Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year?

If it's not like ballet, why do they wear those tiny spangly little dresses and all that makeup?

It's not just like tennis or golf, there's a performance/presentation aspect to it.

If they got rid of that and called it ice jumping we wouldn't be discussing Rachael's appearance.

And IMO thin has always been "in" (as in "you can never be too rich or too thin") in the US - just look at 1930s movies -- it's fat that's becoming fashionable as Americans get heavier.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
If it's not like ballet, why do they wear those tiny spangly little dresses and all that makeup?

It's not just like tennis or golf, there's a performance/presentation aspect to it.

If they got rid of that and called it ice jumping we wouldn't be discussing Rachael's appearance.

And IMO thin has always been "in" (as in "you can never be too rich or too thin") in the US - just look at 1930s movies -- it's fat that's becoming fashionable as Americans get heavier.
If you are expecting ballerina to skate, then some one like Ashley Wagner should not be on the ice either. She is way too masculine. When I saw her the first time, I was really suprised. She is definitely not a ballerina type.

princess9

On the Ice
Hey, that's not very nice!:laugh:

I think she can improve her skating though, she didn't medal or even make top 5 at Worlds or Olys and finished lower than last year at Worlds. She also didn't qualify for the GPF, so I can see why she'd want to compete another year.

All the commentators placed Flatt in 5th in Vancouver and felt she was not scored fairly. She seemed to rotate her flips but they decided to place a couple other skaters higher. I think Flatt was amazing in her first Olympics and skated well for a US champion. Her legs aren't beautiful. But then not every skater has gams like Miki Ando. Most don't.

princess9

On the Ice
If you are expecting ballerina to skate, then some one like Ashley Wagner should not be on the ice either. She is way too masculine. When I saw her the first time, I was really suprised. She is definitely not a ballerina type.

Huh? I do not see anything masculine about her! She is no skinny sasha or mao butterfly, but masculine? I think she's lovely!:confused:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Huh? I do not see anything masculine about her! She is no skinny sasha or mao butterfly, but masculine? I think she's lovely!:confused:

She is truly lovely!! I know, but if you see her close, she is really really masculine. Her body is full of muscles and you know what ? There is nothing wrong with that. My point is everyone has different type of body and that should be ok for figure skating.

Last edited:
You obviously didn't see this program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXMtvvIi6E

Don't be dissing my Ashley. :scowl: :laugh: She's fabulous and fit. :love: If you want ballerina, she can do ballerina. If you want manic wood nymph, she can do manic wood nymph. If you want hottie, she can do hottie. (That's what she did at a benefit in Hackensack a couple weeks ago.) Masculine??? What a weird thing to say.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
All the commentators placed Flatt in 5th in Vancouver and felt she was not scored fairly. She seemed to rotate her flips but they decided to place a couple other skaters higher. I think Flatt was amazing in her first Olympics and skated well for a US champion. Her legs aren't beautiful. But then not every skater has gams like Miki Ando. Most don't.

Lol! My friend thinks Miki Ando is too fat! She's CRAZY, I mean did you see Miki's LP outfit in Vancouver, she is so fit and thin. If this http://www.flickr.com/photos/reb-ship/3993059596/ is fat, then it shows how crazy some people are :sheesh:.

As for Ashley, she is the example of a stronger skater who looks great just the way she is, Joannie would be another example. Rachael could probably look similar to either of those gals WITHOUT having to lose weight just through more strength training. She doesn't have to up the strength training though, she looks absolutely fine the way she is, and plus some people aren't into the muscular woman look (though I am a fan of it).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She is truly lovely!! I know, but if you see her close, she is really really masculine. Her body is full of muscles and you know what ? There is nothing wrong with that. My point is everyone has different type of body and that should be ok for figure skating.

Ashley and Joannie body types are HOT! I know plenty of guys who like a girl with a defined bicep.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
You obviously didn't see this program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXMtvvIi6E

Don't be dissing my Ashley. :scowl: :laugh: She's fabulous and fit. :love: If you want ballerina, she can do ballerina. If you want manic wood nymph, she can do manic wood nymph. If you want hottie, she can do hottie. (That's what she did at a benefit in Hackensack a couple weeks ago.) Masculine??? What a weird thing to say.

HAHAHAHA sorry Spun Silver! I know Ashley is wonderful!! I kind of like her strong look. She is definitely a great skater even though she does not have a ballerina body!! Rachael, Mirai and Ashley are the hope for this year!! All three looks different, skate differently but all of them are GREAT!!:thumbsup:

HAHAHAHA sorry Spun Silver! I know Ashley is wonderful!! I kind of like her strong look. She is definitely a great skater even though she does not have a ballerina body!! Rachael, Mirai and Ashley are the hope for this year!! All three looks different, skate differently but all of them are GREAT!!:thumbsup:
:agree:
Actually lots of great ballerinas (and skaters) don't have "ballerina bodies" -- they come in many shapes and styles. But to be great they certainly do have to be both fit-looking and interesting. That's where Rachael falls "flatt." I really hope she and her coach feel she's solid enough technically now to be able to focus more on the music and interpretation. If she were interesting enough I'd be distracted from her soft look and (often) horrible hairdos. (This puffy one is the worst. It ages her so much! http://z.about.com/d/figureskating/1/0/W/i/-/-/flattaward.jpg It's so Fifties! :sheesh:)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:agree:
Actually lots of great ballerinas (and skaters) don't have "ballerina bodies" -- they come in many shapes and styles. But to be great they certainly do have to be both fit-looking and interesting. That's where Rachael falls "flatt." I really hope she and her coach feel she's solid enough technically now to be able to focus more on the music and interpretation. If she were interesting enough I'd be distracted from her soft look and (often) horrible hairdos. (This puffy one is the worst. It ages her so much! http://z.about.com/d/figureskating/1/0/W/i/-/-/flattaward.jpg It's so Fifties! :sheesh:)

It is weird, because the bump hairdo makes Rachael look older but most of the time Rachael looks really, really young. In those pictures of Olympic Team USA in DC, Rachael looks adorable but much younger than her actual age!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

ITA. I am not the biggest Racheal fan, but skated like a champion in Vancouver when it counted but was not scored as such. I didn't see anything wrong with her jumps then nor do I now. Yes, sometimes her jumps look borderline to me and she does not get called out on it, but they looked very clean in Vancouver. I don't know what Racheal did to tick the tech caller off, but I think it really played with her confidence at worlds where she did not skate up to par.

sodessss

Rinkside
I want racheal retire. She is not that ugly but her skating is so. Her legs, her arms. her neck and her face don't look good on the ice. And she was utterly overrated at U.S nationals. In general, she remindes me of Yuna. I want artists on the ice like everyone else does.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I want racheal retire. She is not that ugly but her skating is so. Her legs, her arms. her neck and her face don't look good on the ice. And she was utterly overrated at U.S nationals. In general, she remindes me of Yuna. I want artists on the ice like everyone else does.

while I am not particularly a "fan" of Rachel, I don't like reading generalized statements about how EVERYONE wants to see a particular kind of skater. there are many fans of Rachel on this board, and I personally enjoy several types of skaters - artistic, athletic, and a healthy combo of both - so please do not try to speak for 'everyone', let 'everyone' speak for themself.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

How does Rachael remind you of Yuna (or vice versa)? Are you implying in your statement that Yuna is also not an artist by your standards?

while I am not particularly a "fan" of Rachel, I don't like reading generalized statements about how EVERYONE wants to see a particular kind of skater. there are many fans of Rachel on this board, and I personally enjoy several types of skaters - artistic, athletic, and a healthy combo of both - so please do not try to speak for 'everyone', let 'everyone' speak for themself.

Nicely said.

sodessss

Rinkside

Ok. then what about robotic racheal and Yuna beat lovely, artistic Mirai and Mao? Is that Ok to you?
Diversity is good but one type of skating command the scene is not that beautiful.

sodessss

Rinkside
How does Rachael remind you of Yuna (or vice versa)? Are you implying in your statement that Yuna is also not an artist by your standards?

Nicely said.
So , by your standard, Yuna is artistic? Well, good for you. I respect your opinion.

brownfox

On the Ice

You're trolling around.

cornell08

Final Flight
Out of curiosity what did you think Rachael was supposed to be in her LP? :think:

I really think she should try a movie soundtrack, I have a feeling she'd do very well with that. Something like Eloi from the Time Machine soundtrack. Or A Beautiful Mind, no joke although that idea does make me chuckle. Both would have greater dynamics than what she's been using, but also a beautiful central theme.

Last edited: