Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think anyone thinks she IS fat or chunky or whatever, just in certain outfits she may look like she is, there is a big difference. Anyone can look fat/chunky/untoned with certain clothing, even if said person is very skinny or fit. Most people admit that the costumes are the problem, not Rachael's weight.

I guess you are right because look how chunky this skater looks in this outfitt:

http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/hotice08/0805377.jpg

Fortunately her good posture makes her look thinner ;)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Supposed to "be?" I didn't think she was trying to be anything. (In partular, not Jane Seymour in Somewhere in Time. :laugh: )

I think she was just herself, a figure skater delivering a solid performance to good music.

Here she is at Nationals. :clap: :clap: :clap: She looks fine in red, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsVPLO9oVw

Here are a few skaters in a pretty red dresses winning the US Championship.
Like just about every other US Lady champion these skaters also won World and Olympic medals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAx6VeScsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7S-RWyldI4

The color of the dress is not important but graceful skating with beautiful posture used to be part of what made up a US Lady champion.

Here we see the tradition carried on by this skater (in a red dress) at 2010 Natls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJX0_QqCTE

Is that a joke, MM? Shizuka looks so slim and elegant in that picture to me! I can't say the same for Rachael on the ice, although MM certainly posted a great picture of her off ice. Obviously a woman is much more exposed in a teeny-tiny little skating dress. She needs to tone up, get more flattering costumes and hairdos, pull her shoulders down, and lose 5 pounds off her hips.

As for the argument that all skaters are thin -- pooh. It's not as if they all look alike. Some are obviously heavier than others and the same skater can be slimmer or heavier depending on various things (like whether they're competing at the moment or not). There's no point applying "civilian" standards to questions of an athlete's or performer's weight. I'm 30 pounds heavier than a competitive figure skater - that doesn't make me blind.

Back to the topic, I totally understand Rachael's wanting to continue. I've not been a fan of her skating since her first year as a senior when her musicality was so impressive. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...official&tbs=isch:1&ei=6O_hS6WMDYSglAfn8u2oAg I don't know why musicality would disappear just because she got a little taller and heavier, but I keep waiting for THAT Rachael to come back. She can go to college at 20 or 25 or whenever she wants, after she's gotten all she can get out of competing and seen how far she can push herself to improve. I think she would regret it if she stopped now. :thumbsup:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I guess you are right because look how chunky this skater looks in this outfitt:

http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/hotice08/0805377.jpg

Fortunately her good posture makes her look thinner ;)

Yes exactly, Sasha is teeny tiny according to just about anyone, and doesn't look that great in that picture/dress. I really like the style of Rachael's prom dress, a skating dress in a style like that would look very nice on her I think.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is that a joke, MM? Shizuka looks so slim and elegant in that picture to me! I can't say the same for Rachael on the ice, although MM certainly posted a great picture of her off ice. Obviously a woman is much more exposed in a teeny-tiny little skating dress. She needs to tone up, get more flattering costumes and hairdos, pull her shoulders down, and lose 5 pounds off her hips.

As for the argument that all skaters are thin -- pooh. It's not as if they all look alike. Some are obviously heavier than others and the same skater can be slimmer or heavier depending on various things (like whether they're competing at the moment or not). There's no point applying "civilian" standards to questions of an athlete's or performer's weight. I'm 30 pounds heavier than a competitive figure skater - that doesn't make me blind.

Back to the topic, I totally understand Rachael's wanting to continue. I've not been a fan of her skating since her first year as a senior when her musicality was so impressive. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...official&tbs=isch:1&ei=6O_hS6WMDYSglAfn8u2oAg I don't know why musicality would disappear just because she got a little taller and heavier, but I keep waiting for THAT Rachael to come back. She can go to college at 20 or 25 or whenever she wants, after she's gotten all she can get out of competing and seen how far she can push herself to improve. I think she would regret it if she stopped now. :thumbsup:

I agree, little Rachael was so cute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7rv4_Eu4g4
My favorite performances of her's, she used to get so into her programs it was really cute!

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I really do not like how we have to talk about Rachael's figure. And how anyone can tell her how many pounds to loose. She is not a fashion model. She is an athlete. There exists no regulations as to how many pounds she has to be and how thin she has to look. It is ridiculous. I understand some does not like her skating but it should be nothing to do with her weight. To me, she looks a typical healthy teenager with a big confidence which reprents america where anyone can be anything.

janetfan

Match Penalty
In my eyes, Rachel is the most well-rounded and confident skater. She is very confident with herself. I am sure she eats really well and happy with herself. I just am happy that she decided to make this decition to focus on skating this year. I will cheer for her all the way!!!

I did not mention weight or body type. I did mention posture and graceful skating.

But since you brought it up let's think about Dance and the world of ballet. Do top ballet dancers only have to be able to do the movements and steps - or is there also a degree of grace required?
What about body types as well as height and weight? Can anybody be a professional dancer or are there physical requirements demanded by Directors and choreographers?

As long as skating has marks for PE, CH and IN it can not be considered a "sport " only.

When recently asked what she enjoyed most about skating, Yuna said she liked that it was sport and that it was also ART. Yuna likes the fact that music is involved and likes to interpret it.

If we ever get to "Ice jumping" or "ice spinning" then we would be judging athletic prowess. For now things like posture, a good line, graceful flow over the ice with good choreo and IN DO count.

How a skater presents all of this is part of the score along with jumps and spins.

Like just about every other US Lady champion these skaters also won World and Olympic medals.

You sound like you are blaming Rachael that none of Mirai, Ashley, Sasha, Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, Emily, Alissa, Caroline, Melissa, Becky, Samantha, Laney, Kristiene. Blake, Chelsea, Christin-Marua, Tatyana, Ellie, Rebecca, and Kayla -- that none of these beat Rachael at U.S. Nationals and then went on to win the Olympics and Worlds?

Rachael and Mirai did the best they could. Neither was Peggy Fleming or Dorothy Hamill. Where were the rest of the U.S. ladies?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes exactly, Sasha is teeny tiny according to just about anyone, and doesn't look that great in that picture/dress. I really like the style of Rachael's prom dress, a skating dress in a style like that would look very nice on her I think.

Silverlake - you never cease to amaze me with your opinions about Sasha :cool: :biggrin:

I was kidding - and think that Sasha looks stunning in the picture I posted.

The picture mathman posted of Shiz is also stunning.

And I also agree that Rachael in her prom dress looks great.

You had said before everyone looks fat or chunky at times.
Sasha never, ever looks fat or chunky. :laugh:

princess9

On the Ice
How this thread is just feeding the eating disorders and the idea that only a certain body type is acceptible. Tiny men and women are becoming the norm. Obviously certain ethnic groups have the advantage then. Cohen chunky? Puh-lease! Flatt is fine. Her posture is a little poor but then Dorothy will help I'm sure. There is room for real shapely women with meat on their bones. Anyone wanna say Dorothy is fat now too? I guess Janet Lynn was just too pudgy to be a truly great skater! :rolleye:

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
She has the jumps. She really needs to work on general presentation, speed, spins.. what everyone else said. She isn't fat though. In my latest International Figure Skating magazine, she's pictured with Mirai and they're about the same size. I think that it's her extreme paleness that makes her look fatter than she really is. Her body fat percentage might be a bit higher than some of the skaters, who have larger frames and lower body fat percentages at the same weight (like Joannie Rochette), but it's not like she's dripping with rolls. I read that she was 115 lbs and Joannie is 117. It's crazy how much lighter the skaters look in person. I thought Joannie was like 135 lbs when I saw her on tv, but in real life she's tiny.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You sound like you are blaming Rachael that none of Mirai, Ashley, Sasha, Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, Emily, Alissa, Caroline, Melissa, Becky, Samantha, Laney, Kristiene. Blake, Chelsea, Christin-Marua, Tatyana, Ellie, Rebecca, and Kayla -- that none of these beat Rachael at U.S. Nationals and then went on to win the Olympics and Worlds?

Rachael and Mirai did the best they could. Neither was Peggy Fleming or Dorothy Hamill. Where were the rest of the U.S. ladies?

Two thoughts will never change in my mind when it comes to skating.
1. Michelle won in Nagano.
2. Mirai won the 2010 US Natl championship on the ice.
What happened in the "backroom" does not change my mind.
I will go with Button and Hamilton's view over that of a few posters at GS who disagree with me.

princess9

On the Ice
Gee, I thought Tara Lipinski won! And it was a great, memorable, lights out performance! Michelle is fabulous but techbically she was outskated. Tara was great. Rachael was great at nationals. The judges do care about consistency. I think the podium was fair. No one wuz robbed at Nagano or the nationals.

2. Mirai won the 2010 US Natl championship on the ice.
What happened in the "backroom" does not change my mind.

I will go with Button and Hamilton's view over that of a few posters at GS who disagree with me.

That wasn't the thrust of my post. Whoever should have won or not won, it is not fair to complain that such-and-such skater is not Peggy Fleming and for that reason is an unworthy champion.

Last edited:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
How this thread is just feeding the eating disorders and the idea that only a certain body type is acceptible. Tiny men and women are becoming the norm. Obviously certain ethnic groups have the advantage then. Cohen chunky? Puh-lease! Flatt is fine. Her posture is a little poor but then Dorothy will help I'm sure. There is room for real shapely women with meat on their bones. Anyone wanna say Dorothy is fat now too? I guess Janet Lynn was just too pudgy to be a truly great skater! :rolleye:

THANK YOU, Princess9!! Skating is not like ballet. Yes, it requires artistry and elegance ,but that can be done by anyone. But to become the best ballerina, you must have a certain type of legs and hips. My friend's daughter was rejected at age 9 by one of the very best ballet compeny in Russia because of that. Rachael needs to work on presentation and speed etc, but to me she is one of the best skaters out there and She looks fine with the way she is.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gee, I thought Tara Lipinski won! And it was a great, memorable, lights out performance! Michelle is fabulous but techbically she was outskated. Tara was great. Rachael was great at nationals. The judges do care about consistency. I think the podium was fair. No one wuz robbed at Nagano or the nationals.

It was lights out alright - for a certain group of judges. ;)