Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches?

berrycute

On the Ice
I'd luv to see what John Nicks could do with Mao, particularly style wise, as his lady students have had some of the best refinement and pointed-toes I've ever seen. Yuka Sato I think is another solid choice, great jumping technique! But I suspect this is a bit of a pipe dream on my part, Mao seems so adamant that she will stay in Japan. It's a little frustrating really, she's limiting herself so much because of that!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that the Japanese Skating Fed has had a long-time traditional belief that world-famous foreign coaches and choreographers are the best and send their skaters to foreign countries.
It does make sense in
that 1) Europe and North America have been traditionally strong in FS so that there are great coaches and choreographers out there.
that 2) Japanese coaches and choreographers do not become world-famous because foreign top skaters do not come to Japan perhaps because of language barriers and location (see Yuka Sato's popularity without those barriers), and
that 3) reputation scores are so important in FS.
But I think that they should now rediscover and better appreciate their own coaches and choreographers.

rtureck

Final Flight
I always thought Japanese fed send her skaters abroad b/c of over crowded rink conditions, and not enough coaches. Anyway I remember Arakawa who had to adjust to Callaghan, Tat, and Morosov in a short span of less than 2 yrs.

Berrycute, I agree pupils ofr John Nicks e.g. NNN, Cohen and Nikodinov all have lovely layback spins. How old is Nicks now? in his 70s?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I always thought Japanese fed send her skaters abroad b/c of over crowded rink conditions, and not enough coaches. Anyway I remember Arakawa who had to adjust to Callaghan, Tat, and Morosov in a short span of less than 2 yrs.

The rink problems persist. But the situation somewhat changed after Chukyo Univ and Kansai Univ built rinks. The ones at Chukyo Univ are good not only because their high school students also can use them, but also they are designated as a national training center for FS.