New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise | Golden Skate

New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
New President of Russian Figure Skating Federation Selected Today, Plus a Surprise

Today there was a meeting in Russia, for the purpose of choosing a new president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, the FFKR in Russian. There were three candidates from whom to choose. One, Oksana Grishchuk ("Oxana (Pasha) Grishuk"), was disallowed as a candidate, leaving Aleksandr Gorshkov and Anton Sikharulidze in the running. Anton removed himself as a candidate, because he was not happy with a new regulation that had been introduced. Then Aleksandr Gorshkov was declared the new president of the FFKR, replacing Valentin Piseyev ("Piseev").

It turns out that the new regulation was one which created the post of Director-General of the federation, and that post is to be filled by none other than---Valentin Piseyev!

I acquired this information from sports.ru. Some interviewed seemed pleased about Gorshkov becoming president, but now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, on the question of what will be the real powers of the new "Director-General".

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/71061319.html

That says Gorshkov became the new President of the FFKR. He is chairman of the technical committee of the ISU on ice dance.

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/71061754.html

That says that Piseyev is selected to be Director-General of the FFKR. It also says that at the election conference the vote was 65 to 1.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oh, goody. I knew this needed it's own thread. I'm not surprised Anton would have preferred to be more than a figurehead.
So.Let's see if I've got this, so far :
Piseev -Director general, or general manager, new position,same powers as before.
Gorshkov - president ( someone on FSU reported that he says he'll be responsible for readying the team for Sochi ..I think they meant G, not P )..But can he retain his ISU post at the same time?If not..I joked about Alla Shekhovtsova moving over to this position (on the SLC thread), but according to posters on FSU, some in Russia are thinking this may be a real possibility ( who else might be in the running )
Shekhovtsova - Piseev's wife and head of judging for ISU..:rolleye:can't find her actual title, but she's at least very prominent. If she moved to Gorshkov's post , who would be looking to fill her shoes, from among the anonymous ?

I'm getting a headache.:laugh:

Last edited:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Okay I think I understand what happened.

I have never been a fan of Russian Figure Skating, and politking of the Federation has always made me upset.

BUT ever since the creation of Khokolova and Andreev, I have found a reason to not only support Russian Ice dancing, but the first Russian team I am going to support since Gordeeva and Grinkov. So my primary concern with all of this, is how this is going to affect K/A's skating and if they are all going to support them, or throw them under a truck.

Is there any speculation about why they decisded re-name Piseev's title and create a new figurehead-type position like this?

My suspicion--and this is just from years of watching general politics and human nature, not from any knowledge of the skating federation--is that they resented being told by the Russian government that heads had to roll after Russia's poor results at Vancouver. I'm sure all the sports federations were told to clean house. But the skating federation might have decided that they want to make their own choices. So they nominally "fired" Piseev, but he got to take his powers with him. At least, that's one possibility.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) In any political situation those with more power and influence hope to maintain it and those with less want more.

Just from reading here and there..some report Gorshov will be in charge of the Russian team and Piseev will oversee development, Shekhovtsova wants a position on the technical committee..who knows yet ?

Fashionista

On the Ice
My suspicion--and this is just from years of watching general politics and human nature, not from any knowledge of the skating federation--is that they resented being told by the Russian government that heads had to roll after Russia's poor results at Vancouver. I'm sure all the sports federations were told to clean house. But the skating federation might have decided that they want to make their own choices. So they nominally "fired" Piseev, but he got to take his powers with him. At least, that's one possibility.

True.

Mafke

Medalist
Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss.

(someone had to say it)

What exactly is the FFKR and what is its Terms of Reference?

How does is affect the Office of the President of the RF?

Is it an Overseer of All Russian Sports?

Mafke

Medalist
What exactly is the FFKR and what is its Terms of Reference?

Unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am) FFKR would be the Russian initials of the Russian Figure Skating Federation.

F - Federation (of)
F - Figure
K - Skating (of)
R - Russia

I have some ide of the roots but don't know enough Russian to put it together grammatically, I'll let one of the resident Russian speakers do that.

KKonas

Medalist
Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss.

(someone had to say it)

Unfortunately - yes. Gorshkov has always followed Piseev's direction, now it's official. If the ISU keeps Gorshkov as head of ISU Ice Dance Tech Committee and Alla S. becomes a member of the Dance Tech Committee, and Lakernik remains head of singles and pairs, we might as well rename the ISU, the RSU.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Unfortunately - yes. Gorshkov has always followed Piseev's direction, now it's official. If the ISU keeps Gorshkov as head of ISU Ice Dance Tech Committee and Alla S. becomes a member of the Dance Tech Committee, and Lakernik remains head of singles and pairs, we might as well rename the ISU, the RSU.

Is this the same one who was OK with the exquisitely innovative "bungee chord" assisted dancing shown by D/S in Vancouver :eek:hwell:

But it is nice that someone reported the results of the vote - what was it, 69-1 in favor of Pisseev?

It is nice to see how much things have changed in the new Russia. In the former Soviet era the vote would have been much different, more like 70-0.

I am reminded of the song, "When Everything Old Is New Again." ;)

Last edited:
My questions are not quite answered, and thank you Mafke for taking a stab at one of the. I'll try again:

1, What is the FFKR; what is its Terms of Reference; and now let me know if has existed before this election?

2. Is the Director General in charge of the President of the Russian FS?

3. Does it involve other Sports?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Oh Yikes! What can I say - they learn from the top figures - Putin could no longer remain president without changing the constitution, so he became the prime minister, with a weak Medvedev for a president. I mean, I knew nothing would really change, and I knew Piseev wouldn't just disappear - but the cynicism of this is just appalling!

Then again, there was some talk that no serious candidate would even want the job now, because they'll be blamed for poor results in Sochi no matter how you look at it (even under the best of circumstances, Russia won't win as many medals there as it thinks it should). So perhaps any real changes will just have to wait until after that. Sigh...

Now, the question is this - can ISU block Shekhovtseva? I actually think Russian ice dancing can have a big future; if she's the head of ice dancing technical committee, no one will ever take the Russians' good results seriously.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Oh Yikes! What can I say - they learn from the top figures - Putin could no longer remain president without changing the constitution, so he became the prime minister, with a weak Medvedev for a president.

That is _exactly_ the parallel I first thought of.....

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
But it is nice that someone reported the results of the vote - what was it, 69-1 in favor of Pisseev?

It is nice to see how much things have changed in the new Russia. In the former Soviet era the vote would have been much different, more like 70-0.

I am reminded of the song, "When Everything Old Is New Again." ;)

OMG, thanks so much for a good laugh!!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'll translate some commentaries later, but this is just a blog entry from Elena Vaitsekhovskaya:

http://blog.sport-express.ru/users/vellena/
Today, [I went to the elections for FFKR] in Novogorsk. Honestly, I really enjoyed myself. Why? Because I had the right approach, that’s why. So many people, by the way, left the conference room all depressed, saying, “hell, a whole day lost”…

My, though, I came to see a vaudeville. I didn’t fail to entertain me. The acting was great.

There was such a variety! There was “the lover”, who was also the “unrecognized genius”. A comic hag. The main secondary part, a gray cardinal… I would’ve given them all Oscars without a second thought! As for the director of this… I don’t even know what prize to make up for him. It was pure genius, really.
So, what do we have at the end of the day?

President (a figurehead) Alexander Gorshkov. General director with all rights and absolute power – Valentin Piseev. If anyone is interested who’ll be nominated to replace Gorshkov as a leader of the ISU ice dancing technical committee – have no fear, it’s going to be the unparalleled master Alla Shakhovtseva. She only has one drawback – she’s Piseev’s wife.

Then again, it was only in yesteryear that it would’ve been considered bad to be a wife of the disgraced president…

janetfan

Match Penalty
OMG, thanks so much for a good laugh!!!!

I am glad at least one GS member knew I was KIDDING. :)

I really have no opinion about who heads the Russian skating federation.

I think most GS members admire the great contributions Soviet and Russian skaters have brought to the sport we love so much.

Still, I am grateful that Evan stopped Plushy from becoming "like Dick Button" and at the same time managed to expose him for the crybaby that he is. ;) (Kidding again :laugh:)

I just watched Kulik's Nagano LP for the first time in years. How wonderful his jumps and other elements were performed. But I still wonder why he skated to Gershwin or felt the need to use any music at all? :think:

I can hardly recall an Olympic champion who managed to ignore the music the way he did.
He did show great technique and elegant positions - but even Evan could give him lessons when it comes to musicality and expression. He was great in his own way - but kind of like watching a cyborg skate. I suspect he could have been a great CoP skater ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxLRBysvu5g

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Ptichka - Exactly.. I was going to raise this last night but couldn't wrap my head around all of it . Surely the ISU would not want to have Russians heading every major committee..wouldn't be the best PR , would it ? OOps! i notice you have a new post since i started this...I'm off to read it.