Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th | Golden Skate

Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th

cooper

Medalist
There will be another exhibition in Seoul on June 5~6, titled "Super Match X - Medalists on Ice."
The confirmed skaters include:

Evan Lysaek
Evgeni Plushenko
J. Rochette

and...

Mao Asada

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/YunaBliss/jowi201004201535490.jpg

It has been reported that Yuna will NOT participate, due to conflicting schedule (she will be training in Toronto), but given the all-star cast and that most medal winners from Vancouver Olympics will be there, it remains to be seen whether Hyundai (the main sponser of the event) will be able to persuade Yuna to come.

I demand a petition to Hyundai to let Yuna skate, just to see Yuna and Mao together! :laugh:

sunny0760

On the Ice
Other participants reported...

Men : Lysacek, Plushenko, Lambiel, Buttle and Koreans Kim Min-seok(16), Lee Dong-won(13)

Ladies : Asada, Rochette

Pairs : Shen/Zao, Pang/Tong

According to articles and reports, Yuna will not participate there.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Whoa. For real?! It would be THE EVENT of the off-season for sure, especially if they manage to persuade Yu-Na. But... why isn't Daisuke on the list? I read somewhere that he's having a bolt (???) taken out of his knee this May. Is this why?

ETA: Have since learned that due to Yu-Na's history with IMG Korea, her presence at this show is a no go... *sigh*

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I read that it is hard to do quads in exhibitions because it is dark but Lambiel did one on the show On Thin Ice-it wasn't judged so who knows if he really did one! So all this talk about quads and there will be no quads. I mean that is what people will be talking about if Plushenko and Lysacek skate in the same show, no? I think so.

skateflatt

Rinkside
There will be another exhibition in Seoul on June 5~6, titled "Super Match X - Medalists on Ice."
The confirmed skaters include:

Evan Lysaek
Evgeni Plushenko
J. Rochette

and...

Mao Asada

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/YunaBliss/jowi201004201535490.jpg

It has been reported that Yuna will NOT participate, due to conflicting schedule (she will be training in Toronto), but given the all-star cast and that most medal winners from Vancouver Olympics will be there, it remains to be seen whether Hyundai (the main sponser of the event) will be able to persuade Yuna to come.

I demand a petition to Hyundai to let Yuna skate, just to see Yuna and Mao together! :laugh:
Yay Yay, Jo Ro in da house! No Yuna??

Basics

On the Ice
I know for sure that Yuna will not skate here for some certain issues. I hope Daisuke comes for IAS in August.

cooper

Medalist
Olympians to Visit Korea for Ice Show

By Kang Seung-woo
Staff Reporter

The local ice show ``Hyundai Card Super Match X ― Medalists on Ice'' will bring a slew of Vancouver Olympic medalists in figure skating to Korea in June, Hyundai Card announced Tuesday.

Mao Asada of Japan and Joannie Rochette of Canada, who won silver and bronze medals in the women's singles in February, respectively, will perform in front of the fast-growing number of local figure skating fans.

Olympic gold medalist Kim Yu-na will not appear due to her training schedule.

On the men's side, Olympic champion Evan Lysacek of the United States and runner-up Evgeny Plushenko of Russia will be in the show for the second straight year.

The roster of the pair skating also includes two medal-winning duos from China ― Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, and Pang Qing and Tong Jian ― who finished first and second, respectively.

The show will also feature former world champions Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland and Jeffrey Buttle of Canada.

The two-day event will take place on June 5 and 6 at Jamsil Gymnasium in Seoul.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/04/136_64540.html

This show will be hosted by IMG Korea and there's a conflict between this agency and Yuna's agency IB sports.

And IMG Korea is an evil agency, especially what they did to Yuna. Ok I'm done. :scowl:

Last edited:

UM84

On the Ice
Bad move by Evan, if Plushenko wins and beats Evan then we have to hear all over again about how he should of won

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Yuna is training for what ??? in June. It seems she might not want a rematch with Asada. Why would she not be in this show? Training? I don't think so...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Olympians to Visit Korea for Ice Show

By Kang Seung-woo
Staff Reporter

The local ice show ``Hyundai Card Super Match X ― Medalists on Ice'' will bring a slew of Vancouver Olympic medalists in figure skating to Korea in June, Hyundai Card announced Tuesday.

Mao Asada of Japan and Joannie Rochette of Canada, who won silver and bronze medals in the women's singles in February, respectively, will perform in front of the fast-growing number of local figure skating fans.

Olympic gold medalist Kim Yu-na will not appear due to her training schedule.

On the men's side, Olympic champion Evan Lysacek of the United States and runner-up Evgeny Plushenko of Russia will be in the show for the second straight year.

The roster of the pair skating also includes two medal-winning duos from China ― Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, and Pang Qing and Tong Jian ― who finished first and second, respectively.

The show will also feature former world champions Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland and Jeffrey Buttle of Canada.

The two-day event will take place on June 5 and 6 at Jamsil Gymnasium in Seoul.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/04/136_64540.html

This show will be hosted by IMG Korea and there's a conflict between this agency and Yuna's agency IB sports.

And IMG Korea is an evil agency, especially what they did to Yuna. Ok I'm done. :scowl:

What exactly did IMG do to Yuna?

Obviously though IMG represents a bunch of those folks and it's the organizer for both SOI in North American and Japan. So the line up isn't all that surprising.

Although some IMG skaters have done IB shows with Yuna including Shen/Zhao and oddly enough Brian Orser is also listed as an IMG client...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuna is training for what ??? in June. It seems she might not want a rematch with Asada. Why would she not be in this show? Training? I don't think so...

It's valid that she could be training new programs for next year. It's been mentioned on here that she's going to do new programs whether or not she continues. But I have a feeling that her lack of availablity is probably a contract thing that we're not privy to here.

sunny0760

On the Ice

This is not a match. Nobody wins or gets defeated.
Have you read above posts? :scowl:
It's called an ice show held in Korea in order to show exibitions of (mainly) the olympic medalists who are mostly managed by IMG.(Yuna does not belong to IMG)

Bijoux

Match Penalty
no i have a big headache! I assumed it would be a made for tv competition. And someone mentioned plush vs. yags. If this is a competition its of interest. But if just another show where the skating is unrehearsed who cares? Thought it might be competition format. The recent show was such sloppy skating, awful unrehearsed group numbers. Apparently this matters not to Korean fans. Sorry, thought this might be a competitive show we'd all like to see, not another cheesefest.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Super Match, BTW implies a match up, ie competition, so the title itself is misleading and a misnomer.

sleepymom

Rinkside
Bijoux, I'm done with your racial slur. Bye, I can't find reporting button but I'm heading off to add you to ignore list.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
There is no racial slur! The fans there will buy any skating show if you look at the quality of these thrown together shows. I watched some on youtube and there were not many rehearsed nice numbers no group numbers! But fans there buy anything in skating and anything Yuna puts out. Thats a fact. These one week rehearsal shows were not quality in my opinion. Nothing to do with race! Sorry a cheesefest is a cheesefest and I think there have been several there. I thought this was a real televised Match as stated. Stop calling people racists! You don't know me and could not be more wrong! Shame on you. If you don't agree with my opinion of these poorly skated shows don't go starting trouble. Perhaps you are projecting your own self?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
no i have a big headache! I assumed it would be a made for tv competition. And someone mentioned plush vs. yags. If this is a competition its of interest. But if just another show where the skating is unrehearsed who cares? Thought it might be competition format. The recent show was such sloppy skating, awful unrehearsed group numbers. Apparently this matters not to Korean fans. Sorry, thought this might be a competitive show we'd all like to see, not another cheesefest.

I saw some of the Festa on Ice and SOI videos on YouTube and I didn't think it's all that terrible. I enjoyed watching some of the numbers. Probably one could argue that these type of shows should stay in the professional realm (and the ISU has tried to regulate such things), but I don't blame skaters for wanting to do something different that helps them pay for their training.

Yes it would be fun to see another competition, but I think that's a lot to ask of these skaters. When you've done GP, Olympics and Worlds I think it's great to see them let loose and have some fun! I'm not surprise that the ISU isn't doing a World Team Trophy type thing this year. (Actually, does anyone know if they're going to do it again in 2011 in a non Olympic year or was it a one time thing?)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Super Match, BTW implies a match up, ie competition, so the title itself is misleading and a misnomer.

Sometimes I get these Korean shows mixed up - but I think the Hyundai show gets most of the participating skaters doing workshops with younger Korean skaters. I see this as a terrific idea and imagine young skaters getting to spend time with Olympic and World medalists for skating instruction and demonstrations. :cool:

I have no idea how serious the competition is or if it is really more of show but see no reason to criticize it. Skating needs country's like Japan and Korea giving it a boost right now.

People mentioned Evan vs Plushy or Mao vs Yuna but I don't think that is quite what this show is about.
Remember, skaters need income to pay for their training and living expenses.

If Korea and Japan can support these summer shows it seems very positive to me.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I agree with most of your points janetfan, but The quality of these thrown together for money shows is poor. I recall watching a behind the scenes video and seeing how giddy with all the money David and Brian looked. They are artistically responsible with whats put out there. Yes, as I said in another thread its better these world wide skaters go to Asia or whever rather than have no outlet to skate and earn, but as someone else said, Yuna would not even have to skate to sell out tickets. The fans deserve quality. Remember some of the sloppy scheese fests that inundated us post whack in the 90's? The rush for pesos led to some awful programs, sloppy skating and apparently got so bad American fans stopped watching.

I really was amazed to see Orser/Wright just throw out not much on the ice. Very disappointing. Better to take the time to put together quality shows but this is about following the money trail at this point. Both are perfectionists and the Korean fans and all of is deserve to see good shows, not something obviously thrown together with money as the only result for certain parties. S. Korean fans are most gracious to put it plainer to put up with poor quality while paying good money. If the only objective is to see Yuna and a few other titled skaters do a mediocre job, then i guess its money well spent.

Its hard for me to find the good videos on yutube with all the junk on there, hand cams. terrible quality. It really is a mess to hunt through.

I remember when Sandra Bezic quit SOI due to "mediocrity" and those were well rehearsed shows! But I totally agreed with her high standards for show skating and her disappointment with what SOI alledgedly the best always, was putting out at the time in her mind. I hope that makes my point clearer although if someone WANTS to misunderstand, then they will.