Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I apologize in advance before going off topic again, just roughed out a few thoughts since the causal connection between the companies and union seems to be mixed up in the post I quoted.

KB, IBsports and KSU were complete strangers to one another when Yuna did the first commercial endorsing KB. They got to enter into a relation with one another only after they got to know Yuna through separate channel.

In the year of her senior debut, she did the first commercial, and yet she was in financial difficulties to train in Toronto, donated some part of the commercial profits for the scholarships supporting the young Korean skaters, also handed out a scholarship to her junior skaters after doing her second commercial.

Since she has been supporting young junior skaters whenever she got big money, her first sponsor KB got to know the poor domestic skating environment, and that leads to signing the sponsorship deal with KSU. If you can read this Korean article, KB official says in the interview that they got to know the poor skating environment of Korea national team through Yuna, and it is true that her advice affected their sponsorship deal.

And IB sports and KB are both involved in long track/ short track/ figure skating, and support all three sports. Though all of them became to have a relation with one another through Yuna so the skaters suffering from financial troubles could be supported financially from the big company, the system has been working without Yuna. As you can see, if you watch the skating event in the Olys, you can find KB logo in all the Korean speed/short track skaters' suits.

As for the Yuna's future career mentioned in this thread, she announced that she will not leave figure skating for the rest of her life, and wants to help Korean junior skaters and contribute to the advancement of this sport. Maybe only Yuna knows what she wants to become in the future. Interesting thing is that she is also majoring in education at the college of PE and taking a course of teaching and sports psychology, so it would be interesting to wait and see which path she will choose not in the near future but after 10 or 20 years.

Thanks for the insight. My knowledge only comes from doing some background reading, but obviously I'mlimited by my lack of of Korean (or rather no Korean skills. I only know how to say "Hello" "Thank you" and "Beer, please." )

I was thinking...maybe the mods should take our posts and put it in a thread? Like "Yuna and the role of IB Sports" or "Yuna and sports marketing companies.." And let this thread go back to being about the upcoming Hyundai show? "Probably the title should change to "Hyundai Ice Show July XXX"

Ren

On the Ice
Thanks for the insight. My knowledge only comes from doing some background reading, but obviously I'mlimited by my lack of of Korean (or rather no Korean skills. I only know how to say "Hello" "Thank you" and "Beer, please." )

I was thinking...maybe the mods should take our posts and put it in a thread? Like "Yuna and the role of IB Sports" or "Yuna and sports marketing companies.." And let this thread go back to being about the upcoming Hyundai show? "Probably the title should change to "Hyundai Ice Show July XXX"

I agree. Though the topics are somehow related, they are still distinct, different.

rtureck

Final Flight
Super Match, BTW implies a match up, ie competition, so the title itself is misleading and a misnomer.

Totally agree, but lately there have been a lot of misleading titles including this thred title that implies Yuna and Mao will be together in some fashion

cooper

Medalist
Totally agree, but lately there have been a lot of misleading titles including this thred title that implies Yuna and Mao will be together in some fashion

It's a simple question. It turned out that this show will be hosted by IMG. That I didn't know at first. So, stop crying about misleading title or whatever. Just ignore anything that involves Yuna. :rolleye:

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
It's a simple question. It turned out that this show will be hosted by IMG. That I didn't know at first. So, stop crying about misleading title or whatever. Just ignore anything that involves Yuna. :rolleye:

You can't tell me what to ignore / pay attention to, besides this thread title listed 4 skaters. Do you mean to tell me that when you mentioned Yuna, Mao, Evan and Plushy you just intended to to talk about Yuna?

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
You can't tell me what to ignore / pay attention to, besides this thread title listed 4 skaters. Do you mean to tell me that when you mentioned Yuna, Mao, Evan and Plushy you just intended to to talk about Yuna?

This thread isn't only about Yuna. It's about the show.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Moderators! Can you help us out?

Hey everyone, please calm down. Rtureck was simply questioning the nature of thread. I was the one earlier to say that we should probably rejigger the thread to reflect the discussion that has evolved from it. So I will ask again if the moderators can help us out.

1. The thread should probably be "Hyundai Super Match (date goes here)
2. Can we take out the posts about the IB vs. IMG or Yuna's marketing contracts to another thread called "Yuna's agency contracts" or something like that

Thanks for the help mods!

cooper

Medalist

You've been crying about every thread that involves Yuna. Here you are again.

And to continue this suffering..:laugh:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/04/136_64790.html

Yu-na’s Canadian Coach Mulls Leaving for Her Rival

The man who made the South Korean-born Kim Yu-na become the queen of the world’s figure skating might leave her for her archrival.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Hey everyone, please calm down. Rtureck was simply questioning the nature of thread. I was the one earlier to say that we should probably rejigger the thread to reflect the discussion that has evolved from it. So I will ask again if the moderators can help us out.

1. The thread should probably be "Hyundai Super Match (date goes here)
2. Can we take out the posts about the IB vs. IMG or Yuna's marketing contracts to another thread called "Yuna's agency contracts" or something like that

Thanks for the help mods!

I have to add my voice to Mrs. P's. I feel that discussion of the show itself should be separate (skaters, venue, dates, format, basically what to expect etc.) Should be separate from discussion about Yu-Na's relationships with the two different agencies.

Ren

On the Ice

The man who made the South Korean-born Kim Yu-na become the queen of the world’s figure skating might leave her for her archrival.

cooper, please, this is dreadfully off-topic. And I have to point out that the newspaper doesn't even have a direct quote /answer from Brian Orser--I don't think they even took the time out to interview him. I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone asks this question to him (if he's going to coach Mao) and he goes like "Where on earth do you get these things from?" :)

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
Hey, I don't have a problem changing the title of this thread. LOL. Whatever it takes to change the atmosphere of this forum. :laugh:

And besides I need a drink. :laugh:

rtureck

Final Flight

I have not once post in the Yuna news thread. I just find some thread titles misleading. This thread title stated 4 skaters, so now you are saying this is a Yuna thread? So why did you put the other 3 skaters names in the title? Please make up your mind since your started this thread whether you mean this thread to be about Yuna or not.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
I have not once post in the Yuna news thread. I just find some thread titles misleading. This thread title stated 4 skaters, so now you are saying this is a Yuna thread? So why did you put the other 3 skaters names in the title? Please make up your mind since your started this thread whether you mean this thread to be about Yuna or not.

Read my last post

Last edited by a moderator:

sunny0760

On the Ice
This thread is about Hyundai Super Match ice show whlch will be held in Seoul, Korea on 5, 6th, June.
('Super Match' has been the title since 8~9 years ago - when Hyundai Credit Card started it, they were mainly tenis match etc)
Several big name skaters and a few Korean youngsters wil appear at the show but Yuna won't probably because of her contracts with IB.
Those former, current olys medalists who are supposed to participate in that event happen to belong to IMG.
The starter of this thread did not know why Yuna won't be there so hoped Hyunday would persuade her into participating.

Other posters managed to elaborate something about contracts ets and I think there remains not so much discussion left about the reason of Yuna's no show any more.
If someone wants to say more about the reason, that would be OK, I guess.

This Super Match ice show is/will be
1. having some difficulty selling tickets regardless of the relatively inexpensive price.
2. controversial because Yuna fans don't like the idea of holding the event as if it competes with other Yuna shows.
3. more criticized in case any of the big name skaters will not appear.
4. the first visit this year to Korea for many - Evan, Plushenko(he came to Korea years ago but could not perform because), Lambiel, Buttle, Rochette, Shen/Zao(when was the last time they performed in Korea?:love:) and Pang/Tong.
5. (hopefully) successful in that ice shows held in Korea promote in the long run the growing interest about figure skating among the general public.:)

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
Sunny0760, thanks for the info.

Anyhow, this show is good opportunity for the general public since the ticketing won't be as intense.

For S/Z, they performed in IAS last year. All the others are also frequent visitors.

Now, let's stay on the topic. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
4. the first visit this year to Korea for many - Evan, Plushenko(he came to Korea years ago but could not perform because), Lambiel, Buttle, Rochette, Shen/Zao(when was the last time they performed in Korea?:love:) and Pang/Tong.

I m not sure about evan in the earlier years, but plush and buttle have been to this show since 2006 and they have skated there . And Evan for sure last year. Only time they didnt perform was when show was cancelled cause of fire. And i think on the two day show last year Plushenko appeared the first but couldnt skate because of the knee or something, and skated only the second. But the cast has been almost the same the last years, with Yagudin and Sasha also there by the way, and I dont know what is the fuss about Yuna , she didnt participate this August(2009) nor the previous July(2008), nor the year before that, I only remember her in 2006 , so whats the big deal? it is not news she doesnt participate in hyundai show.

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
I m not sure about evan in the earlier years, but plush and buttle have been to this show since 2006 and they have skated there . And Evan for sure last year. Only time they didnt perform was when show was cancelled cause of fire. And i think on the two day show last year Plushenko appeared the first but couldnt skate because of the knee or something, and skated only the second. But the cast has been almost the same the last years, with Yagudin and Sasha also there by the way, and I dont know what is the fuss about Yuna , she didnt participate this August(2009) nor the previous July(2008), nor the year before that, I only remember her in 2006 , so whats the big deal? it is not news she doesnt participate in hyundai show.

Sorry I forgot that Plush manage to perform last year, just once. I also forgot that S/Z came to Korea for IAS not Hyundai show last year.
Many of them are frequent visitors but except Mao, this will be their first visit to Korea this year.

About Hyundai participants 2006-2009.
. 2006 : Plushenko, Yagudin, Slutskaya, Baiul, Yuna Kim, Mam Nari, Ice dancing 2 teams
. 2007 : canceled
. 2008 : Plushenko, Yagudin, Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek, Asada, Ando, Cohen, B/A and other team(sorry), P/T
. 2009 : Plushenko, Yagudin, Buttle, Lysacek, Verner, Cohen, Meier, Rochette, Kerr/Kerr, P/T

Basics

On the Ice
Yagudin and Rippon were just added to the line-up.

Now, the casting looks like,

Men : Plushenko, Yagudin, Buttle, Lysacek, Rippon, Lambiel (?,not sure)
Ladies : Asada, Ando, Rochette
Pairs : Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong
Ice Dancing : Virtue/Moir

stevlin

On the Ice

Will this be on USA tv? I hope.

Bennett

Record Breaker

Now that she's off from IB Sports, Can she do this show yet?