Domnina/Shabalin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Domnina/Shabalin

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lucky Star, I generally agree with you, but I find it ironic when I hear talk of enticing Shpilband and Zueva to come back. "Come back" to what? Linichuk - yes, she is a Russian coach through and through, who just happens to work in the US and coach some international skaters. Morozov is somewhat in the middle. But Shpilband - he built up his school pretty much from scratch, really working his way up; yes, he may coach Ruusian teams(Kokhlova/ Andreev), but coming back permanently - I just don't see it.

Mia_

Rinkside
Well that's the truth. Oksana's always taken a anti-American stance when it comes to her sport. Her interviews after the grand prix circuit and Europeans made it obvious she's not a big supporter. She's also always said many times she never wants to go back to America, ever.

And who came blame her?

Natalia Linichuk said several times she thinks the entire "controversy" over the Aboriginal OD was all America's doing. Apparently the American people made up this whole controversy as a desperate attempt to get their teams to the podium and knock her team off. Which I don't think is really rational, but this may have caused Oksana to say the things she did.

Last edited:

ostile17

Rinkside
Well that's the truth. Oksana's always taken a anti-American stance when it comes to her sport. Her interviews after the grand prix circuit and Europeans made it obvious she's not a big supporter. She's always said many times she never wants to go back to America, ever.

Oksana never liked it in America, of course she doen't want to go live there ever again. Does that make her "anti-American" in her sport? What does it even mean?

wallylutz

Medalist
Shpilband defected from the USSR. Perhaps the underlined word needs to be translated into Russian for everyone to understand such implication. Besides, he is now a U.S. citizen. Zueva left Russia about 2 decades ago and is now a Canadian citizen. It's hard to imagine why they would ever want to go back to Russia, money notwithstanding.

For the longest time, most of the top ice dancers in the world have been coached by Russians. Even Bourne/Kraatz were coached by successive Russians, from Dubova, to Tarasova and then Morozov. A/P was a half Russian team with Marina being Russian even though their coach is French but they later on took on Dubova as well. Yet, the Russian dominance in Ice Dance hasn't really been affected by all these Russian coaches working abroad or with foreigners for well over 20 years after the USSR dissolved. It makes you question Oksana Domnina's logic that somehow by recalling Russian coaches, that will make a difference. That's assuming any of them have a moral obligation to go back to Russia. And then, there is the question of financial incentives. Lucky Star suggests that with improved conditions, most of them would want to go back. I think that's not true. For one thing, even if Russia is willing to pay a truck load of money for Zueva and Shpilband, they won't go back. So obviously, money isn't the only consideration. As for Linichuck, she may as well go back to Russia because no elite North American dance teams in their right mind would go to her after what happened to Belbin/Agosto. Besides, with D/S pretty much retired and the Italian team going into their 10th Worlds this coming season, she is going have to deal with an empty nest soon. It would seem, whether she wants it or not, staying in America probably won't do her any good without someone feeding her talented young teams she can coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Again: you don't really understand what she is talking about. There are many many Russian coaches who works abroad with another skaters. And they do it because they don't have a chance to be succesful in Russia and make money. Oksana says that we need them here, and it's true, so we need to give them a chance to be succesful in Russia: money, ice time, etc. And then some of them will choose to return. And they really want to return. Morozov made this deсision after years abroad (and rumors says that Linichuk also). It's not anti-american attitude or something. And it's not for her, she is done with sport. She just wants her country to be succesful in skating in Sochi

How nice now that Oksana is done competing and taking advantage of facilites in America she wants all other Russians to come home. :rolleye:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Lucky Star, I generally agree with you, but I find it ironic when I hear talk of enticing Shpilband and Zueva to come back. "Come back" to what? Linichuk - yes, she is a Russian coach through and through, who just happens to work in the US and coach some international skaters. Morozov is somewhat in the middle. But Shpilband - he built up his school pretty much from scratch, really working his way up; yes, he may coach Ruusian teams(Kokhlova/ Andreev), but coming back permanently - I just don't see it.

I didn't really mean Shpilband and Zueva, I told about all the coaches who work abroad. It's not only top-level coaches, but also coaches who work with kids, juniors, etc. It's obvious that some of them (like Shpilband and Zueva) will stay where they are, but some may choose to come back to Russia if they have a chance to be successful here. And Russian FS federation should give them that chance :yes:

Mia_

Rinkside
Oh, ok! That's an interesting answer!

Glad you enjoy it!

Maybe go out to more of these competitions and you will see what I mean...I not the one who is "pretending" to be their fan.:p

(I was at the EC by the way and some of the things skaters said was :eek: and :scratch:)

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Oksana never liked it in America, of course she doen't want to go live there ever again. Does that make her "anti-American" in her sport? What does it even mean?

I don't remember Oksana said something anti-american about her sport. She said several times that she didn't like to live in America and wanted to come back home and I can understand her. Her parents, boyfriend, all of her friends were in Russia, she missed them very much. She is not the big supporter, yes. But she is also not anti-american. She just loves Russia and wants russian skaters to be succesful in Sochi. What's wrong with that?

ostile17

Rinkside
Glad you enjoy it!

Maybe go out to more of these competitions and you will see what I mean...rather than "pretending" to be their fan.:p

(I was at the EC by the way and some of the things skaters said was :eek: and :scratch:)

What the heck are you talking about, are you three? I was at last year's Worlds, 2009 and 2010 Euros, plus the Olys. Does that mean I win? :laugh:

ostile17

Rinkside
I don't remember Oksana said something anti-american about her sport. She said several times that she didn't like to live in America and wanted to come back home and I can understand her. Her parents, boyfriend, all of her friends were in Russia, she missed them very much. She is not the big supporter, yes. But she is also not anti-american. She just loves Russia and wants russian skaters to be succesful in Sochi. What's wrong with that?

Thank you!

ostile17

Rinkside
If you did then you must already know all the things she said.
Obviously I was being distracted. Care to enlighten me about what "anti-American" remarks she made in Tallin?

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
coaches who work with kids, juniors, etc.
Yes, I agree that not only is that more "doable" but more useful as well. Elite teams can always go abroad, whether it is to train with Russian or non-Russian coaches (have there ben examples of the latter? I do not recall), whereas it's the lower level coaches that are sorely needed "at home".