Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I wonder if we would have witnessed this rule change if Yu-na were a Japanese and Mao were a Korean.

WHAT????? I do not get your question. What does the nationality of the skater matter? They could be Russian and American,too. Could you please explain?????

Wallylitz said:
Because this question is potentially very explosive, I don't think many people are comfortable talking about this here on the record. Don't expect me to talk about this here or anywhere publicly, sorry, I just won't.

Oh, come on. Don't tease us like that.

I know the consequences would be dire for you if you spilled the beans. But you could sign up for GS under a new name, then no-one would know it was you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It seems you are definitely anti-Japanese. By using a word such as Kamikaze or try to sterotype Japanese nationality, I think you need to stop. It is ugly.

I don't think Wallylutz is being racist. I think he's using his knowledge of cultural traditions and norms in Japanese society to explain what he observes.

It came up actually when we talk about Rachael Flatt. Why does Rachael Flatt feels she still needs to take 4 AP classes and go to Ivy League schools when she has a career in front of her? There was quite a cultural discussion about the importance of education in the States on GS. I will try to find it and repost it here.

If you read Wally's other posts, he does not make any other comments on Japanese society. He only used it here and as I posted earlier his points have support.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think Wallylutz is being racist. I think he's using his knowledge of cultural traditions and norms in Japanese society to explain what he observes.

It came up actually when we talk about Rachael Flatt. Why does Rachael Flatt feels she still needs to take 4 AP classes and go to Ivy League schools when she has a career in front of her? There was quite a cultural discussion about the importance of education in the States on GS. I will try to find it and repost it here.

If you read Wally's other posts, he does not make any other comments on Japanese society. He only used it here and as I posted earlier his points have support.

From your previous post Miki is the one who comes off sounding anti-Japanese ;) :laugh:

And I have heard a few words out of Yuna's mouth in the past about the behavior of KOREAN fans - does that make Yuna anti-Korean?

How ridiculous some of these assumptions can get at times.
I happen to agree with Wally on this issue and yet Mirai is my favorite current skater. My favorite baby skater is Kanako. I love Mao's skating and Miki too at times. Akiko is a big favorite of mine.
I think Yuna is athletic and elegant which is just the way Michelle and Dick Button have described her.

I thought Yuna had great dresses this season but not so much Mao or Miki.
Sometimes thoughts and opinions are about skaters and not their nationality or ethnicity.

I was disgusted with the judging of the Ladies at US Natls this season. One of my favorites, Sasha was marked too leniently - and Mirai was judged too harshly. I think I understand why but that doesn't mean I am anti-American.

I thought the judging at Japan's Natls was about the fairest i saw all season. That doesn't mean I can't ever criticize the JSF.

Any person who has followed skating for a long time has seen all kinds of unusual behavior in the past.
i said several times I blame nothing on Mao or the JSF. I do not feel the same way about ISU.

If that makes me anti- ISU - well that I can live with :)

wallylutz

Medalist
It seems you are definitely anti-Japanese. By using a word such as Kamikaze or try to sterotype Japanese nationality, I think you need to stop. It is ugly.

This will be the last time I will reply to you, after which you'll be permanently place on the ignore list. Since you must know:

http://www.icenetworkincrowd.com/sr...edia-spying-on-the-judges-at-the-Olympic.html

The information has been public for quite some time and of course, the fact I placed Asada ahead of Kim in the Torino World LP was conveniently ignored: http://www.icenetworkincrowd.com/sr...recards-of-2010-Worlds-Ladies-Free-Skate.html

And someone even went to dig out my recommendation to Asada for her 2010-2011 potential LP layout posted in another forum and copy & paste here.

I don't feel the need to defend myself because I am used to being criticized by bots from all camps. Some would blame me for being too harsh on Yu-Na and others, think I am unfair to Mao. All I can say is: "Whatever" :rolleye: Just put me on your ignore list, nobody is forcing you to read. However, I am pleasantly surprised that the Korean fans seem to treat me with a lot more respect in their PM and e-mails than many others who shall remain nameless, always very polite and courteous even if they know my heritage.

As for whether the term kamikaze is somekind of stereotyping. I don't believe I implied that ALL Japanese people acted like that. Rather, I believe when there is nothing to nitpick on, I suppose some can see a ghost in a shadow if they try had enough. :laugh: Let me just say I am terribly not interested in conversing with people like you especially your baseless accusation. Adieu to you.

Last edited:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice

I enjoyed some of wallylutz's posts here. I see him making a lot of interesting points in this forum.But when he talks about Japanese, it has some kind of negative connotation. Maybe he had really bad experiences in Japan and he does not like Japanese people. But when we talk about Rachael's education plan, I think we are talking about something very positive and admirable. Her taking so many AP courses sounds a bit crazy but it is something really respectable. The education is extremely important and it is one of the great aspects of American culture. It is a country of opportunity and you can do anything you want(almost). I do not think USFSA or anyone can stop her from focusing on education as well as skating. So there is a diffrence here. I do not think he is a racist.

By the way, one of my friends told me that judge Inman is well respected piano teacher and piano competition judge. Is it true? If so, some of his comments on skating make a lot of sense.

wallylutz

Medalist
Oh, come on. Don't tease us like that.

I know the consequences would be dire for you if you spilled the beans. But you could sign up for GS under a new name, then no-one would know it was you!

LOL, you are funny! :laugh: You see, it doesn't matter if I sign myself up as Mathman#2, there are people who will track me down and quote my posts from months ago that I don't even remember and however obscure or en passant they may be. I think I'll be discovered way too easy. :)

Some topics are best left as is and not talked about unless you think as a mod, you have too much free time on your hands with certain camps trying to kill each other and turn GS into battleground in such discussion.

Besides, you really think it's wise considering a few people have already accused me being a racist? When Johnny Weir called for Joe Inman to be banned for life because of his letter just before the Vancouver Olympic and accused him of being anti-Russian, Johnny Weir's fans even somehow imagined Mr. Inman is anti-gay because he gave Johnny Weir 3.75 for Transitions at the U.S. Nationals. I don't think I have the stomach to deal with that. But that's exactly what's happening here, character assassination. It looks like this is a forum where this is largely tolerated so I don't think I would want to risk become the next big spectacle / the next laughing stock, thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

brianjyw

Rinkside
I just want to say they are both difficult jumps, and you can't just argue which one is harder. It just depends on each skater.

ITA. Well said. If 3L-3T were an easier jump than 3A, why didn't Mao do it knowing that it would produce a higher score than 3A-2T?

By the way, one of my friends told me that judge Inman is well respected piano teacher and piano competition judge. Is it true? If so, some of his comments on skating make a lot of sense.

Yes, you can sign up for piano lessons from Mr. Inman here:

http://www.lessonrating.com/piano-teacher-profile.php?id=564526

Joe Inman has always been known as the "musical judge." He knows more about music than almost any of the the other figure skating judges, and he greatly values musical interpretation in skating performances.

brianjyw

Rinkside
And?

If skater A does 3F+3Lo, 3A, 3Lz and skater B does 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A, then skater B has done very well but skater A has hit a home run. She deserves to be way out in front heading into the LP.

You are absolutely right. So I don't understand why there is still a rule restricting ladies from doing a quad in SP. Why just limited to one 3A in SP? If a skater can do 3A three times in SP, it would be a gread advance in FS, don't you agree?. As a matter of fact, there should be no restrictions regarding types of jumps skaters are allowed in SP. Freedom promotes advancement and progress.

Looks like they are bending the rule instead of advancing FS.

Basics

On the Ice
I don't feel the need to defend myself because I am used to being criticized by bots from all camps. Some would blame me for being too harsh on Yu-Na and others think I am unfair to Mao. All I can say is: "Whatever" :rolleye: Just put me on your ignore list, nobody is forcing you to read. However, I am pleasantly surprised that the Korean fans seem to treat me with a lot more respect in their PM and e-mails than many others who shall remain nameless, always very polite and courteous even if they know my heritage.

True. I actually remember you once rebutting one Yuna fan for exaggerating the fact about ice coverage of Yuna's jump. It was kinda funny that time. :laugh:

brianjyw

Rinkside
WHAT????? I do not get your question. What does the nationality of the skater matter? They could be Russian and American,too. Could you please explain?????

I was just curious how feasible the proposal would have been if Mao were a Korean and Yu-na were a Japanese.

Bennett

Record Breaker
And we can thank Miki Ando for this!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-12-24-1125340892_x.htm

"Then I finally understand what in figure skating the audience wants," she said, this time with a radiant smile. "Because in Japan, they kind of like jumping, and if I did a quad or a triple-triple, they will say, 'She is going to win, she is going to get a medal.' It is that culture because we don't have any history in Japan in figure skating.

ETA This is the story that Wallylutz referred to in his earlier post. Also this post doesn't really prove he's not Korean. Sorry.
There's obviously legacy of Midori Ito in Japan. But regarding Miki's perception, it may be partly because Miki's greatest strength has been jumping since her childhood and her comp results indeed tend to depend a lot on jumps (which her team has been trying to change lately). When Shizuka won OGM, Japanese ppl praised her for playing safe and they loved her ina bauer most.

wallylutz

Medalist
True. I actually remember you once rebutting one Yuna fan for exaggerating the fact about ice coverage of Yuna's jump. It was kinda funny that time. :laugh:

That's also because Midori Ito is my idol. Wasn't it kind of obvious in that thread? You know what, if Takahiko Kozuka's dad could be criticized for offering Mao Asada constructive criticism and that Takahiko's physical appearance can be construed as a laughing stock - you just know thick skin is a requirement if anyone wants to speak publicly. Besides, I suspect the two people who accused me of being anti-Japanese aren't even Japanese themselves. They come across as being totally clueless about Japanese culture, you can only shrug at that. :indiff:

rtureck

Final Flight
Wallylutz, you haven't answer my question about the risl to reward ratio of Arakawa's jump layout in olys 2006 was way too much?

Two words. Bond. Girl. :laugh:
Sorry, the only Bond girl in my book is MK in her black catsuit.

BAck to the men and quads. I believe Michael Weiss liked the quad lutz.

Other random thoughts about the proposed new rule changes: I hope some ladies will try a sprial into triple jump then extend the exit edge of the jump into a spiral. Fumie did that in her 2003 exhibition. If spirals become MIF, I hope there will be more originality in the spiral sequence.

Next time when the tech guys make changes, I hope they create level 5 spins, so Nagasu can come out on top

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
When Shizuka won OGM, Japanese ppl praised her for playing safe and they loved her ina bauer most.

On the other hand, if Shizuka had failed to win any medals at all after playing safe in Torino, she would have been criticized with the worst possible adjectives, it is that cruel.