Watched any good past competitions/shows lately? | Golden Skate

Watched any good past competitions/shows lately?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm currently moving my VHS collection to DVD, so I've been watching a lot of competitions from the early 2000s and late 90s... haven't gotten to 'the Golden Era' much yet...

watching them I'm reminded of some skaters/teams that didn't make the transition from 6.0 skaters to CoP skaters and so they just faded out. Some great skaters, some great personalities...

I've found myself going "oh yeah, I remember them!" quite a bit.

Anyone else watching their skating tape/DVD collection during the off season getting that same bit of nostalgia? (and while I'm at it, I still don't see the vast difference that some push on this board between the programs/skaters of 6.0 and the CoP... some skaters were just as boring before as they are now)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have computer videos of various ladies' programs dating back to 2003 but I don't think I've touched them since moving them from CD-ROMs to DVD back a few years ago...and since I've now been capturing in HD, I think I need to upgrade to a blu-ray disc drive...in which case I'll get another chance to dig them up ;)

Still looking for stuff from the 2002-2003 season, though...would like some of those competitions on archive :(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you're interested in doing this the long way around, you could go to youtube, download the programs you want for your disk in high quality (best mp4) and then play them in a player (like VLC player) that supports a playlist option. 3Axel1996 has just uploaded nearly everything from the 2002 Olympics for example. I just downloaded Winkler & Lohse's programs, which weren't in my stash of tapes.

As to what I'm watching myself, I was watchin 3Axel1996's youtube upload of the 1978 and 1979 world championships.

A youtube download site that works well is http://keep-tube.com

R.D.

Record Breaker
If you're interested in doing this the long way around, you could go to youtube, download the programs you want for your disk in high quality (best mp4) and then play them in a player (like VLC player) that supports a playlist option. 3Axel1996 has just uploaded nearly everything from the 2002 Olympics for example. I just downloaded Winkler & Lohse's programs, which weren't in my stash of tapes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been there, done that...what I really wanted was an archive of the entire competition (in better quality) and there are tidbits and interviews (that don't get put up on YT) that I'm interested in as well. I want to be the one to pick and choose what parts of a comp I want to keep, rather than have other people do that for me if you know what I mean ;)

LeReveur

On the Ice
I'm watching the 2005 Worlds- had never seen it before- and though I wasn't watching with overly scrutinizing eyes, HOW did Zhang/Zhang score ahead of Pang/Tong? Artistically, I felt that there were gulfs- yes, plural- between the two, and technically Zhang/Zhang were sloppy in many places. I've had some other "HUH?" moments, too, but am curious to see if anyone agrees with me on those 2 placements.

princess9

On the Ice
I hope all you folks upload all your videos to youtube. There are so many great pro and even all the cheesefests from the 90's would be good fun to watch.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I'm watching the 2005 Worlds- had never seen it before- and though I wasn't watching with overly scrutinizing eyes, HOW did Zhang/Zhang score ahead of Pang/Tong? Artistically, I felt that there were gulfs- yes, plural- between the two, and technically Zhang/Zhang were sloppy in many places. I've had some other "HUH?" moments, too, but am curious to see if anyone agrees with me on those 2 placements.

I don't remember that Worlds in too much detail, but I thought that Zhang and Zhang were often overscored during that time period, especially at the 06 Olympics.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Now, I haven't nor plan to ever break it down bullet point by bullet point, but re: Toni's musing about how different COP and 6.0 programs really are, I was struck while watching Albertville Olympics this weekend by how COP-friendly Wylie's wonderful performances look. Tons of transitional moves, jumps out of steps, things like that. Anyone else think so?

Watching Albertville was fun, I often see different things over time and with repeat viewings. I also watched Lillehammer '94 and SLC '02 over the last week, awa '98 Nagano ladies. (Still give the nod to Michelle for what seems to me to be a true work of art and a program for the ages, but I love Tara's performance, too; I always really liked both.) Once I would've said M/D were all-time pair favorites but I would give sort of the ultimate prize for "pairness" quality (totally subjective of course) to G&G, whom I also adored. But the more I re-visit G&G actually the less I am stunned by them. Still spectacular of course but again in a completely subjective way my top pick of all time for that "pairness" quality is now Elena and Anton. Wow -- so in tune with each other's moves, such easiness and quality in everything they do. But M/D still remain my all-time favorite pair, I just loved their intricate moves, their music and costumes, etc. I can watch them over and over.

princess9

On the Ice
Now, I haven't nor plan to ever break it down bullet point by bullet point, but re: Toni's musing about how different COP and 6.0 programs really are, I was struck while watching Albertville Olympics this weekend by how COP-friendly Wylie's wonderful performances look. Tons of transitional moves, jumps out of steps, things like that. Anyone else think so?

Watching Albertville was fun, I often see different things over time and with repeat viewings. I also watched Lillehammer '94 and SLC '02 over the last week, awa '98 Nagano ladies. (Still give the nod to Michelle for what seems to me to be a true work of art and a program for the ages, but I love Tara's performance, too; I always really liked both.) Once I would've said M/D were all-time pair favorites but I would give sort of the ultimate prize for "pairness" quality (totally subjective of course) to G&G, whom I also adored. But the more I re-visit G&G actually the less I am stunned by them. Still spectacular of course but again in a completely subjective way my top pick of all time for that "pairness" quality is now Elena and Anton. Wow -- so in tune with each other's moves, such easiness and quality in everything they do. But M/D still remain my all-time favorite pair, I just loved their intricate moves, their music and costumes, etc. I can watch them over and over.

Wylie is a skater for the ages. Who cares about medals. So was Toller Cranston, what an artist. Even at 45 he was still a great skater.
y I agree that Elena/Anton could have been a greatly loved pair but Elena was nothing like Katia to watch. The man must present the woman. In B/S, one cannot stop watching Anton. He is the true artist in that pair. They were not in love and therefore lacked that oneness chemistry that exudes from G/G.

I as first thought the Canadians were indeed robbed of gold in SLC as they did skate beautifully and as one. But I recently watched B/S again at SLC and can't help but concede that had they been perfect and more into each other and the skate, they should have won. They were never as charming as S/P but the difficulty and exquisite positions were there. As an amateur, I always noticed the fear/worry in her eyes as she looked to Anton for assurance. He was a consummate actor on the ice. If they had been as enjoyable to watch as G/G they would have won everything despite a bobble on a jump. Were they skating as freely and less with tension, I think they would have had a clear case for solo gold despite Anton's bobble on the jump. They really were the better pair, IMO. It was hard to discern with all the hoopla/scandal that went on. Funny I see it differently 8 years later.