Kevin Van Der Perren | Golden Skate

Kevin Van Der Perren

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay, I don't normally post lovefest messages, but after watching Belgian Kevin Van Der Perren perform at Skate Canada on television today I was blown away. Where have I been that I could have missed this skater? He is exceptional. His style is so smooth and sleek and left me with such a good feeling. He has enormous potential...I haven't felt this way about a male skater since I first saw Alexei Yagudin at the 1997 Worlds. If anyone has anymore information on him that'd be wonderful. Does he have quads?

At DC Worlds I was sitting among a number of European fans who kept telling me to watch Kevin. Unfortunately, he flubbed quite a bit and placed about 18th but I remembered he had that "flow" which I like so much in skating. So he got on my 'special' list.

I was looking forward to this Skate Canada to see him again. I was not disappointed in the LP. It's all there - a podium skater at the Olys is very possible, imo.

Joe

That was a wonderful program. He did have such a relaxed flow throughout. The most enjoyable program of the show.

He did not do a quad or a triple Axel. But he did a triple-triple-triple (3T/3T/3L, I think). To me, he had kind of a Matt Savoie air about him. Compared to the disasters of Sandhu and Honda, and to Plenshenko's ho hummer, I was glad I got to see Kevin.

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kevin did a very good qualifier LP and a bad SP at world's, AFAIR, Joe do you recall? He was doing some kind of 3/3/3 there successfully. He is trying to do a quad, and finds practicing with inline roller skates useful. He has a fan website somewhere and there was a very good interview on some European website for in line skates. I'll post it if I can find it. I like him! Having someone new skating with some different pluses and some different elements is good. If it weren't for him, today's SC LP's would have been totally forgettable.
This is the interview
http://www.jaysonsutcliffe.com/feature_07_kevinvanderperren.htm

dpp

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Kevin really impressed me with his choice of music, and technique, then I looked at his overall program.

shine said:
He's so boring. Made me zzz..

I unfortunately agree. He wasn't portraying anything. It was nice to see someone use something from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves besides the typical overture though.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Well, if you liked SC, your'e gonna love TL!

I first noticed Kevin at 02 Euros, but it was at SLC where he did two clean programs that he really got my attention.

The triple axel has left him since then :cry: but he did some decent quad tries last year.

Here's a site:

http://www.kevinvanderperren.net/homepage.htm

His gala performance was intersting and probably what he will do again next weekend at SOI. I'll let you know.

Yes, Doris. It was the qualifyer that got me saying wow. Those men's qualifyer rounds in DC were something for the lower tier skaters: Kevin, Ryun, Stephane.

Berthe - I don't remember him at all in SLC. Probably was not shown on TV.

He's good, and for someone like me who does not require quads, he's very good. I like skating.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
shine said:
He's so boring. Made me zzz. All the Morozovess.

I partially agree. Like Kevin but his program is boring. I'm soo tired of NM it's not funny.

Last edited:

dizzydi

On the Ice
Kevin.............

Count me among those who are impressed with Kevin's performance at SC. Although I agree there is room for improvement, he does have a smooth, elegant style that I prefer. Also, he gave an outstanding performance when compared to some of the veterans who really blew their long programs at SC. I feel his placement was correct and I enjoyed his performance.

Just maybe he will be the one who will challenge Pleshenko in the upcoming years.

Dizzy

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I like a guy who can do a layback.

I don't remember him at all in SLC. Probably was not shown on TV.

In the SP he did 3x/3t, 2x and 3z - the same jump layout that gave Ilia 1st place just the previous Olys, had Kevin in 13th. How times have changed!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was looking forward to this Skate Canada to see him again. I was not disappointed in the LP. It's all there - a podium skater at the Olys is very possible, imo.
Uh, Joe, didn't we have a discussion about this in another thread? You guys said he wouldn't be shown on TV and I said he would. Uh, do I get a little applause here or what? Matter of fact I called ABC and told them to show his program. Now, if you believe that I have some swamp land to sell you.:laugh: :laugh: Also, wanted to add my 2 cents here. TV did nothing for his program. To have been able to watch it live was very special. He skated a lot faster live. Did you notice the fans were standing even before he was finished?

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting that Kevin spent some time in the summer with Mishin. I wonder if that has something to do with his improvement.

Edited to add what I found in the Kevin interview on that:
K: Very good…..but then I got into troubles with Alexei Mishin last summer…
J: Yes? Why?
K: Yes…..for some reason he completely dished me at the trainee classes…
J: Why?? Didn’t you ask that?
K: Of course I have, he said you have been to Tarasova for choreography, I think coz Nikolai was working with Tarasova….and because of that (laughs) he didn’t want to teach me anymore….
J: That’s terrible! Is the rivalry between the Russian coaches that big?
K: I don’t know…but I think he doesn’t mind now that I am training at Morozov, because Morozov and Tarasova have split up. He is now acting friendly towards me again…

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Well this was the first time I've seen Kevin in fact I've never heard of him until watching SC on TV yestarday.
I was also very impressed with his skating and can't wait to see more. And to think I almost missed it forgot to set VCR.

Thanks, Dee! You got your call in to ABC in the nick of time. I got home just in time to see about 3 minutes of Kevin's program. So I had to see the 3/3/3 in the replay. But the whole thing was very smooth and nice.

Mathman

guinevere

Final Flight
I'm so on the KVDP bandwagon!!!

I absolutely love seeing skaters skate better than anyone expected them to in a competition (even themselves!). Kevin had a lovely flow to his skating, but you can just see everytime he landed a jump he was thrilled!

Despite his lower level of difficulty in the overall program, it was the highlight of the competition for me!

guinevere

windspirit

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
TV did nothing for his program. To have been able to watch it live was very special. He skated a lot faster live. Did you notice the fans were standing even before he was finished?
Good to know that, because when I was watching him on tv I thought that if he skated any slower he woudn't be moving at all. I was really impressed he managed to land all those jumps -- at that speed it seemed almost impossible. Loved the 3/3/3! His program looked kind of bland, though.