In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite?

chloepoco

Medalist
Shizuka 2006 LP have you seen an ina bauer as beautiful as hers

I agree with you on this one. While some may say her program lacked technical difficulty, I feel she is just such a beautiful skater. Her long program is one that I could watch over and over.

Mafke

Medalist
I'll be a little perverse and say this is my favorite figure from the olympics (though there's not much competition since they were always under-covered). Still a thing of beauty in its own way.

Debit Thomas's LFO paragraph loop from 1988 (starts at about 1.07)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQwszzIeWo

Ren

On the Ice
We have to pick only one? :(

Pairs: Gordeeva and Grinkov, 1994 long program (runner-up: Shen and Zhao, 2010 short program)
Men's: Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 free skate (runner-up: Ilia Kulik, 1998 long program)
Ice Dance: Davis and White, 2010 original dance; tied with Virtue and Moir, 2010 free dance
Ladies: Yu-Na Kim, 2010 free skate (runner-up: Sasha Cohen, both 2006 short and long programs)
Special Mention: Michelle Kwan, 2002, gala Fields of Gold

I actually prefer Michelle's Fields of Gold over Yu-Na's Olympic programs, but it's an exhibition skate and not a competitive one. :)

I agree with you on this one. While some may say her program lacked technical difficulty, I feel she is just such a beautiful skater. Her long program is one that I could watch over and over.

I'm so glad you two (you were quoting rtureck about Shizuka's LP in 2006) feel this way. By coincidence, I went back last night to look at that program. She is an exquisite skater, and that Ina Bauer is simply glorious. I wouldn't put her at the top of my Olympics list because--well, there's Michelle, and Sasha, and YuNa, and Mao, and Peggy, and others as well, but she certainly deserves to be considered. This is where skating proves that it's not like baseball and never will be. No point score will ever be able to account for the unforgettable excellence of someone with the fifth-highest score, or the tenth-highest score, or whatever. And ain't it terrific that this is true?

princess9

On the Ice
I'm so glad you two (you were quoting rtureck about Shizuka's LP in 2006) feel this way. By coincidence, I went back last night to look at that program. She is an exquisite skater, and that Ina Bauer is simply glorious. I wouldn't put her at the top of my Olympics list because--well, there's Michelle, and Sasha, and YuNa, and Mao, and Peggy, and others as well, but she certainly deserves to be considered. This is where skating proves that it's not like baseball and never will be. No point score will ever be able to account for the unforgettable excellence of someone with the fifth-highest score, or the tenth-highest score, or whatever. And ain't it terrific that this is true?
So true, every point.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I also liked her fan spiral where she let go of her leg--beautiful and so difficult!

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I felt Elvis gave many great exciting perforances. You can't say that for Urmanov. And you can't say that for Kulik. Acc. to TAT he ran from competition as he feared losing. He was not a born competotor like Elvis. Only Elvis and God know how much pain he was in. I don't know Elvis but I loved his skating.

Really? I found Kulik amazing. His 3A alone was enough to excite me.

Silverlake, I completely agree. I know that we all tend to look with starry eyes to past skates, but on the night of the ladies' long program, I felt I was watching history. They all lived up to the peak of their capabilities. And the top two went beyond expectations. What a splendid night. I'm sure people will be talking about it many years from now.

Antilles

Medalist
Men's: Yagudin's Winter SP in 2002
Ladies: Elizabeth Manley's fantastic, perfect and unexpected LP in 1988. I've never seen someone look more surprised to have skated so well
Pairs: M&D Rach LP in 1994. I still think they were robbed.
Dance: A&P's Romeo&Juliet FD from 1998. It's the program that moved dance from my least favourite to most favourite discipline. Honourable mention goes to V&M and both of their programs this year.

Layfan

Record Breaker
ladiezzz this year. no falls in the final flight wahoo! And overall a very splat-limited event :love:

Not to mention that Kim Yuna's performances will surely rank among greatest OG medal winning performances ever.

Only problem is that I haven't been able to find a way to watch this year's performances over and over again :(

So I haven't grown as attached as to say, Sasha Cohen in 2006.

Off the top of my head, I think I'll watch Kim Yuna again and again and Mirai. Also Joannie's SP. I'll watch Evan, too. I always have fun watching the winners even if they are not my favorite because it's just fun to watch them win and their reaction and everything.

When I think of Mao, I'd much rather watch her performances from previous years, sadly enough. Hopefully, next year will bring programs from her that I'll feel like watching again in 10 years...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Men's: Yagudin's Winter SP in 2002
Ladies: Elizabeth Manley's fantastic, perfect and unexpected LP in 1988. I've never seen someone look more surprised to have skated so well
Pairs: M&D Rach LP in 1994. I still think they were robbed.
Dance: A&P's Romeo&Juliet FD from 1998. It's the program that moved dance from my least favourite to most favourite discipline. Honourable mention goes to V&M and both of their programs this year.

I saw Elizabeth's 1988 LP on youtube and really enjoyed it. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies
SP - Joannie Rochette 2010 (I wouldn't wish the circumstances she skated under on my worst enemy, skating 2 days after your mother's death on the world's biggest sports stage in your home country, and yet she managed to skate the most successful SP of her career under ALL THAT PRESSURE - just INCREDIBLE!)
LP - Yu-Na Kim 2010

Men
SP - Stephane Lambiel 2006
LP - Alexei Yagudin 2002

Pairs
SP - Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 2002
LP - Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 2002 (I still think they should have been sole owners of Olympic Gold!)

Dance
OD - Davis/White 2010
FD - Anissina/Peizerat 1998

Last edited: