Lysacek Vs. Abbott: National Performances | Golden Skate

Lysacek Vs. Abbott: National Performances

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
So I've been thinking about this recently; if you were to put these two performances against each other, who would come out on top? Both were spot-on and received HUGE segment scores.

Evan's 2007 FS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I
Jump layout:
4T+3T
3A
3L
3S
3A+3T x
3F+2T+2L x
3Z x
2A x
Base value (using last season's standards): 64.5

Jeremy's 2010 FS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS8x44z9Sk
Jump layout:
4T
3F
3A+3T
2A
3Z+2T x
3Z+3T+2L x
3L x
3S x
Base value (using last season's standards): 62.13

Layfan

Record Breaker
So I've been thinking about this recently; if you were to put these two performances against each other, who would come out on top? Both were spot-on and received HUGE segment scores.

Evan's 2007 FS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I
Jump layout:
4T+3T
3A
3L
3S
3A+3T x
3F+2T+2L x
3Z x
2A x
Base value (using last season's standards): 64.5

Jeremy's 2010 FS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS8x44z9Sk
Jump layout:
4T
3F
3A+3T
2A
3Z+2T x
3Z+3T+2L x
3L x
3S x
Base value (using last season's standards): 62.13

Very interesting. I suppose Evan would come out on top, point-wise. But definitely prefer Jeremy's. Jeremy's LP this year was one of the best I've ever seen at nationals. His SP too.

lavender

Record Breaker
If I were judging I would give it to Jeremy because he's a natural artist and it shows unlike Evan.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Indeed.

However, Jeremy should take page out of Evan's book when it comes to costumes. Why on Earth does Jeremy think he looks good in pale purple and electric blue? It only brings out his pastiness. What's next, pale pink? Mint green?

One word for you, Jeremy: BLACK.

OTH, Evan could think about a little bit of red, maybe even some shade of yellow highlights in his costumes. What's the point of working so hard to keep up a fake tan if you're only going to wear black?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
However, Jeremy should take page out of Evan's book when it comes to costumes. Why on Earth does Jeremy think he looks good in pale purple and electric blue? It only brings out his pastiness. What's next, pale pink? Mint green?

:eek::scratch: ***?! And you think Evan looks good wearing a skin tight costume with a cross on his chest, dressed as a black christmas tree, wearing snakes across his body, dressed as a black feathery bird, and looking like he's going to a Star Trek convention? :laugh:

One of the reasons I do not get is comparing personal bests of two or more skaters because PBs can change even within one competition when judges change from SP to LP. The PBs are nice for the skater to know and it probably gives him more confidence.

For generalized performances, it more than likely is a fan's choice.

For competitive performances, it should be done by accumulating the scores of several skaters and finding the averages for each skater during a season.

However the tastes of individual fans vary for many reasons, and it's tough to figure out a consensus.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very interesting. I suppose Evan would come out on top, point-wise. But definitely prefer Jeremy's. Jeremy's LP this year was one of the best I've ever seen at nationals. His SP too.

Those two are my two favorite men's performances at nationals ever, maybe just ever, ever. As much as I love Evan, that title belonged to Jeremey. IMO nobody could skate better. Sure Evan had a slightly better base value but he does not come close to Jeremey's edges, his in depth interpretation of the music, transitions. When Abbott skates like that, that, to me, is IJS at its best.

jian10

Rinkside
Jeremy would be still the winner. Though his base value is lower than Evan's, Jeremy would get higher GOE. His performance was so well put together and executed so well. His style remind me of Yu Na's. I was so sad when he didn't have a great Olympic performance. If he skated clean, I think he could have won the OGM.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Jeremy would be still the winner. Though his base value is lower than Evan's, Jeremy would get higher GOE. His performance was so well put together and executed so well. His style remind me of Yu Na's. I was so sad when he didn't have a great Olympic performance. If he skated clean, I think he could have won the OGM.

I was wondering - who did Jeremy's choreo last season?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was wondering - who did Jeremy's choreo last season?

SP: Shae Lynn Bourne
LP: Pasquale Camerlengo

It was the first time he had ever taken choreography from both of them. He made so many changes last season . . . brand new coaches, brand new city (over 1100 miles from home), and 2 brand new choreographers.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
From this article on icenetwork:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100322&content_id=8870080&vkey=ice_news

Bourne, who has homes in Toronto and South Carolina, also created the "Day in the Life" short program Jeremy Abbott used to win his second U.S. title in January.
"When Yuka [Sato, Abbott's coach] called me and said, 'Jeremy really wants you for the short, he wants something different,' I almost said no, go with what works, because he is so good and it was an Olympic year," she remembered.
"But he was very clear about the look that he wanted. It was so easy working with him. I'd say, 'You can't do that before your triple Axel' and he'd say no, don't hold back, I'll try anything. He's full of talent, very creative, and he has no limits. He's probably the only one I've ever worked with who's said, 'Make it harder.'"
I can’t find the quote right now , but somewhere there’s a bit about how Camerlengo was not thrilled with the music choice for the LP. (But he sure did a masterful job with what he was given to work with)

I wonder who will do the choreo this year...

janetfan

Match Penalty
SP: Shae Lynn Bourne
LP: Pasquale Camerlengo

It was the first time he had ever taken choreography from both of them. He made so many changes last season . . . brand new coaches, brand new city (over 1100 miles from home), and 2 brand new choreographers.

Thanks - I think both programs were wonderful and when Jeremy skated his best they were amazing.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
From this article on icenetwork:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100322&content_id=8870080&vkey=ice_news

I can’t find the quote right now , but somewhere there’s a bit about how Camerlengo was not thrilled with the music choice for the LP. (But he sure did a masterful job with what he was given to work with)

Wasn't Jeremy's first choice to skate to Jupiter? He changed it to Symphony No. 3 by Camille Saint-Saens. Maybe that was Camerlengo's wish?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wasn't Jeremy's first choice to skate to Jupiter? He changed it to Symphony No. 3 by Camille Saint-Saens. Maybe that was Camerlengo's wish?

yes, I too was wondering which music choice Camerlengo didn't like. Saint-Saens was just perfect for Abbott IMO.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Wasn't the Jupiter LP done by Dickson?

But even then, there was other music first , that didn't work. Then Jupiter.

Then the choreographer change and the St Saens . But I can't find where I read that (that Camerlengo wasn't thrilled with St Saens), so maybe I was mistaken? Anyone else remember that?

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
:eek::scratch: ***?! And you think Evan looks good wearing a skin tight costume with a cross on his chest, dressed as a black christmas tree, wearing snakes across his body, dressed as a black feathery bird, and looking like he's going to a Star Trek convention? :laugh:

Huh?

Dude. My point was that Jeremy would look better in black ... :sheesh: