Fresh rankings:Yu-Na kim is the №1,Rochette second | Golden Skate

Fresh rankings:Yu-Na kim is the №1,Rochette second

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The rankings only mean so much. Right now, the Kerrs outrank Virtue/Moir because V/M missed the GP season in 2008/09 (no points) and don't do the senior B comps (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, etc). If you look at the ladies rankings here, you see that Asada got hammered by her GP season and missing the podium at Worlds last year/coming in third ad 4CC. This year, she won 4CC and Worlds and came second in the Olympics, but if my understanding is correct, all that's grouped under the first heading, and they only take one (the best) result.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The ISU world standings have quite a few flaws that don't make it as representative of the current state of the top competitor as it should be. I hope some of them get fixed at the next congress. Right know it relies too heavy in small competitions (GP and specially Senior B) and the big results (euros, olys, worlds, jr. worlds) dont have the weight they should have.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

Once again, this website uses super flawed terminology without linking to the original source.

The article references the ISU Ladies World Standings, which can be accessed at http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wsladies.htm. Important to note is that the numbers refer to the points the skaters obtained throughout the past 2 seasons based on the tariffs attributed to each event, and NOT "votes" as the article would suggest.

Please stop with the blatant self-promotion of your website, or at least include a link to the original source in the post, if not in the article itself.

The purpose of the ISU rankings is to try to get top skaters to participate the B events and also Four Continents. At the end of the year the top point-earners get some money, to sweeten the pot.

The reason that high placement at Worlds and the Olympics does not count as much as it should is that the gradation is only 50 points between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, etc. A skater can easily make this up by taking in a minor competition somewhere else.

The ISU ranking system has also come under criticism because it favors European skaters. Most of the the B events are in Europe and skaters from the rest of the world often don't bother with them.

Yes, "votes" is a bad translation.

lavender

Record Breaker
Mao is really the 2nd rank skater. I would even put Miki ahead of Joanie because the past 4 years it was Mao, Yu na and Miki that won worlds and placed on the podium those years. However it is a points system so it is what it is. This is how I view tennis...the rankings don't always tell the story.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would for sure have Mao second considering she won Worlds. I don't get why Mirai is 15th and Racheal is 9th. There are a lot of things I don't get about the system but as always, Yu-na is the undisputed leader.

miki88

Medalist
The ISU ranking is kinda strange. I remember for a long time Carolina was ranked first. I think the ranking at Icenetwork is more accurate because it is more reflective of current results.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
The thing that really stinks about these rankings is that they are used to do determine skating order. Mirai is still ranked fairly low, forcing her to skate earlier in the event. This hurt her PCS at the Olympics, hopefully it doesn't happen again!

The ISU ranking is kinda strange. I remember for a long time Carolina was ranked first. I think the ranking at Icenetwork is more accurate because it is more reflective of current results.

Again, I think the two rankings have different purposes. The main goal of the icenetwork rankings is to determine who the best skaters are. The ISU rankings are for the purpose of rewarding skaters who do what the ISU wants them to, in terms of entering many ISU competitions.

chronos13

Rinkside
Generally, the ranking seem to be correct but there are some parts that make me wonder how this was done...