New video compl-Greatest Olympic Perf. | Golden Skate

New video compl-Greatest Olympic Perf.

lulu

Final Flight
Mayflower video has just released a two set volume of the Greatest Olympic Performances of All time.

Here is the URL with a list of the skaters:http://www.tenmayflower.com/

I have no problem with anyone on that list-but they seem to be missing many great performances.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I received an ad in the mail for this. I am going to go ahead and order it. Maybe if this sells well they will have a "Olympic Figure Skating Greatest Performances in History II".

4dogknight

Final Flight
I think I'll skip this offer. I did notice they included Jamie and David and not Elena and Anton.

Hmmm might this be a Canadian company?

4dk

heyang

Record Breaker
There have been commercials for this compilation on all the Grand Prix broadcasts here in the US. I just told my friends that one of them could buy them for me as a Christmas gift.

They also offer a 3 volume set of the best performances from Champions On Ice. Some really old programs. Michelle as Peter Pan. Gordeeva and Grinkov. Torvill and Dean. In some of the performances, you can tell that they are older due to the lighting quality.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
4dogknight & BravesSkateFan:

Why? Are you biased? Just curiosity from a Canuck.

Hmmm might this be a Canadian company?
I doubt it!

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
I wonder if these are just LPs and Free Dances - I would imagine so, but I think that would be a shame. I would want to see the short and the long.

I bring this up because I noticed that they included several skaters who did not win Oly gold, but no Kwan. I thought that was a serious omission, but if they are only showing LPs, perhaps they thought her Oly perfs weren't a good example (I would disagree about '98, but that's just me). Or maybe they only included 1 person/couple in an Olympics?

guinevere

lulu

Final Flight
guinevere said:
Or maybe they only included 1 person/couple in an Olympics?

I don't think so-because both Sarah Hughes and Alexei Yagudin are on the video-and they're both from the same Olympics.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, I'm torn on this one. It is strange that they would include Midori Ito, and not Nancy Kerrigan (94) or Michelle Kwan (98). Both were closer competitions and also wonderful silver medal performances. And I must add that it is very strange that they omitted B&S! Others that should be on any Olympic compilation:

Katarina Witt 1984/1988
Elizabeth Manley 1988
At least one Irina Rodnina performance, she did win the event 3 times!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Kristi fell but it was still a good performance and the same is true for Janet Lynn's lp. However, Peggy Fleming's long in '68 was one of her worst. It's included. I wonder what their standards for ''great'' performances was based on? Name recognition maybe?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ilia Kulik is not included??? Huh, very strange indeed on what they based their selections as his Olympic freeskate definetely should have on the second tape. Won´t bother to buy...

Marjaana

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
A quite unbalanced collection to me and too Northamerican sided as well.
At least I'm glad Yags is included ... :)

Anke

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Why? Are you biased? Just curiosity from a Canuck.

Its not so much that I'm biased (although I do like B&S's skating better), its the fact that the company would include S&P but not B&S. How can they say that S&P's is one of the greatest Oly performances, but not B&S's when they BOTH won the same competition. It seems to me like the company that made this video is biased, and I won't support that.

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
I would like to see a company take the time to release several volumes of Olympic (or even Worlds as well) performances, encompassing the decades (i.e. 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.) so that they can include all the gold medalists in each event as well as some notable silver and bronze performances. I'm still amazed that no one has really committed to creating a quality figure skating video series that includes all the great performances we've seen over the years and there are more than what's on this series. I'm not sure what they're saving the footage for, it's not being re-broadcast as far as I know, so they could make a lot of money and make skating fans very, very happy at the same time. :)

Maybe they're waiting to see what happens with the Ice Channel?

Lucy

4dogknight

Final Flight
Ditto to BravesSkateFan's post - no bias here. Though it does seem lop-sided to include one without the other since both won the same prize.

4dk

lulu

Final Flight
Personally, I'm dissapointed in the collection-they seem to be missing many great performances, I wonder what their criteria was? Although it if sells well, they might make a "The (Almost) Greatest Olympic Performaces" video;)

And while I like Robin Cousins and Kristi Yamaguchi, I don't see their performances at the Olympics are two of the best of all times. (JMHO).

And as someone mentioned before, I'm:confused: as to why S&P got on, but B&S didn't.

It's great that The Protopopovs are featured (I've never seen a full skating clip from their Olympic days) and Wagner and Paul, but no Rodnina? What about M&D's Liebestraume? or K&P's 1992 Olympic Performance? Or even Gritshuk and Platov's "Memorial"?

I do like how they include silver and bronze performances along with the gold.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Just thinking it over, it's probably selling strategy more than any other reason. Why put both S&P and B&S on the same tape and sell one copy, when you can put them on different tapes and sell 2 ? Most people will want both performances for comparison.I am sure they plan to put out more tapes if these do well. That might also be the reason for the not-so-great filler.

Last edited:

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
They are definitely slanting towards North American skaters, but I guess they think that will sell better in this market. That may be true for casual skating fans, but the more serious skating fan would want a wider range of performances.

They also may have had problems getting music clearances for a commercial video for certain of the performances.