Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Did Mao's mom really say that her daugher is socially inept??Did you find it in that article?

I googled it and the source is a gossip news site and the description is like

"Someone related to FS in Nagoya" said that Mao's mom seemed to have told to "Mao's mom's acquaintance" such and such back in late March. The article even admits that "The story still remains the level of rumor.".............:rolleye:

http://entameblog.seesaa.net/article/147959996.html

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
If the source is a gossip news site, the rumor might be completely baseless. As Bennet said, Shizuka is involved in too many projects herself, and she might not want to committ to coaching at this point.
I'm worried though it's taking too long to find a coach. She's used to being on her own, but this must be stressful for her.

hurrah

Medalist
I think I saw an article a few weeks back where someone on her side was saying that they were still undecided about who would be her coaches, and that there was still the possibility of a non-Japanese coach being included in the team as they had received an/some coaching offer(s) from abroad.

Yes, always was a great athlete and with the years became the most sublime skater. I think she lacks Kristi's total versatility as a dancer on ice but I'd say she has the best edges of anyone skating then or now. I'd rather watch her skate than just about anyone. And I loved how she learned pairs to keep her hubby skating after he lost his former partner. Her soft beautiful style is so elegant. Just love Yuka!

I'm with you on Yuka. As you say, she just got better as she went along. She was one of the first ladies who could really knock you out with her footwork. If her excellence is at all a reflection of her father's coaching, it would be great if Mr. Sato could take Mao on. The idea of Shizuka having some role in Asada's coaching is also attractive. And Lori Nichol for choreography! (Possibly yet another of my unrealistic dreams, but isn't that what a fan forum is for?)

miki88

Medalist
Whoever they pick for her main coach, I just hope it's a good one and someone who can stay with her for a long time. As for choreographer, TAT will probably do one of her programs. I'm curious to know who they'll pick for the other one. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just wonder - after several years now if Mao is really coachable. As in having a strong head coach running her training, determining what to work on, off-ice training, etc. on a full-time daily basis. Or if it is even necessary?

It is one thing to hire a good technical coach and work with them a couple of times a week for a month or two. There is also the coach who has a vision for where he/she can take a skater. Or to be atleast able to have a plan that will be followed by the skater when it comes to fixing up problems on more than a temporary and/or part time basis.

Then there is the question of the family's role - does mom know more than say an Arutunian when it comes to knowing what and how long to practice? Or having the experience and "eyes" to spot flaws as they might develope? To know different ways to approach problems and to be able to see progress the skater might not be aware of?

There are so many different things a good full time coach can do to teach, train and enhance a skater's abilty to perform well. Unfortunately the non-skating mom's and pops of the world do not possess this type of expertise.

I wonder if Mao and her family sort of liked that Tat was away in Russia as opposed to running Mao's practices on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis :think:
Without Tat getting to know Mao better from a sustained period of training together I don't see how she was ever more than Mao's choreographer and "political asset" at the biggest events.

Even the "political" part seems more of an outdated hangover from the 6.0 era.

I suspect Mao will be loosely coached by committee with Mao and her family more or less deciding what, how and when Mao will train.

Just an opinion and not meant as a knock on Mao or her family. She is immensely talented and a 2-time WC and OSM. Maybe no real change is necessary.............

miki88

Medalist
I just wonder - after several years now if Mao is really coachable. As in having a strong head coach running her training, determining what to work on, off-ice training, etc. on a full-time daily basis. Or if it is even necessary?

It is one thing to hire a good technical coach and work with them a couple of times a week for a month or two. There is also the coach who has a vision for where he/she can take a skater. Or to be atleast able to have a plan that will be followed by the skater when it comes to fixing up problems on more than a temporary and/or part time basis.

Then there is the question of the family's role - does mom know more than say an Arutunian when it comes to knowing what and how long to practice? Or having the experience and "eyes" to spot flaws as they might develope? To know different ways to approach problems and to be able to see progress the skater might not be aware of?

There are so many different things a good full time coach can do to teach, train and enhance a skater's abilty to perform well. Unfortunately the non-skating mom's and pops of the world do not possess this type of expertise.

I wonder if Mao and her family sort of liked that Tat was away in Russia as opposed to running Mao's practices on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis :think:
Without Tat getting to know Mao better from a sustained period of training together I don't see how she was ever more than Mao's choreographer and "political asset" at the biggest events.

I suspect Mao will be loosely coached by committee with Mao and her family more or less deciding what, how and when Mao will train.

Just an opinion and not meant as a knock on Mao or her family. She is immensely talented and a 2-time WC and OSM. Maybe no real change is necessary.............

Those problems arose because her coaches were not located in Japan. That's why this time they want to find a Japanese coach/coaches. Mao stayed with Yamada for a long time and there was no problem. I'm thinking that Mao's mom would have been more involved back then since she was younger.

flesymtuobayzarc

Rinkside

There is no reason to assume that Mao is uncoachable. What do we actually know about her practice sessions? About her coaching situation? Just because she insisted on being part-time coached by Tarasova does not prove anything. I heard that both Mao and her mother admired Tarasova and maybe that admiration has blinded them. Who knows what Mao is thinking? Maybe she is actually longing for a full-time coach that would guide her? That would do her a world of good in my opinion as she seemed a bit lost this season (and last season, too).

That's an insinuation. I cannot read Japanese, but I remember reading a translation of an interview with Mao after one of her competitions (sorry, don't remember which one) in which she said that she didn't feel confident because she didn't seen Tarasova for quite long. That again may imply that she wants to be close to her coach.
The fact that she doesn't want to live Japan and find foreign coach doesn't mean that she is unwillling to step outside her comfort-zone either. In one of her interview she said that she has difficulty in stating her opinions and suggestions in English and maybe that's why she wants her coach to be Japanese - she could fully cooperate with him/her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I wish the best for Mao. You call it an "insinuation" - and you could be right. I prefer to think of it as an "observation.'

It seemed odd when Mao left Rafael - and then seemed surprised that he no longer considered himself her coach. No need to gossip about it because it is in the past.

Then we know Tat will not leave Russia for personal reasons and yet she is supposed to be "training" Mao. Nonsense - you can't train a skater with such an arrangement. But Mao/family seemed to accept this long distance training (I call it a lack of training) even heading into an Olympic season.

If I sound negative or against Mao that is not the case. I love her skating and think she is just a special talent.
I am not sure if or how she will be trained in the future. Like I said, such a great talent seems to be doing OK on her own.

I would not be surprised if realistically Mao and her family remain in charge of her training. I also think there are more than enough terrific coaches in Japan for Mao not to have to live overseas. I like Akiko's coach and also whoever is training Dai seems pretty darn good!. I know a little about the Sato family and have nothing but respect for all of them.

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 2 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wish the best for Mao. You call it an "insinuation" - and you could be right. I prefer to think of it as an "observation.'

It seemed odd when Mao left Rafael - and then seemed surprised that he no longer considered himself her coach. No need to gossip about it because it is in the past.

Then we know Tat will not leave Russia for personal reasons and yet she is supposed to be "training" Mao. Nonsense - you can't train a skater with such an arrangement. But Mao/family seemed to accept this long distance training (I call it a lack of training) even heading into an Olympic season.

If I sound negative or against Mao that is not the case. I love her skating and think she is just a special talent.
I am not sure if or how she will be trained in the future. Like I said, such a great talent seems to be doing OK on her own.

I would not be surprised if realistically Mao and her family remain in charge of her training. I also think there are more than enough terrific coaches in Japan for Mao not to have to live overseas. I like Akiko's coach and also whoever is training Dai seems pretty darn good!. I know a little about the Sato family and have nothing but respect for all of them.

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 3 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.

Actually, it's been a little only two years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCf6I_Mi8A — ABC video acknowledges that Mao has arrived with no coach.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually, it's been a little only two years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCf6I_Mi8A — ABC video acknowledges that Mao has arrived with no coach.

Thanks for pointing that out Mrs. P. I changed my post but not necessarily my doubts about whether Mao may be more comfortable without a full time coach training her. Maybe it was all a matter of circumstances with Rafael - but that doesn't seem to be the case with Tat since that was a very unusual situation with an absentee coach that when on for quite a while and right through an Olympic season.

It was fun watching the clip!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for pointing that out Mrs. P. I changed my post but not necessarily my doubts about whether Mao may be more comfortable without a full time coach training her. Maybe it was all a matter of circumstances with Rafael - but that doesn't seem to be the case with Tat since that was a very unusual situation with an absentee coach that when on for quite a while and right through an Olympic season.

It was fun watching the clip!

As you shouldn't.
Other posts have mentioned that Mao often keeps injuries and other pain to herself. I think a full-time coach would expose that and it would be tough for Mao to push herself in the way that she would like.
Maybe that would change with a Japan-based coach, but I'm not so sure. We shall see!

wallylutz

Medalist
As you shouldn't.
Other posts have mentioned that Mao often keeps injuries and other pain to herself. I think a full-time coach would expose that and it would be tough for Mao to push herself in the way that she would like.
Maybe that would change with a Japan-based coach, but I'm not so sure. We shall see!

Mao seems like the kind of person who doesn't thrive on living abroad or deal with foreign languages. Most of them struggle. Prior to Ando and Oda, I can't recall many top Japanese skaters training abroad and even if they do, it's only for a short period of time. The only exception is Yuka Sato but she also has an unusual gift for English language, more so than her peers, which makes her a little more comfortable dealing with the foreign media for example. The other Japanese skaters get very nervous when they were interviewed in English and almost seemed to panic if they are asked more than one questions. I don't think I heard Mao speaking English ever.

princess9

On the Ice
I think the perfect coach for Mao would be Yuka. It's too bad she won't come here and train. I think we would embrace her. She also should work with Lori Nichol. Or Sandra Bezic or maybe Cindy Stuart. I don't feel Russian style, a la TAT displayed her at her best. I did not know Shizuka was coaching elite skaters.

rtureck

Final Flight
I think the perfect coach for Mao would be Yuka. It's too bad she won't come here and train. I think we would embrace her. She also should work with Lori Nichol. Or Sandra Bezic or maybe Cindy Stuart. I don't feel Russian style, a la TAT displayed her at her best. I did not know Shizuka was coaching elite skaters.

I don't think Mao will travel to US for Yuka. I also love the idea of YUka being her coach. I think Yuka's father will be good as the main coach and a few tech/ spin coaches to include Lucindah for spins (she speaks Japanese)

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 2 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.

Mao is not uncoachable. I think Japan has an unique situation, too many skaters (ones with good potential) and too few coaches. I guess same goes for the availability of rink. REmember how Shizuka went through coaches after coaches in the couple of seasons prior to 06 olys. Fortunately for her, she won the gold. If she only won the silver (like Mao) and decided to go for 4 more yrs, we will have this same discussion.

About Mao leaving Arutunian, well Mai and Mao did went through that ordeal of Lake arrowhead fire right? It is difficult to be settled in another country at such a young age.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mao seems like the kind of person who doesn't thrive on living abroad or deal with foreign languages. Most of them struggle. Prior to Ando and Oda, I can't recall many top Japanese skaters training abroad and even if they do, it's only for a short period of time. The only exception is Yuka Sato but she also has an unusual gift for English language, more so than her peers, which makes her a little more comfortable dealing with the foreign media for example. The other Japanese skaters get very nervous when they were interviewed in English and almost seemed to panic if they are asked more than one questions. I don't think I heard Mao speaking English ever.

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs-5VZyDjk
Mao's interview with ABC after her SP and LP in 2008. I agree she seems nervous, but I find her charming anyway.

sodessss

Rinkside

I'm not happy with all the Mao's mom bashing. Mao's mom is really wise and quite an expert in skating. She knows everything about Mao. She always accompany her daughter and watches carefully her trainning on and off ice everyday. She fired Arutunian because he didn't respect Mao's mom's expertise in skating and jumps layout. If athletes parents know about their kids than coaches do then let them do their jobs.

jasminum

Rinkside
Mao definitely needs a full time coach plus a jump coach.
I think she knows it. She's learned a bitter lesson.

It seems that Mao is more comfortable with female coaches though, I hope Mr and Mrs Sato will coach her.