The "please say something nice about Mao thread" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The "please say something nice about Mao thread"

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Say something nice about Mao? I don't need much ecouragment. ;)

When I first saw Mao , it was like a lovely Japanese woodblock print had come to life on my TV. I was just entranced. I've loved her skating all along , but I haven't felt the Tarasova partnership was a good fit for her ; not for any lack of technical benefits , but the costumes and choreography have been just too much. I can't say I never like Tarasova's choreography , but it's always big and bold. It's like a banner headline , while Mao, herself, is more naturally like an elegant Haiku.

Even while being struck by this uncomfortable dichotomy , I've still loved her skating, and admired her ( samurai-like :) ) dedication and determination.

So I'm very looking forward to the new season, and hope the changes she's making bring her success.

Robeye

Final Flight
???

Anyway, without Mao, Yuna wouldn't have to work harder to improve her skating skills.

I think there's a reason that a discussion of the one skater almost always leads to mention of the other. There's such a large qualitative gap (although the qualities themselves differ) between these two and the rest of the field, that no other current benchmark exists except each other.

As a Yuna fan foremost, I believe the following statement can only be made about Mao: if her best qualities were combined with Yuna's best, the result would be a nearly perfect skater.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
LOL, rturek! you did predict well. And Brownfox, that is true and a compliment to Mao! Somehow I feel I have pulled one of your teeth. (american idiom) :laugh:

Princess9, love ya and your many thoughtful posts but big Huh?? from an American about "I feel I have pulled one of your teeth" as an American idiom -- that's a new one on me! What does it mean? Is it supposed to be like when we say we've yanked/pulled someone's chain, or "pushed his button" -- meaning we have brought up an issue that is particularly bothersome or irritating to someone? Or did you mean what we call a "backhanded" compliment? Or did you perhaps mean "pull someone's leg"?

Just want to add I know the tiniest bit of French and that's it, I could never comprehend a message board in another language, much less post in a manner that anyone else could understand, so I have the deepest respect for your language skills!

I have to add to my off-topicness by noting that I know several native Germans who often say "really great" as an expression of enthusiasm when they speak English; they use that phrase very, very frequently. There is absolutely nothing grammatically wrong with that phrase but imo it is not in the least idiomatic -- I just don't hear too many native English speakers say something is "really great" much at all. I hear, "excellent" or "wonderful" or "cool" or "sick" or whatever the latest slang is, but not "really great" right and left -- so I'm starting to wonder if there's some commonly-used English textbook in the German school system that gives "really great" as a standard exclamation of approval, lol. Not that it matters as I'm really picking a nit here, and also including as many idioms as I can in this post!

But I do think Mao's determination and her grace under pressure are "really great"! She's tough and tenacious, like Olympia said. I actually like the Bells of Moscow program a lot even though I realize so many fans don't think the style of the program suited Mao at all. I think she carried it off well, esp. of course at Olys and Worlds.

^ I don't know how uniquely American it is, but I think "to pull someone's teeth (or claws)," meaning , to render them powerless, is a legitimate phrase. So pulling one of your teeth would mean something like, "removing an arrow from your quiver." (I think that's an old British idiom from the days of Robin Hood.) :cool:

Just for fun, I typed "really great" into Google and got 14,000,000 hits. That's sick. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
As a Yuna fan foremost, I believe the following statement can only be made about Mao: if her best qualities were combined with Yuna's best, the result would be a nearly perfect skater.

ummm....I am sorry to say this: but both girls, as great as they are could use a bit of Michelle in them.

By that I mean they could use a little bit of Janet Lynn in them. :) :love:
Such natural grace and audience connection is hard to teach - maybe it is something a skater has to be born with but Janet had it and so did Michelle.

Yuna has shown it at times and so has Mao - but to be honest more in her Gala skates.

Anyway, I think if there was such a thing as a "perfect" skater many of us might lose interest. :think:

rondoboy

Rinkside
But I do think Mao's determination and her grace under pressure are "really great"! She's tough and tenacious, like Olympia said. I actually like the Bells of Moscow program a lot even though I realize so many fans don't think the style of the program suited Mao at all. I think she carried it off well, esp. of course at Olys and Worlds.

That makes two of us. I like the Bells of Moscow, too:yay::yay:.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ I don't know how uniquely American it is, but I think "to pull someone's teeth (or claws)," meaning , to render them powerless, is a legitimate phrase. So pulling one of your teeth would mean something like, "removing an arrow from your quiver." (I think that's an old British idiom from the days of Robin Hood.) :cool:

Just for fun, I typed "really great" into Google and got 14,000,000 hits. That's sick. :)

Aaah, gotcha, I've certainly occasionally heard the analogy/idiom of pulling claws, but "pulling _one_ of your teeth" just wasn't bringing up any associations (but since I have definitely noticed a middle-aged decline in brainpower, I googled a couple of variations of the wording before I posted just to try to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious [and only got tips for pulling your own teeth at home, lol]), but I didn't think of pulling claws/teeth as in rendering powerless. Good job on the "really great" but again although certainly grammatically correct I just don't hear it used like this constant phrase as my stepdaughter and some of her (also native German) friends/family and others I've heard use it.

Not that it's important, back to praising Mao! But thanks for the interpretation ...

I think what Princess9 was trying to imply was that getting some people to praise Mao was like pulling teeth. That's the way I've usually heard the phrase. I think that praising the rival of one's idol is often way out of a person's comfort zone. Too bad; people who like only one of these splendid skaters are missing out. As Robeye said--well, let me quote:

I think there's a reason that a discussion of the one skater almost always leads to mention of the other. There's such a large qualitative gap (although the qualities themselves differ) between these two and the rest of the field, that no other current benchmark exists except each other.

rondoboy

Rinkside
I'll be nice as long as her fans don't attack Yuna. :agree:

Great! See? No one is attacking Yuna in this thread:biggrin:
Welcome to the party! :party2:

Hi,Flattfan!

I like all of Mao's programs, too. The Bells is my favorite, though.
She continues to challeng and has shown different "Mao" on ice every season.
I like lovely Mao, elegant Mao, comical Mao, fluffy Mao, passionate Mao ...and the list goes on:laugh:

I heard that she is in Russia now. Can't wait to see her new program!!

princess9

On the Ice
I love that dancing banana emoticon, Lol. see how nice the ubers are playing? How sweet. Everyone loves Mao and Yuna!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Something nice about Mao? Since I don't know her I can't be sure what she is like but I admire the way she handles herself when she is in the spotlight.

And I also think Mao has one of the most adorable smiles I have ever seen. :love:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I love Mao because she tries new things and doesn't stick with the "pwetty pwetty pwincess" appeal that ladies figure skating is often associated with. Seriously, what other lady skaters do you know that went from something light like Clair de Lune to something heavy like The Bells of Moscow?