Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete?

At the moment the music was to start for the Long Program, I was so conscious of the pressure YuNa was under. The entire country of Korea must have been watching her and expecting gold and no less. The only time I've seen similar pressure is at the beginning of Cathy Freeman's 400-meter final at the Sydney summer games. I can't imagine anyone wanting to continue such a stressful existence. So if YuNa retires from competitive skating, I'll certainly understand. As for leaving a legacy, that's already assured. She's virtually built Korean skating, and she hasn't just won, she's won decisively, with jumps of a quality that no one else seems able to match.

She's not like Michelle or Katarina Witt, the skaters with long careers whose names are evoked most often in terms of a legacy. Both of those ladies skated for substantial skating powers and were not bearing the hopes of a country on their shoulders. Just consider--both times that Michelle tried for Olympic gold, it was won by another American. As for Witt, she skated for East Germany at a time when the Eastern bloc and indeed most of Europe tended to vote as one. Not that she didn't deserve her golds, but she must have had the extra confidence of being supported by her federation.

I think that no one really understands the intensity of stress on YuNa. I'd love to see her skate for a long time to come, but if she doesn't, I can't fault her. Maybe there's a way for her to skate in shows and break new artistic boundaries. Can you imagine the audiences in the U.S. and her second home, Canada, if she headlines in SOI? And there are a lot of shows in Asia. Maybe that's the ideal path for her. Whatever she chooses, she has earned a place in skating history.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
There hasn't been a Lady skater to win back to back Olys since Ms. Witt. I'd like to see Yuna go for it (and Evan, too).

Is it that being a pro makes some skaters feel like they aren't in the whole FS mix? Most of all why do we hear these things and think if they say they will retire they will. lol

There should be no shame in being a pro. I think she should be influenced by someone like Plushy and his performance. He is clearly a less "solid" than in years past - if it wasn't for his windmill arms i would have hardly recognized his footwork at times. She may not want to go thru something like that. Regardless of still being one of the best, personally getting worse and then letting the world see you in competition ... could feel degrading. I will remember Plushy now for less of a skater than he was in 2006. He just is not as good. There is a point where your personal integrity needs to come into play and know, even IF you could win it all - if you are not as good as the years past just go pro. I think Yu na feels this fear and also knows that Korea has someone in the wings. And the new skater has the knowledge they have learned from Yu na +. The Koreans (or anyone for that matter) likely does not want to be a "one hit wonder" and there is a new skater in the wings of the Korean dormitories I am sure.

Oh and what about that FANTASTIC coach. I think they have learned a thing or two from him as well.

Even if you are the best in your country, are you better, are you still better than the world? - that would be the hardest thing to answer imo.

Whatever she does she should be proud of HER personal accomplishments and make the decision HERSELF! Personally I think she should take at least a year off from comp and make appearances (like Denver :) and then just see how she feels next September 2011.

It is not like she could be the first skater to come out of retirement. lol - it is a lot of Hype either way i.m.o.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Shiz may not have "popped in" but she certainly did "pop out". Can't deny that

So, any skater who wins Olympic Gold and doesn't stay in amateur competition counts as "popping out" then.

Shen & Zhao, why did you have to "pop out" on us like that? Why couldn't you compete at Worlds? How disrespectful.

:rolleye:

fairly4

Medalist
as far as yu-na is concerned-she can do what she wants and what she feels is best. however if she skates lackadaisy like she did at worlds, like sarah did at worlds-than no she shouldn't comback-- as far as pop out skaters --yes--shen & zhou-in 2010--evegeny if he doesn't come back--no shizuka isn't cause she skated until the 2006 olympic-unfortunately didn't go worlds.
all the skaters who went to nationals and/or worlds and or gp/international events the years leading from one olympic to the other olympics--say 1998-2002 or 2002-2006; 2006-2010 i don't considered pop out
they are pop in /pop out if they announce retirement inbetween and than show up the year of the olympics and retire automatically---like zhen/zhou/ --evgeny hasnt retired yet so i am not sure;;sasha is a pop in skater--didn't announce retirement but didnt skate competively for 4 years and poped in for nationals .

like brian boitano did in 1994 all the skaters who came back and skated in 1994 to me are considered pop in and pop/out sole purpose skate in olympics only.
pop-in/pop out is a skater who just wants to get in for the olympics and quit/
i am not talking about injured skaters but those few which seems are becoming increasinly more.
stephane lambiel--pop in pop out-- and zhen/zhou--not bad pop out cause did compete until 2008 season but still annouced retirement.
for me if you are going to retire and announce stay retired otherwise compete at least in you own nationals to keep the competive feel going.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
It's really a matter of her state of mind after she had a chance to rest and recover from the Olympic experience. So far, she has been far too busy since Vancouver to really think about her future. When that time comes, she need to think about what she has achieved so far and what she wants to achieve in her life. She has to think about what she really wants to do and do it. Whatever she choose, it must be a decision she is totally comfortable with.

She must also think about whether what she has achieve at the Olympic is the limit of what she can achieve. She may feel that she will never be able to top the two performances she gave at Vancouver. In that case, she may decide to retire from competition as she would have little motivation if she feel that she has done the best that she ever could in the biggest stage of her life. However, if she feel that there is more that she can do in figure skating, she should continue to compete to find the her true limits.

As for personal opinion, I paraphrase Brian Orser, "It's only the beginning." I agree with his sentiment. I think she has the tools to take the sport of ladies figure skating even further. She is just 19 and really only starting to mature as a person. I believe she can transform her programs into a truly transcendental experience for herself and the audience. She is on the cusp of being able to do this. If she competes longer, I believe she can gain the maturity needed to become even less self-conscious in her programs and truly lose herself in her programs to push the sport and herself into a higher level. To be in the zone of unconscious perfection... to make her programs into true works of art. That I think is a goal worth pursuing. It will take a tremendous amount of will power and dedication to be able to achieve that. Only she know if she has it in her to challenge herself in this way. I truly hope that she will because she has so much potential.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I believe she can transform her programs into a truly transcendental experience for herself and the audience. She is on the cusp of being able to do this. If she competes longer, I believe she can gain the maturity needed to become even less self-conscious in her programs and truly lose herself in her programs to push the sport and herself into a higher level.

I agree with most points Phoenix347 made.
What I want to know is... is it only possible by remaining in competitive skating?
I mean, what if they can perform more creative, artistically preferable programs as a pro skate without judging or restrictions of rules?

I know many skaters do not show their best, most challenging skills in the ice shows. However, some skaters seem to develop their artistic side more freely after they retires from competition.

Skating is not ballet... skaters will do their best to win or get higer scores. But is this the only way to make truly trenscendental performances?

I think Yuna will skate for a while. Thank God she is still healthy. Imo there is a room for further development as a competitive skater or a pro skater. Hope she will follow her heart.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, any skater who wins Olympic Gold and doesn't stay in amateur competition counts as "popping out" then.

Shen & Zhao, why did you have to "pop out" on us like that? Why couldn't you compete at Worlds? How disrespectful.

:rolleye:

Hey now, did I say it was a bad thing to do?

Perfectly understandable since the motivation takes a dip afterwards...

Bennett

Record Breaker
What I want to know is... is it only possible by remaining in competitive skating?
I mean, what if they can perform more creative, artistically preferable programs as a pro skate without judging or restrictions of rules?

I know many skaters do not show their best, most challenging skills in the ice shows. However, some skaters seem to develop their artistic side more freely after they retires from competition.

Skating is not ballet... skaters will do their best to win or get higer scores. But is this the only way to make truly trenscendental performances?

I think Yuna will skate for a while. Thank God she is still healthy. Imo there is a room for further development as a competitive skater or a pro skater. Hope she will follow her heart.

Yeah, Shizuka improved dramatically after her retirement while keeping her techniques.

I tend to enjoy competitions a lot more, but for skaters who have direct interactions with the audience, ice shows may be equally rewarding in a different way.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Yes, but it is hard to become a legend as a pro. Not that Yu-na does not have the competitive track record to back it up, but if she could stay around for another olympic cycle with new amazing programs and new world records each year, Michelle Kwan will pale in comparison. This girl could become legendary....but she had to decide if that is what she wants.

cooper

Medalist
Yes, but it is hard to become a legend as a pro. Not that Yu-na does not have the competitive track record to back it up, but if she could stay around for another olympic cycle with new amazing programs and new world records each year, Michelle Kwan will pale in comparison. This girl could become legendary....but she had to decide if that is what she wants.

But the question is does Yuna really want to achieve that goal? Based on her interviews and articles...I tend to say no.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also thought it was a general-purpose thread but it turned out to be another Yuna thread, which there happen to be three other ones as well. Nothing wrong with that but add me to the list of folks that think that Yuna Kim's name should be added to the thread title as to not potentially confuse readers.

cooper

Medalist
Mr./Mrs./Ms. Mod can you change the title to Yuna Kim: Retire or Compete? :eek:hwell:

ordinary person

On the Ice
The best advice would be to retire of course,after worlds it probably won't get that much better compared to last year,she's done.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I want to see her continue, maybe after taking a season off (she certainly deserves a break!). Despite her amazing accomplishments, I think there's still room in her for progress. I'd love to see a mature, life-experienced Yu Na on top of the meticulously well trained Yu Na.

If she does decide to retire, I'd love her to bring back life to the pro circuit. World Pro Championships with Shizuka, Sasha, Yu Na, Joannie, Irina... How great would that be?

I want to see her continue, maybe after taking a season off (she certainly deserves a break!). Despite her amazing accomplishments, I think there's still room in her for progress. I'd love to see a mature, life-experienced Yu Na on top of the meticulously well trained Yu Na.

If she does decide to retire, I'd love her to bring back life to the pro circuit. World Pro Championships with Shizuka, Sasha, Yu Na, Joannie, Irina... How great would that be?

Wouldn't that be great, to have a revived pro circuit? With TV presence, or at least a YouTube "reporter" transmitting all their routines...

I love your description of YuNa as meticulously well-trained now, but with the potential to be mature and life-experienced. Like many, I am a bit worried that if she isn't as spectacular next year as she has been this year, people will think that her reputation has lost its luster. She deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest skaters ever, but eligible skating can be very unforgiving. However, if she instead continues to contribute to skating as a pro, everything she does will be seen as growth. Think of all the amazing programs that people like Kurt Browning have done as pros, which went way beyond even their memorable achievements as competitive skaters. (And think of CoP rules these days: spiral has to be here, spins this many variations, this many steps in footwork, count the jumps...not always the ingredients for artistic innovation!)

So, much as I love having YuNa around for the foreseeable future, I kind of want her to think of another way to be a skater. But maybe that's just the Nervous Nellie in me. Whatever she does, I'll remain her fan! Because the one really distressing thing would be if she stops skating before we can see her as a mature artist.

princess9

On the Ice
I think she should retire tho competing would be fine, too. My only concern for that would be that she gets overscored and marked up on reputation and other skaters don't get their fair chance or due. Popularity and likeability are not CoP scored factors but they matter. I think she said she is happier doing shows and she can continue to get better and work on the presentation and artistry. She has nowhere to go but down. She has to live up to Oly gold. There is no way she'll do 4 years until Sochi and I think odds are against another gold medal with all the great skaters coming up. Sure its possible but I think she wants to move on. She does not love to compete and it shows in her face. I hope she does her own world tour and brings her show over here.

ryoko

Rinkside
I think she should retire tho competing would be fine, too. My only concern for that would be that she gets overscored and marked up on reputation and other skaters don't get their fair chance or due. Popularity and likeability are not CoP scored factors but they matter. I think she said she is happier doing shows and she can continue to get better and work on the presentation and artistry. She has nowhere to go but down. She has to live up to Oly gold. There is no way she'll do 4 years until Sochi and I think odds are against another gold medal with all the great skaters coming up. Sure its possible but I think she wants to move on. She does not love to compete and it shows in her face. I hope she does her own world tour and brings her show over here.

...lots of speculations with no clear evidence. great. :think:

cosmos

On the Ice

What a non-sense!!

ordinary person

On the Ice

You took the words right out of my mouth alright,she has been getting over scored yeah so others won't get a chance,i noticed.

sodessss

Rinkside
It is all dependent on her mindset. But for the sake of skating, I hope she will retire. Her presence is just not beneficial to skating. It is as simple as that.