work out, they should have never started skating together.

Plus just because someone is the right fit as skating partners, doesn't make them the right fit as partners in real life. And that goes for just anything.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think this is kinda a good thing for Jess and Scott. THey can laugh about it and hang out together without everybody snapping pictures and saying "look how cute!." High profile couples do not have a good track record of staying together.

herios

Medalist
I didn't follow it closely. Is Scott really dating Jessica?

Apparently yes, although I never understood this type of long distance relationships, (Him in Michigan, she in Quebec), most of the year. How can something like this last? Tanith for example, now she will move back to Detroit, once she stops competing, to be with Charlie. which makes sense.

feraina

Record Breaker

I thought just the opposite, that Tessa looks at Scott with eyes full of love, and Scott acts brotherly. :p

aurora100

Final Flight
I thought just the opposite, that Tessa looks at Scott with eyes full of love, and Scott acts brotherly. :p

This is what I thought too. Strange how people can look at same gestures and see completely opposite things...

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I think that Tessa and Scott would be a good couple, but I thought Scott had a girlfriend........

callalily

On the Ice
I think that Tessa and Scott would be a good couple, but I thought Scott had a girlfriend........

Yeah, he does. But who knows what will happen in the future? Tessa and Scott do seem a lot closer this season than ever before.

Having said that - mixing dating with a skating partnership can be a recipe for trouble. I hope they'll continue skating for many years (and from some recent articles it sounds like they want that too) so maybe it's better if they keep their relationship the way it is.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think there have been more unsuccesful dating relationships between ice partners than successful.

Wortzel/Steuer - bad breakup, but managed to keep it together on ice to win World's.
Brasseur/Eisler - tried dating, but decided it was better to not
Bechke/Petrov - married then divorced.
Usova/Zhulin

Successful -
Gordeeva/Grinkov
Meno/Sands - although technically they married after their competitive years were over.
Punsalon/Swallow

RUKen

Rinkside
I think there have been more unsuccesful dating relationships between ice partners than successful.

Wortzel/Steuer - bad breakup, but managed to keep it together on ice to win World's.
Brasseur/Eisler - tried dating, but decided it was better to not
Bechke/Petrov - married then divorced.
Usova/Zhulin

Successful -
Gordeeva/Grinkov
Meno/Sands - although technically they married after their competitive years were over.
Punsalon/Swallow

That's a pretty small sample. The Protopopovs have been happily married for decades since their pairs' skating career. Albena Denkova has famously stood by Maxim Staviskiy through his post-career troubles; I think we'd have to call that a successful relationship. Shen and Zhao have seemed pretty happy together.

I think that the problem with beginning a dating relationship with your skating partner is not that it is less likely to succeed than relationships with off-ice acquaintances, it is that continuing the skating career together must be exceptionally uncomfortable if the relationship doesn't work out, and it is not so easy to resume your career at a World Championship level with a new partner.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Trouble, schmouble.....
Haven't you people seen Tessa? :think:

Perhaps I am a BIG minority here - but as a straight guy who likes skating - and has seen Tessa skate, and smile, and .......

What guy wouldn't want to kiss her :love: :laugh: