Elena Kagan | Golden Skate

Elena Kagan

Are you happy with her.

From what I have been reading she is the type of person who has made up her mind about a lot of governmental issues. I'm not sure she will listen to opposing views.

But she will be a hoot!! and maybe that's what the Court needs.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, I'd expect you to have a problem with her advocacy of Monsanto. Then again, you should be happy with how geographically diverse the Supreme Court is going to be (should Kagan be confirmed): we'll have judges from Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens!

Good grief! How did she get involved with that Food Monopoly Monsanto. I could change my mind about her.

Wasn't there one from Staten Island also? At one time we had a Liberal Republican Party with big names from the North East. What made Reagan popular was to kill that stronghold for the Evangellicas.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The question is, can Obama get her confirmed? That's a big question. Will the Republicans decide to filibuster over her? If so, will the Democrats have the guts to make the Republicans actually talk continuously for a filibuster rather than just filing an intent to filibuster?

It will be interesting, I think.

I thought I read that she was someone who was good at negotiating with other people and getting them to work together. (And I hope that's true!) Supposedly that's the quality Stevens brought to the court.

But it is amusing that suddenly we have all these New Yorkers being chosen for the court! I think that she and Sotomayor even went to the same college, Princeton. (Correct me if I'm wrong; I just vaguely recall hearing that.)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Good grief! How did she get involved with that Food Monopoly Monsanto. I could change my mind about her.
http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/05/elena-kagan-toward-a-pro-gm-supreme-court/56587/
I think that she and Sotomayor even went to the same college, Princeton. (Correct me if I'm wrong; I just vaguely recall hearing that.)
If Kagan is confirmed then ALL 9 judges will be from either Harvard or Yale law schools. Both Kagan and Sotomayor have also studied at Princeton.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As I replied to you on a different thread, I generally have no problem with GMF. In fact, pretty much all modern food is generically engineered by careful crossbreeding. Furthermore, the nutritional value normally does not suffer (taste, of course, does - in a major way). Some GM projects, furthermore, truly hold much promise - such as infusing casava with the necessary nutrients - this should help thousands of people in sub-Saharan Africa. Where I do have a huge problem with Monsanto (and, IIRC, that's what the lawsuit between Monsanto and California was about) is with their "sterile" crops. This undermines the very basis of self sustaining farming.