Lysacek Vs. Abbott: National Performances | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek Vs. Abbott: National Performances

I'm not convinced that the color of a costume or a music selection are paramount to win a championship. Wearing whatever, and skating to whatever, will win if a skater skates the best that day/night. Abbott has his moments on the ice but he still needs consistency.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm not convinced that the color of a costume or a music selection are paramount to win a championship. Wearing whatever, and skating to whatever, will win if a skater skates the best that day/night. Abbott has his moments on the ice but he still needs consistency.

It's not paramount at all. Plenty of people have won wearing horrendous things. Hello, Oksana's fuzzy pink sleeves in 1994?

My post was not meant to be so serious ...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There is an old joke ....... "What is the difference between a Yankee Stadium hotdog and a Fenway Park hotdog?" .........

......... "You can have a Yankee Stadium hotdog in November."

I know I'm in the minority here, but that's what I think is wrong with Jeremy's beautiful freeskate. Where was it during his 2 World Championships? Where was it during the Olympics?

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Rinkside
Jeremy's 2010 Nationals FS was a work of art; and a performance for the ages.
When such "magic" happens can't be predicted, or "manufactured".

I would love to have seen something similar at the Olympics.
However, I'm grateful to have seen it, wherever it occurred!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Jeremy's 2010 Nationals FS was a work of art; and a performance for the ages.
When such "magic" happens can't be predicted, or "manufactured".

Unfortunately, I feel we can predict how Jeremy will do at Nationals next year, ..........
...... then how he will do at Worlds. :disapp:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It depends. If the skates were before Evan become a World or/and Olympic Champion then Jeremy for sure. If the skates were after Evan become a World or/and Olympic Champion then Evan for sure.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Technically I think Evan's program was better, but Jeremy's was a better artistic performance. Evan's artistry and non-jump elements have really improved since 2007, comparing this program to his 2010 programs.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
When Abbott skates like that, that, to me, is IJS at its best.

I have been a fan of Abbott since I saw his performances live in Finlandia Trophy some years ago. Unfortunately Abbott does not seem to shine in major international competitions, his best performances have occurred in US Nationals and in GPF in one year. Has he a tendency to peak too early or is he just a not very good competitor in bigger events than Nationals?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Jeremy was the first American man to win the Senior Grand Prix Final. Then when he won Nationals, I had high hopes. But he faltered at Worlds ( twice ) and the Olympics.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Jeremy was the first American man to win the Senior Grand Prix Final. Then when he won Nationals, I had high hopes. But he faltered at Worlds ( twice ) and the Olympics.

It's such a pity. His 2010 Nationals LP is one of my favorite CoP figure skating moments. He had me riding such high, high hopes. I thought he was destined to become a decorated skater, with a World title, possibly two. If those Nationals performances had materialized in Vancouver, he might just have won the whole thing. Then maybe we wouldn't have had that nasty fight over a quadless champion. But oh well. Fate has it that he falters on the big stage. I'm hoping his luck will change next year. His talent is too big to let waste without a fitting crown.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I have been a fan of Abbott since I saw his performances live in Finlandia Trophy some years ago. Unfortunately Abbott does not seem to shine in major international competitions, his best performances have occurred in US Nationals and in GPF in one year. Has he a tendency to peak too early or is he just a not very good competitor in bigger events than Nationals?
My take is that Abbott is still learning how to cope with the mental pressure of competing at the really BIG international events. It's worth pointing out that Finlandia Trophy in October 2006 (in which Jaana first saw Abbott skate live) was only Abbott's second international competition and he won it (after having bombed his senior international debut the year before AND then failing to qualify for 2006 Nationals). Relative to Weir and Lysacek, Abbott was a VERY "late bloomer" as a competitor -- for example, after he won the 2005 U.S. Junior title he turned 19 that June, and so was too old for the Junior Grand Prix and Junior Worlds. The Junior circuit is an extremely useful "training ground" for skaters to develop an international reputation and to gain competitive experience, and Abbott never had this valuable early opportunity that Lysacek and Weir had. Following Abbott's first Nationals at the Senior level in 2007, his senior international career really started, and he has competed in a total of 17 international competitions (excluding made-for-TV competitions and invitational or team events): 2 Senior Bs, 6 Grand Prix events, 2 GP Finals, 3 Four Continents, 3 Worlds, and 1 Olympics.

Lysacek, by contrast, competed in his first Nationals at the senior level in 2001 (at age 15), and I counted 41 international competitions (excluding made-for-TV and invitational events): 1 Junior comp., 8 JGP events, 3 JGP Finals, 3 Junior Worlds, 12 Grand Prix events, 2 GP Finals, 6 Four Continents, 4 Worlds, and 2 Olympics.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lysacek, by contrast, competed in his first Nationals at the senior level in 2001 (at age 15), and I counted 41 international competitions (excluding made-for-TV and invitational events): 1 Junior comp., 8 JGP events, 3 JGP Finals, 3 Junior Worlds, 12 Grand Prix events, 2 GP Finals, 6 Four Continents, 4 Worlds, and 2 Olympics.

On the other hand Lysacek was kind of a late bloomer on the senior level, as his first Worlds were the 2005 ones, I believe? He was almost 20 in that time. Compared to other recent and current US male skaters he has though succeeded really well in Worlds: In 3 out of 4 WC events he won a medal.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I dont see Abbott ever making the breakthrough on the World stage. I think he is already being seen as someone who had his chances and didnt take advantage of them. Coming off his U.S titles in 2009 and 2010, and Grand Prix title in 2009 as well, he was in perfect position to shoot for a World title and Olympic medal and look what happened. Look at his in his short program at the 2010 Worlds too, he skated great and this time he was just dumped by the judges. I think they feel he has already had enough chances, and he is going to have to work hard before they give him another one.