Genetically Modified Food (Monsanto) | Golden Skate

Genetically Modified Food (Monsanto)

I am wondering if anyone is bothered by the GMF that the mega food industrial Monsanto has been putting on the market. Maybe I am overreacting but I will stick with Certified Organics and look for well harvested produce.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I usually buy Organic, preferably at a local farm - primarily because it tastes so much better than the conventionally-raised food. Not all of it - but I don't think anyone who's tried a real fresh heirloom tomato can ever go back to the regular supermarket variety. Having said that, I do not see GMF as a risk. There have been NO studies proving otherwise, nor do organics offer any more nutrients than the GMF. In fact, humans have genetically engineered food for centuries, producing food that's easier to grow. There is even an example in the Bible - Jacob making the cows a certain color so they'd be given to him. Furthermore, GMF is something that MUST be considered in the issue of combating poverty, especially in sub-Saharan Africa. Some efforts in, for example, growing a cassava that will have necessary nutrients could save thousands of lives; it would be hypocritical of me, I think, to oppose this. Talking about Monsanto, though, I do have to admit that they do lot of things I object to - primarily their terminator seeds. While GMF can potentially alleviate hunger and make many farmers self reliant, the terminator gene undermines all that by forcing farmers to go back to the company every single year.

Alsace

On the Ice
Here's some news out of England regarding genetically modified foods. It's scary and Monsanto doesn't want us to know these things:

http://www.alsearsmd.com/gmo-foods-mutant-food-fight/

ok, so I read it, then clicked on the link at the bottom of the page, which took me to the author's "anti-aging" drug spiel "Switch on Your "Immortality" Gene" containing statements like "Hitting the “Century Mark” . . . with energy to burn" and "Get Started on the Path to Agelessness Today."

Well, I'm not saying he's wrong about the GM food, but maybe someone with more total creditability would be more believable. Do you have another article?