The Kween and the Queen | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The Kween and the Queen

Robeye

Final Flight
Her Dance Macabre I’d say is about displaying athleticism and physical prowess while trying to defy the boundaries of physics and gravity in Ladies skating. To do the performance, she must be courageous and fierce to launch herself at maximum warp speed with complete abandonment and any visible efforts of human vulnerability. A spirit has over taken over her body, and put it on autopilot without the Hollywood special effects for 2.5 mins on acid. Other than those ridiculous jumps, look at how her body spun into a posture, then her head follows, spun then freezes, spuns and then freezes. It was as her body was having a life of its own, and her human constricts are merely slowly trying to catch up. It was almost supernatural and defies logic.

Her Gershwin number on the other hand is the exact opposite. It is all about light and serenity. A masterful display of ‘control’ and ‘fluidity’. It was far from a character piece like everyone else’s program. IMHO it feels like a summation of Yuna’s own human accomplishments in skating. The Olympics is the climax of her journey. Her FS is her commentary on the purity of ice skating, and Gershwin was merely a backdrop complimenting her reflection and contemplation on display.

When she drops her arm, it wasn’t just about letting it fall and onto the next transition, but it is about fine-tuning the speed and the position it falls and how it accentuate to Gershwin’s notes, and punctuate the breaks. At times there implied some invisible elasticity in the other direction holding her upper body on to the next position, but the body is fighting against the motion as it wishes to enjoy ‘the moment’ …just a bit longer while her blade floats across the ice light, fast and dainty.

Now that's what I call great commentary. :clap: Using the descriptive and specific to persuasively demonstrate the larger metaphors and effects (as well as affects), the microscope that is also telescope.

(I am also glad to finally see a post longer than mine; I was concerned that I'd be holding that dubious title for a while :laugh:. Although I fear Mathman will now want to plagiarize your post for his post-graduate endeavors. Make sure you charge him at least Cliff Notes rates :yes: ).

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes, all true, I think. Scott as a commentator brings much excitement. I like him, but he gushes and he wants to be very positive and complimentary with most skaters. The problem is he does a poor job of explaining what we are seeing technically. Skating when it was covered in years past would have these little tutorials I miss explaining different jumps and techniques.

Still he's fun. Paul Wylie gives more info but not as fun. Scott kind of skates through the program with a skater. He's very emotional. People like that about him.

I smile every time I see your posts as Nagasu is so adorable. Love that avatar.

Funny you mentioned East of Eden. What do you think of the performances when she was young then later in her career? That's what I was thinking about when I posted about Danse and how different it might look a few years down. Michelle matured early artistically speaking.

I think CoP obviously needs to be changed a lot. I agree with most of what Sonia Bianchetti feels about it. But there are certainly experts on this board, like Mathman. For those that like statistics and counting and math complexity its a great subject. One can't blame CoP for any skater's shortcomings but it does seem to reward the technical side of the sport more heavily.

Well, you wouldn't get many points, I don't think, for those moves Michelle did in EoE ... so in that sense, COP may be partly to blame for discouraging it.

The problem with your question to me about Danse Macabre is that I think that was one of the most perfect pieces of skating I've ever seen. I agree that Michelle matured early artistically. Astonishingly early. Yuna matured later. But I happen to find Yuna at 19 a very mature and incredibly artistic skater. I definitely perfer Michelle's style. But Yuna is not Michelle ... she has a different style. It's a matter of taste.
I know you'll protest but I distinctly get the feeling from many of your posts that Yuna is simply not much to your taste. ;) Nothing wrong with that.
I have criticized Yuna a lot for her lines and her un-pointed toes. I think those flaws prevent some viewers _ like Emily Frankel _ from appreciating how good an artist and dancer Yuna really is. It's valid to bring those flaws up, of course.

I agree with you about Scott - In spite of the criticism against him, I can't help but enjoy his commentary and I love how he empathizes with the skaters so much. I'm a sucker for his comentary :biggrin:
I have to admit I wish he'd call Yuna every once in a while on her toes, though. She definitely gets a pass on that one with the commentators. I came across a youtube video of G&G's 1988 Olympic performance in which Peggy said, "now if only she would point her toes." And I thought, hey, why doesn't she ever say that about Yuna??

Anyway.... to get to the point, I honestly don't think maturity is Yuna's problem. I think her problem with slightly awkward lines is just physical and she does the best she can.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I have to admit I wish he'd call Yuna every once in a while on her toes, though. She definitely gets a pass on that one with the commentators. I came across a youtube video of G&G's 1988 Olympic performance in which Peggy said, "now if only she would point her toes." And I thought, hey, why doesn't she ever say that about Yuna??

I think it's because Peggy doesn't commentate anymore. Ahaha.

It felt to truly appreciate it, or earn to appreciate it, you’d have to be some fine sophisticated skinny lady in full evening Chanel cocktail dress, adorned with a tres tres chic diamond necklaces which they spun around their little finger carelessly, while the other hand holding an ice cold matini peering out from their Manhattan penthouses, preferably with a view overlooking Central park from the upper east side. Her feet dangling a Louboutin leaning against the balconey, while seeping their ice cold drink enjoying a quiet moment of contemplation with a cool glee.

I love your whole post but especially this description. I think that when a skating performance opens a whole world to viewers, as it has to you here, then it's a great work.

In a way, a beautiful routine breaks the boundaries of time. The skater isn't rushing. Every move fills its moment and then floats to the next. The performance becomes almost a living thing. However one ranks YuNa, Mao, and Michelle, they are all capable of performances like this. They are each in the very small group of all-time great skaters.

princess9

On the Ice
Actually Layfan, I enjoy Yuna much but disagree with those inflated scores. I think she was her best in Vancouver, but it is really hard to judge skaters you have never seen live. And if you did not catch the broadcast, you get to watch on the internet. The word awkward is a word Orser has used, too. Anyway. So much bandwith for 2 skaters. I find Rochette very elegant and think we tend to focus on Mao/Yuna too much.

Peggy doesn't say very much of interest. I miss Dick Button. He seemed to say what he thought and was the only one who really did. Other than Weir of course. But I don't see any big gigs doing broadcasting in his future.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, all true, I think. Scott as a commentator brings much excitement. I like him, but he gushes and he wants to be very positive and complimentary with most skaters. The problem is he does a poor job of explaining what we are seeing technically. Skating when it was covered in years past would have these little tutorials I miss explaining different jumps and techniques.

Yes, he pretty much says the same thing with every skater...how tired they are at point A, "uhhhhggggh!!!!" at the completion of every jump. Of course he has his favorites (Evan, Alissa, Kimmie, Yu-na) about whom he sings their personal attributes.

I do wish somebody would point out the faults in yu-na's skating and in her programs instead of practically worshipping at her feat. I admire Yu-na as a skater, I admit she is one of the best ever. But I wish somebody would mention her lack of triple loop, her awkward, flexed feet and medicore spirals. To me Yu-na is 100% jumping talent who has been trained by the book and packaged well with good COP programs and flattering dresses and makeup which create a very nice whole. She also has the ability to sell the choreography better than some other skaters, but I am still not convinced she is an artist.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Actually Layfan, I enjoy Yuna much but disagree with those inflated scores. I think she was her best in Vancouver, but it is really hard to judge skaters you have never seen live. And if you did not catch the broadcast, you get to watch on the internet. The word awkward is a word Orser has used, too. Anyway. So much bandwith for 2 skaters. I find Rochette very elegant and think we tend to focus on Mao/Yuna too much.

Peggy doesn't say very much of interest. I miss Dick Button. He seemed to say what he thought and was the only one who really did. Other than Weir of course. But I don't see any big gigs doing broadcasting in his future.

Well, maybe some do. I was more focused on the American skaters than Mao or Yuna, to be honest.

Rochette is very good. But her spiral positions bug me even more than Yuna's. Much more, actually....

I miss Uncle Dick, too. :cry:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Rochette is very good. But her spiral positions bug me even more than Yuna's. Much more, actually....

I miss Uncle Dick, too. :cry:

She is not that flexible (actually its seems like she does not have that much strength in her back and derriere to hold up her leg) but her toe is pointed and she is not lauded as having a great spiral as yu-na so often is by judges and commentators.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna gave two of the absolute best performances in the history of figure skating at the Olympics, owns all the world records, and no one has ever approached near her scoring level, and you want to point out the "faults" in her skating... lol.

I wonder if Michael Jordan had so many "critics" when he was at his peak? Why is it that some people have hard time just admiring a truly wonderful thing and must try to be a cynic all the time? My suggestion is take a deep breath, and try to enjoy and appreciate what life offers you.

Anyway, I absolutely love Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic. They have jobs as commentators, but they also don't hide the fact that they are true admirers of Yuna. I could probably fill up 10 pages of this thread with amazing things Scott and Sandra have said about Yuna on air.

As for being an "artist", Yuna is one of the greatest artists there is, who also happen to be one of the greatest jumpers.

Personally, I have never seen more artistic and moving performances than Yuna's Danse Macabre and Gershwin by any individual. I grew up watching Michelle Kwan when she was at her peak, but I never felt the same sense of sheer awe that I now feel when watching Yuna. The only other skater that actually came close was Gordeeva/Grinkov.

Layfan

Record Breaker
She is not that flexible (actually its seems like she does not have that much strength in her back and derriere to hold up her leg) but her toe is pointed and she is not lauded as having a great spiral as yu-na so often is by judges and commentators.

Yeah, that's another important thing about spirals, no? Showing off how strong enough you are to hold your leg up? It's one thing I've noticed about Mao, for instance, she has great flexibility but she does that spiral where she holds her leg up at the knee. So it's prettier than Yuna's but maybe Yuna's shows off her strength more, I dunno ... people can feel free to correct me, I'm just wondering...

Ren

On the Ice
Yes, he pretty much says the same thing with every skater...how tired they are at point A, "uhhhhggggh!!!!" at the completion of every jump. Of course he has his favorites (Evan, Alissa, Kimmie, Yu-na) about whom he sings their personal attributes.

I do wish somebody would point out the faults in yu-na's skating and in her programs instead of practically worshipping at her feat. I admire Yu-na as a skater, I admit she is one of the best ever. But I wish somebody would mention her lack of triple loop, her awkward, flexed feet and medicore spirals. To me Yu-na is 100% jumping talent who has been trained by the book and packaged well with good COP programs and flattering dresses and makeup which create a very nice whole. She also has the ability to sell the choreography better than some other skaters, but I am still not convinced she is an artist.
Dick Button's pointed out a few times what was lacking in Yu-Na's spirals before, hasn't he? I also read somewhere (can't remember where) that Sandra Bezic and others (don't know who) have teased Team Orser about Yu-Na's feet. Not all of the Yu-Na performances I've seen on Youtube have NBC commentary, so I don't know if Bezic's ever made the (unpointed) feet comment while on TV (maybe she's told Orser or Wilson off-cam?). I don't know if any commentator has pointed out the non-inclusion of her triple loop this past season (actually, I wish that they would point out which triples each skater can and cannot do/are not doing). I'm sure there are other skaters (like Bob Paul, lately on ManleyWoman, IIRC) and commentators who have weighed in on such things and are not 'practically worshipping at her feet'. Maybe we've just not come across all of them..?

brianjyw

Rinkside
(Sorry this post is a bit long, it s a comparison/appreciation between Yuna’s WC Danse and OGM FS. It ended up so long just because I couldn't stop myself once I got into the 'inspired zone'. Apologies if any points has been covered by the forum already, I am new to this so I guess I am writing this for myself, and all feedback are welcomed.)

I might not be as well versed as most here recounting figure skating history, but i am well aware that Ito is known as the best jumper of all time and probably ever because her amazing 3A and the full sets of triples (Pop Trivia: In Chinese forums Ito’s nickname is called ‘Grandma Ito’, as a sign of respect as the most senior and respected female in the family; and Mao’s nick name is ‘Cat’ because the pronunciation of her English name is same as the word ‘Cat’ in Mandarin. Perhaps it also has to do with her feline supple quality on ice as well. Her name makes her sounding lovable, because well, who doesn’t like a cute cat or a ‘kitten’ esp given her off ice image fits it well). Shizuka is obviously known for her insane Inner Bauer despite her height which is tall for a skater. They are all best at their elements, but for me Yuna is something new, she is a complete package, similar to Michelle was of her era, the consistent, the artistry, a performances that they truly 'own' because it was told in their unique and very individual style.

It is hard to pinpoint Yuna’s best quality as there are many. She may not be the most flexible and point her toes, or have straightest back ballet posture, but she more than make up for it with practice so she was at least be able to match amongst the best in GOE scores. Her own arson of signatures moves, like 3:3, spread eagle / inner bauer onto a 3T or 2A and of course her lay back camel spins can not be repeated by the current sets of Ladies. Mirai tried but failed, she is young and will learn and improve. However you can’t discount Yuna’s innate talent because she was also one of the very few in history that were able join all the transitional together as natural as breathing on ice.

Her efforts at best are natural and invisible; it doesn’t feel like she’s even ‘trying’. This is a huge difference compared to other skaters which you can always tell they are thinking and preparing for whatever big jump next. She can be both fire and/or ice, dark and/or light, depends on whatever the piece is needed. Although she doesn’t have the longevity (yet) with the full breadth and range of performances to consider fully versatile yet, the few she was able perform at her best, they stood head and shoulders amongst the greats. The best contrast can be shown the essence she was able to deliver between her WC Danse and her OGM Gershwin FS.

Her Dance Macabre I’d say is about displaying athleticism and physical prowess while trying to defy the boundaries of physics and gravity in Ladies skating. To do the performance, she must be courageous and fierce to launch herself at maximum warp speed with complete abandonment and any visible efforts of human vulnerability. A spirit has over taken over her body, and put it on autopilot without the Hollywood special effects for 2.5 mins on acid. Other than those ridiculous jumps, look at how her body spun into a posture, then her head follows, spun then freezes, spuns and then freezes. It was as her body was having a life of its own, and her human constricts are merely slowly trying to catch up. It was almost supernatural and defies logic.

Her Gershwin number on the other hand is the exact opposite. It is all about light and serenity. A masterful display of ‘control’ and ‘fluidity’. It was far from a character piece like everyone else’s program. IMHO it feels like a summation of Yuna’s own human accomplishments in skating. The Olympics is the climax of her journey. Her FS is her commentary on the purity of ice skating, and Gershwin was merely a backdrop complimenting her reflection and contemplation on display.

It was as she is taking the judges on walk in central park - nice and easy – while slowly revealing her full sets of repertoires. Just count the number of times she addressed the judges with a different gazes in between each major element. Look for her full sets of definitive expressions and eye contacts.

It was as if she is asking

“Look what I can do.” “Look at what I have become.” “Are you impressed?” “Are you delighted?” “Did you like that?” “Have you seen better? etc

Through out the piece, there were clear junctures that she was able to demonstrate finesse, sophistication, and refinement. It was a case of less is more, quality over quantity. It was decisively elegant, simple, flirty, yet vulnerable and feminine. When she drops her arm, it wasn’t just about letting it fall and onto the next transition, but it is about fine-tuning the speed and the position it falls and how it accentuate to Gershwin’s notes, and punctuate the breaks. At times there implied some invisible elasticity in the other direction holding her upper body on to the next position, but the body is fighting against the motion as it wishes to enjoy ‘the moment’ …just a bit longer while her blade floats across the ice light, fast and dainty.

It was a nice contrast to her Bond program that was designed to be a populist piece, a fan service designed for the Olympics world wide audience, to be the ultimate crowd pleaser. And it worked. Her signature ending poses is famous and even copied by the entire Japanese Team including Mao during their break time.

But oh my, her Gershwin in contrast was so sophisticated it felt somewhat elitist it is almost untouchable.

It felt to truly appreciate it, or earn to appreciate it, you’d have to be some fine sophisticated skinny ladies in full evening Chanel cocktail dresses, adorned with a tres tres chic diamond necklaces which they'd spun around their little finger carelessly, while the other hand holding an ice cold matini peering out from their Manhattan penthouse, preferably with a view overlooking Central park from the upper east side. Her feet dangling a Louboutin leaning against the balcony, while sipping their ice cold drink enjoying a quiet moment of contemplation with a cool glee.

OMG. This is one of the most eloquent assessment of Yuna I have ever heard.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
And that's why David Wilson called Gershwin "Yuna's skating at its purest form."

And regarding Bezic and Yuna's stretching, I can't remember which broadcast, but she did say,

"And this is the most stretching I have seen from Yuna. We have always teased Brian about how Yuna doesn't like to stretch. So maybe there is something she can improve on. [laughter]"

Of course, my all-time favorite Bezic-Hamilton exchange is the following at the Skate America 2009 I think:

Scott: The best in the world without peer.
Sandra: And maybe one of the best ever! She is an incredible combination of beauty, grace, sensuality, technical ability, sensuality...
Scott: You said that twice. (Laughter). But I agree. It's so special. It's just such a great time in skating to have a talent like this and deliver the goods every single time.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yuna gave two of the absolute best performances in the history of figure skating at the Olympics, owns all the world records, and no one has ever approached near her scoring level, and you want to point out the "faults" in her skating... lol.

I wonder if Michael Jordan had so many "critics" when he was at his peak? Why is it that some people have hard time just admiring a truly wonderful thing and must try to be a cynic all the time? My suggestion is take a deep breath, and try to enjoy and appreciate what life offers you.

What is life without a little debate? Personally, I would find it quite awkward if there was no criticism of Yuna. Now, don't get me wrong, she (&Mao) were the reasons I started watching figure skating again, but I think it's a little ... sickening, if you will, if someone fawns all over a person and denying (or not addressing) a few of their faults. **Side note: It's a reason why I'm getting a bit ... weary of the MKF (Oh no! I hope I haven't incurred their wrath! *runs away*)

And yes, I'm sure he did. ;)

YunaBliss

On the Ice
lol. If I had a beer, it would be ever harder to restrain myself. I am not here to blindly worship Yuna or bash any other skaters. Heck, I have come to love the entire figure skating world (although it was due to Yuna).

I am only here to protest against certain prejudice, injustice, and political incorrectness that I sometimes see in this forum - it's subtle, but it's pervasive.

prettykeys

Medalist
**Side note: It's a reason why I'm getting a bit ... weary of the MKF (Oh no! I hope I haven't incurred their wrath! *runs away*)
lol, I know...it's one thing to have a favourite flower, but I love seeing a garden full of different varieties. ;)

For fun, I also Googled Kween: Urban Dictionary has some interesting definitions in there. Anyone care to put in one about MK? :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kween

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Anyway, I absolutely love Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic. They have jobs as commentators, but they also don't hide the fact that they are true admirers of Yuna. I could probably fill up 10 pages of this thread with amazing things Scott and Sandra have said about Yuna on air.

As for being an "artist", Yuna is one of the greatest artists there is, who also happen to be one of the greatest jumpers.

Personally, I have never seen more artistic and moving performances than Yuna's Danse Macabre and Gershwin by any individual. I grew up watching Michelle Kwan when she was at her peak, but I never felt the same sense of sheer awe that I now feel when watching Yuna. The only other skater that actually came close was Gordeeva/Grinkov.

as much as I love Scott, it is not his job as a commentator to lavish praise and pick favorites. Its his job to offer "expert" analysis. No one is going to be 100% unbiased but they need to be fair to all they are commenting on. When Scott was working for CBS he was much better in that regard imo.

I wonder if Michael Jordan had so many "critics" when he was at his peak?

Heck, yeah! I'm from Detroit, and the Detroit Pistons had a guy named Joe Dumars who had Michael in his pocket. Here's Joe (number 4) on the cover of Sports illustrated in 1990.

http://www.rayimre.com/d/940-2/Joe+Dumars+11-6-89.JPG

We tore up Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in the playoffs on the way to the 1989 and 1990 NBA championships.

Then in 1991 those cheating NBA referees got together with the crooked politicians in the NBA commissioners office -- personally, I think the Chicago mob made them an offer they couldn't refuse -- so they let Michael win in 1991. :cool: