So You Think You Can Dance 2010 - Who's Watching? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance 2010 - Who's Watching?

heyang

Record Breaker
sadly I missed tonights show, what did they do? I saw the very end of last night's episode.

It was similar to last year's pre-competiton show. They had all the competitor's peform numbers in their genre as choreo'd by the Mia, NapTab, Tyce, Travis Wall and other judges from the tryouts.

The all-stars also appeared. I tend to agree with Entertainment Weekly. They should've had the all-stars perform only in the opening # and then just left the top 10 for the remainder of the #'s. In some cases, the camera highlighted the all-stars, instead of getting us familiar with the actual Top 10.

Editing to add: BTw, I love many of the all-stars. It's just that the purpose of the show is to allow the 'voters' see the competitors in their genre at least once and to 'equal' out their air time since some competitors have had an advantage in having air time during tryouts and Vegas, while others are barely shown until 'decision time.'

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to agree with Entertainment Weekly. They should've had the all-stars perform only in the opening # and then just left the top 10 for the remainder of the #'s. In some cases, the camera highlighted the all-stars, instead of getting us familiar with the actual Top 10.
Just watched and I agree that they should have had the 10 dance alone. I was having a hard time trying to figure out who was who, especially with the women if they had the same color hair.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't the top 4 were: Alex, Billy, Robert & Kent. Sorry girls. I think Jose is cute tho & hope he does well.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last night it seemed like the judges were trying to justify having the all stars dancing this year or I guess it would be the format. They said having the all stars stepped up the pace...there's no learning time. To me it's more of the Dancing with the Stars format. I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Last night it seemed like the judges were trying to justify having the all stars dancing this year or I guess it would be the format. They said having the all stars stepped up the pace...there's no learning time. To me it's more of the Dancing with the Stars format. I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

sadly I have been working and am missing most of the shows this summer. it sounds to me like SYTYCD is feeling the pressure of ratings and are trying to be as popular as DwtS. This disappoints me as - to me - DwtS is not half as enjoyable. There's not as much versatility displayed.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think I find the new format interesting just because not all the All Stars are better than the Newbies. I'm thinking in particular of Billy Bell & his partner (Lauren?). IMO he was miles better than she was. I'm also wondering if these All Stars were out of work & that's why they were available for the show?

heyang

Record Breaker
I think I find the new format interesting just because not all the All Stars are better than the Newbies. I'm thinking in particular of Billy Bell & his partner (Lauren?). IMO he was miles better than she was. I'm also wondering if these All Stars were out of work & that's why they were available for the show?

I know some of them have been working. Lauren and Courtney (as well as Kherington and Jesse) have appeared as part of Vocal Adrenaline on Glee. Even before the show, Twitch was also teaching and choreographing at a studio in LA(?). I think their only all-star requirement was no winners and bit personality and strong dancers in their genre - I think everyone's at least top 6 in their season.

I think the point of picking all-stars is so you don't have 2 people learning a dance style that is also outside of both expertise's. i.e. a swing dancer and a break dancer learning a contemporary routine having to compete against 2 hip hop'rs doing a hip hop routine. By having at least one expert in the routine, it helps the less experienced dancer. In the case of Jose, it didnt' make a huge difference since he's a breaker doing hip hop - yes, they are different, but it's not as hard as him learning ballroom. Alex, Billy and Robert were within their expertise. Kent was probably the furthest outside of his genre.

I think Kent has a good shot at winning - he's definitely got the personality and charm to capture a lot of votes; so, if he performs well, he could be in the finals. Alex, Billy and Robert have to up the personality level; especially since they are such great dancers that they won't neccessarily show as much big improvement as some of the others.

I agree that the men appear to be the most likely finalists. None of the girls are performing as well as the 'weakest' guy and their personalities aren't coming across as big either. We'll wait and see - Jeanine , winner from 2 seasons ago, started off quiet and finished big.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone tell me what was soooooooo wrong with Jose's routine??? I mean....it wasn't thaaaaaaaaaaat baaaaaaad. It seems like the judges set the one up that's going home. I'm really upset at how they made it seem like it was the worse dance in all of SYTYCA history.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Can anyone tell me what was soooooooo wrong with Jose's routine??? I mean....it wasn't thaaaaaaaaaaat baaaaaaad. It seems like the judges set the one up that's going home. I'm really upset at how they made it seem like it was the worse dance in all of SYTYCA history.

I thought they were overly complimentary, because he sucked. They were excusing him for sucking. Everyone else who has done Bollywood, even the children Mollee and Nathan, tried to get the hand gestures and physical nuances of Bollywood. Jose wasn't even in the ballpark. He was entertaining, but he wasn't doing Bollywood. Anyone else would have been vilified.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think another girl will go tonight even tho the men were out of their element in the dances selected this week for the most part.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think another girl will go tonight

Which one???

even tho the men were out of their element in the dances selected this week for the most part.

That's the point I was trying to make about Jose's dance....they all pretty much sucked. :yes: :yes: Kent is getting on my nerves with his antics...get serious or go home.....I've had it. :mad:

:laugh: :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree, I think another girl will be going home. None of them are standing out with regards to dance or personality. If I had to pick a lady to save, I think I'd pick Ashley

I thought last night was so-so. Poor Billy getting Krump.

I couldn't tell if Jose's Bollywood was off or not, but it definitely wasn't on par with Joshua and Katee's (the 1st Bollywood # on SYTYCD) or any of the other's that followed.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well I watched it a couple of times; mainly to see Alex as he is a Canadian boy (from Edmonton, Alberta). Other than that, most of the show has left me cold. I don't care for most of the choreoography. I think I have lost interest in most of these talent shows. The dancers are all starting to look the same. Oh and America's Got Talent is a real joke. I only tuned in because Howie Mandel (another Canuck) is making the show worth watching- he is funny. Most of the talent is lame. Too many of these shows.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I agree Lad. As a rule, I don't care for "circus" acts, which seems to be the case most of the time on America's Got Talent. As for SYTYCD, I like the new set-up this year with the All Stars. Several of the boys are very good and I like Lauren the best of the girls, although I am also cheering for Ashley as she's a local gal. 42

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Actually, I tho't the tap dancer would be eliminated this week, not the salsa dancer. I was impressed by Christina' s routine.

heyang

Record Breaker
Actually, I tho't the tap dancer would be eliminated this week, not the salsa dancer. I was impressed by Christina' s routine.

I agree. I would've sent Melinda home, but apparently Mia and Adam preferred her over Christina. I do think Melinda has more presence than Christina. However, unless Melinda has an epiphany, she's probably going home next week.

The girls are not very memorable this year. IMO.

I hope Adechike has his 'moment'. I think he's the most powerful dancer of all the guys, but he hasn't been able to show an honest connection to the music and choreography. Hopefully, he'll be like Ivan from season 2 where a 'switch' gets turned on. I think Ivan's partnership with Allyson really helped bring his performance up. Also, 2 seasons ago, Janette's being Brandon's initial partner, really brought him out of his shell. This is where changing partners might be a detriment as the competitors have to get used to a new partner every week.

Lent, Jose and Robert probably have the biggest personalities thus far. I was surprised that Robert was in the bottom 3.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, so Mia is totally at the bottom of my list for what she said to Melinda. :mad: :mad: