Daisuke Takahashi: Making History | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi: Making History

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daisuke Takahashi became the first Japanese man to win a World figure skating title, but it was not his first historical accomplishment.
More

Bennett

Record Breaker
I hope that I don't have to hear ppl praising him forever for "trying" the quad that he rarely landed even in practices (which I just call an insane strategy), but would love to hear better practice reports next season and actually see him land in at comps.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Go Dai ...Go Shae..This is bound to be rich !

it's funny , all through the GP , I got increasingly excited for him. Even if he missed a jump , or whatever , it seemed to me that his composure, some inner strength was growing .

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Go Dai ...Go Shae..This is bound to be rich !

it's funny , all through the GP , I got increasingly excited for him. Even if he missed a jump , or whatever , it seemed to me that his composure, some inner strength was growing .

I agree. One of Daisuke's greatest strength is his "grace under pressure." He manages to keep his composure after a huge mistake and push forward through the program. Remaining calm and collected during a compeition is no small feat and his laid-back mentatlity is definitely beneficial to him as a skater.
It seems to me after a program when he has a pop or fall or etc., he always has this kind of "oh well, what's done is done" look, and that impresses me very much. :)

I hope that I don't have to hear ppl praising him forever for "trying" the quad that he rarely landed even in practices (which I just call an insane strategy), but would love to hear better practice reports next season and actually see him land in at comps.

He's getting a lot of praise for trying it because of how badly he was injured before returning this season. Months before the season began, he could barely stand on the ice--I'd say that trying and fully rotating a quad after having a near-career-ending injury merits some serious praise.

Last edited:
Totally love this guy and always have. I hope he recovers fully and stays around at top strength for Sochi. He's the complete package: strong, technically sound, musical, artistically mature. I've been rooting for him since he showed up and was so pleased that he recovered in time for Vancouver. I can't wait to see his jazzy program choreographed by Shae-Lynn. For me, Takahashi is one of the reasons I enjoy being a skating fan, and I hope that his best days are ahead of him.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Yes, I'm extremely proud of Dai. He truly showed the heart of a champion, and was so good to watch, as well. He has matured into such a fine performer on the ice! :clap:

gmyers

Record Breaker

This would definitely be the ideal. It is almost like he was thinking "well I am having a lot of trouble with quads so I will try one with a harder jump so I am not penalized so heavily if I don't do it." A triple flip is worth a lot more than a triple toe!

Bennett

Record Breaker
This would definitely be the ideal. It is almost like he was thinking "well I am having a lot of trouble with quads so I will try one with a harder jump so I am not penalized so heavily if I don't do it." A triple flip is worth a lot more than a triple toe!

It seems that he did so many press coverages saying that "the quad is the must" that he felt the need to take the responsibility for his words, so to say.:rolleye: It also seems that he wanted to get back to his former self who used to land two quads in one program. What's exceptional about this team was that he said that his coach Utako was all going for it. Unbelievable.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It seems that he did so many press coverages saying that "the quad is the must" that he felt the need to take the responsibility for his words, so to say.:rolleye: It also seems that he wanted to get back to his former self who used to land two quads in one program. What's exceptional about this team was that he said that his coach Utako was all going for it. Unbelievable.

I imagine some coaches would be like "um, you're goal is to win-not do a quad!" It would certainly be good for him if he could successfully land a quad (or two) in the world championships being held in Japan next year like he did at the 4CC in 2008.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm another who seem to enjoy Dai more and more as the season progressed. I wasn't rooting for anyone in particular. I just wanted certain skaters to do well including Dai but by the Olympics I was totally hoping he would win. I love all his programs this season including his exhibition.

mybndt

Spectator
Shae Lynn bourne!!!! WOW! I Looooooove her, and my current most favorite skater is Dai!!

So MUST be wonderful these two make a program together.
I can't wait next season!!!

sorcerer

Final Flight
The news doesn't mention, but IIRC Dai said that he would prefer 2 choreographers, for the short and the long. Though I can't retrieve the source.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Hey, he almost landed that quad.

Nah. Not really. Kudos to Dai for trying it, although he probably knew it would be an unsuccessful attempt. His practice reports that week were far from promising, with botched jumps and hard falls left to right. I admire his courage and perservearence, to try it although prospects were unlikely. But I'm with Bennett on this one. I would prefer to see him land it, rather than receive praise for an attempt (although his personality shines). He probably did feel obliged to include a quad because he had done so in the Olympics in the sentiment that OGMs must include that jump (his idol is Plushenko), but his strategy wasn't too wise. He did execute all the other elements in his program with finesse and passion, and there's no other person I would rather have on top, but next season, I would like to see him play smarter.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Oh and go for the Shae-Lynn and Dai combo :love: Shae-Lynn's an awesome choreographer who can be, if I may ue the word, cool. Her programs are usually breaths of fresh air. I find so many programs to be stuffy, corny or indistinguishable from the rest. Dai has outstanding skating skills (love his edges!). I hope Shae-Lynn (of ice dancing origins) brings out the best in him.