Pet Peeves | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Lad wrote...

I will add to that proofreading or lack of proofreading - newspapers - I've seen more blunders in newspapers. You'd think these people would really be on top of things!
-------------------------------------------
How true!
Yesterday evening our local newspaper had a little message that read something like....

Due to flooding it has been difficult and in some cases impossible for us to get today's paper to all of our customers. If you did not receive this paper please call 555-5555 and we will attempt to get one to you as soon as possible.
:laugh: :confused: :sheesh:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
For those that are sick of the unruly children that seem to be more and more common these days, here's a link for you: http://www.fred.net/turtle/kids/kidrants.shtml

Warning: if you're convinced that your particular bundle of joy is the end all be all and no one should ever feel differently, and those that would dare to say they don't want any of their own bug you, then you might get offended by the opinions that are posted.

My pet peeves have been covered already by other posts here, but I'm sure I can come up with more later.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
The teens in my neighborhood who fill my entire street as they walk to the bottom where the bus stop is. I can barely get my little car through in the mornings when I come home from early morning skating--God forbid the insolent little darlings would ever be courteous enough to move to the side of the road.

And while we are on that--is it a teenager rule that its better to get soaked or freeze to death rather than wear a warm coat or carry an umbrella over your "cool" clothes???? And is smiling also illegal in the teen world? My yearbook was filled with candids of smiling students. Now all of them look like they're about to go on the Bataan Death March.

Girls and women who are not built like Britney Spears who insist on wearing the crop top-Britney-bare belly look. Ick. Yuck. I don't need to see that, especially when you're over 35.

Parents who blame every mistake/poor perfomance/less than perfect act on the part of their children on the teacher/coach/system. After all, their little darling shouldn't have to put in any effort, he or she should get a coronation just based on their inherent natural talents.

Personal working PET peeves:

Patients who show up massively early for appointments or very late, then get angry when they aren't taken care of right away. Yes, I realize doctor's offices have wait times, but you don't help out in any way by not following the schedule. Our schedule usually runs like a clock in my dept. and 90% of the time, the delays are caused by patients showing up late.

Massively overweight patients who cannot handle not eating for a few hours while they undergo an imaging test that could make a big difference in the course of their health. I'm not kidding, we've had people refuse tests or walk out halfway because they cannot go for a few hours without stuffing themselves. (Would you believe I've been yelled at that "I'm starving people" or "discriminating against the overweight" because I expect them to follow the same rules as every other patient????) Its truly sad.

Fellow physicians who expect scan results three minutes after the study is completed, but whom you can barely find when you need information on the patient to DO the doggone study!!!!

Kasey

Medalist
Anything related to the turn signal in cars! About 1.7% of the population use them properly, and never around me!

Kasey

Suzy

On the Ice
4dogknight said:
Lately I've been noticing a trend in TV, films and advertising that portrays men as having a lower intellect, unable to perform the simplest of tasks and generally acting like couch potatoes unable to understand anything other than organized sports programs and scores.

Well, good for you. For me, unfortunately, the above statement rings true:rolleye:

The thing is, what offends one person, another person is going to find funny. T.V. is full of stereotypes, I am offended by the ones that hit close to home whereas I'm sure others would find hilarious. Can't please everyone.:sheesh:

Suzy

On the Ice
People who brake as they approach an intersection hoping the light will turn yellow so they can stop. Am I the only one who has to be somewhere at a certain time?

People who are stopped at a red light and when it turns green stay there until you beep at them and then they get pissed and give you the finger.

I walked into an expensive store's ladies room and as I walked I looked into each stall and had to walk to the 6th one because the first 5 weren't flushed. I really thought they had a plumbing problem or something but there wasn't. Do they do that at home, too?

People at a party who ask where you live (i.e., neighborhood or subdivision) and if it isn't prestigious enough for their taste, kind of tune you out as if you weren't rich enough to waste their time talking to you.

Snobs.

Brats.

Shaking hands as a sign of peace and greeting each other with a handshake at church and joining hands during the Our Father. Why can't we just nod our heads. I don't want to hold your hand, I don't even know you or if you are sick.

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Suzy said:

Shaking hands as a sign of peace and greeting each other with a handshake at church and joining hands during the Our Father. Why can't we just nod our heads. I don't want to hold your hand, I don't even know you or if you are sick.

OMG, thank you for saying that! I find it gross as well. What's worse is when you get people around you that are huggy and they get offended when you take a step back to avoid being smothered by them. I keep my hands to myself and do not join in; if they think I'm rude, so be it.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Re: Re: Pet Peeves

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How sad. That is why God made handwashing.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Suzy, I totally agree with the "non-flushable"toilet problem. To add to that, what about people who don't "wash" their hands after they use the toilet? Gross!!! 42

beebeeuk

Rinkside
Ooh I have lots. Basically I'm an intolerant person! ;)

In no particular order:

TV adverts
People swearing
Untidy, lazy people
The Ungrateful
The Arrogant
bad manners
unreliable bus, train and air service
white van drivers and inconsiderate ones
sports with balls being televised in preference to skating
white cat hair
people who shed hair on my floor
people who have 11 children and can't control them
Prejudiced Scottish people
war and violence
crimes against women
queues (hate them with a passion)
Labour Council (UK)
100 more household-related offences, too boring to mention

:p

beebeeuk

Rinkside
Pookie said:
It drives me crazy when someone asks a question and then doesn't care enough listen to the answer. Why bother? I'm not the most exciting person to talk to but they did ask!

You all aren't listening, are you? :laugh:

LOL!
I agree with you though...that is SO annoying!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Suzy:

People who brake as they approach an intersection hoping the light will turn yellow so they can stop. Am I the only one who has to be somewhere at a certain time?

One of my big driving pet peeves is people who do not yield at yellow lights - run the yellow light and red light. I almost got rear ended this morning by a driver who decided to run the yellow light just as I stopped at it. There was black ice! I quickly made a right hand turn on the corner so I would not be another ICBC statistic. I just got my car back from the autobody shop last week!

There are too many people running lights these days and causing accidents. I don't know where people got the idea that approaching an intersection does not involve caution and care. It's only good road sense.

Suzy

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Suzy:

One of my big driving pet peeves is people who do not yield at yellow lights - run the yellow light and red light. I almost got rear ended this morning by a driver who decided to run the yellow light just as I stopped at it. There was black ice! I quickly made a right hand turn on the corner so I would not be another ICBC statistic. I just got my car back from the autobody shop last week!

There are too many people running lights these days and causing accidents. I don't know where people got the idea that approaching an intersection does not involve caution and care. It's only good road sense.

I can understand if the light turns yellow and you slow to a stop, but why do you slow down at an intersection while the light is still green, or you slow down when the pedestrian light starts to flash a warning. No wonder you've been rear-ended.

I am a careful driver, have never got a moving violation or wreck, don't talk on the cell phone, and I look both ways while entering an intersection without s-l-o-w-i-n-g down.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a lovely set of annoying stuff. I agree with so many of them, particularly the one sheet toilet dispenser, set to save money, but not much use.

Also the toilet, usually in an unfamiliar airport, that has no discernable flush handle, but is not self flushing (is it not working?) I have spent 5 frantic minutes only to finally find a tiny
eraser head size button, part way down one side of the pipe.
If it's that small, a large sign would be appreciated.

Waitresses that call me Hun. I don't know you well enough for you to call me Honey let alone Hun. And I do not resemble an ethnic Hun either, AFAIK. What it means, as far as I can tell is Old Person. And while that is true, you can't expect me to tip you for that, can you?

Endless road construction that never is completed on time and one has to zig zag all the way to work and back or get stuck in traffic.

Boy do I agree with this one. The road to our house has been torn up for over a year and I am so so tired of it. Then we went to FL and the same thing! A road that had been torn up a year ago when we went there, still torn up. In that case they had an excuse. They had to wait until the eagles finished nesting.

These phone solicitoring machines that call your house and wait for you to answer, hear nothing, and hang up so that they know what time to call you.

Yes, I do feel better!

dpp