Oda's New Season | Golden Skate

Oda's New Season

Bennett

Record Breaker
Boy, he's going to leave Morosov and get married. What is his season going to be like?
He needs to find a coach/choreographer. Many changes. He also needs his confidence back and start acting like a champion. He'll go back to school, too. He needs to do internship at secondary school to get the needed credits to be an English teacher in future.

This is just my speculation, but I think it all possible that he ends up becoming an English teacher sometime soon, giving up skating altogether.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
Is it official that he goes back to school? Where did he say that he wants to be an English teacher?? I never heard this before. I don't see why he would do this now, at the age of 23. He'd better pull himself together and give his skating career a new start, that will be hard enough after the two idiotic meltdowns at Olympics and Worlds. This, and his new family situation should be enough for the moment. He can do different jobs later.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yes, I think that going back to school is official. It came out before this marriage news. It is possible that this marriage changes his decision though.
He could be teaching something else, but AFAIK he wants to be a school teacher; that's what I heard and read several times. Then he'd definitely needs to graduate.

I think that Oda's life has had a series of unexpected surprises. Then now, he's going to have a family. How would you balance that with school life and skating? With the hope to become a teacher in the future, he needs to do decently well at school in terms of academic attendance and high school internship etc. That already deserves a full-time commitment, taking a lot of focus away. Then he needs to support his family. His girlfriend is the same age as his.

Nob's income source is unclear. He's been trained under the best coaches and choreographers. Did JSF pay all that? I wonder. In any case, he's not like Mao who has numerous sponsors. I doubt if he has any. Then how do they make ends meet? If a baby really comes as suggested, the situation becomes even harder to deal with.

Can Nob realistically handle all these and find any focus on skating? He does not seem like Shizuka Arakawa or Rachael Flatt in dealing with situations.

But I think that he'd try to remain competitive at least for a while. Then he needs a Japanese coach and a choreographer of any country.

Although I hope he does well, I highly doubt that he develops the champion mentality this season. Just too many happenings going on to really reflect upon oneself.

Last edited: