Help, need Holiday music ideas! | Golden Skate

Help, need Holiday music ideas!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Since GS posters are all ages from all over, I thought you might be able to give me some ideas. One of my Girl Scout's moms volunteered my girls to perform at a community holiday dinner and party on December 11. They wanted the high school show choir, but they were booked elsewhere. While we are flattered, we have NOTHING prepared. On top of that I have about 20 new girls this year so we are still gelling as a troop. Here's what I have to work with...35 girls 4-8th grade, 4-7th, 6-5th, 4, 4th, and 17-3rd. Three are in all county chorus, and one has actually recorded a gospel CD, several others sing in church. Here's what I need, a 30 minute program that will be entertaining to ages pre school through adult that includes, the mayor, city council, and other local dignitaries ( their word, not mine LOL).

They know Rudolph, Jingle Bells, all of the usual. I am looking for something differedt, maybe a new twist on a traditional song, or something that maybe some of you have sung in your own school or church choirs that may be new for this area. We have a song "Blitzen's Boogie" that is really cute that they are going to do wearing reindeer antlers and sunglasses. They are not very good with Silent Night, and some of the traditional Christmas songs. The first year that I had G.S.'s we were practicing songs to go caroling at a nursing home (the girls were K-3 then). I was shocked at how many didn't know the usual Christmas songs. I put on a CD that had "Away In a Manger" and one of the little ones spoke up and said "Miss Piel, I just don't like that country music!". :laugh:

Any ideas or suggestions that you have will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Piel

heyang

Record Breaker
There's Jingle Bell Rock and Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Comin to Town or the Chipmunk's Christmas Song. All of them are available on at least one of Billboard's Greatest Chrismas Song's CD's. Also, consider the animated Holiday classics - for example, You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch. Ooh- or Cold miser and Heat Miser from the Year Without A Santa Claus. If you're willing to let the girls vamp up it up via Madonna/Britney Spears style, there' always Santa Baby.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks guys! I'm going to check out all of your ideas....please keep them coming. One thing I thought of this afternoon was to rewrite the 12 days of Christmas as it pertains to our town.

Thanks again!

Piel

I have to pass on the vamping......didn't you read all of the WHINING I did about Sasha's fashion shoot,LOL;) ;) ;) ? Of course the middle school girls would love it. I showed my niece that's 13 Sasha's photo's to get her opinion. Her reply? That she would start ice skating if she could have the pumps, stockings, and a glamour shot made like that.:eek: :laugh: :rolleye:

Oh, Piel, you have no choice. You must do Handel's Messiah. This music is so -- dare I say "inspired?" -- that it sounds great no matter who attempts it. Children, community singalongs, people with untrained voices who can't read music -- it doesn't matter. The music itself carries the Day. Hallelujah!

Mathman

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel......."Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer" has a wonderful music score sung mostly by Burl Ives. The songs are singable for young children, we've sung them before for Holiday performances at school. The songs include..."Have A Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Jingle, Jingle". Jingle bells can be incorporated throughout the music........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks Heyang, Show, and Pookie. I am going to let them listen to all of your suggestions and hopefully what they choose and what they are best at will be the same thing.

Mathman,

That was my first choice but when I presented it to my girls they said........"No way Ms.Piel. If the public hears us do "The Messiah" then next somebody's going to want us to record it. After that it's touring, personal appearances, T.V. specials, A Whitehouse Christmas, Leno, Letterman, and then halftime at the Superbowl. Why do that when there are boys to chase and malls to shop? " Now, if they only had an agent, hmmmm...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Piel