2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

chloepoco

Medalist
Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

Has anyone heard what Kozuka is skating to, and if it is true that Kurt Browning choreographed for him?

berrycute

On the Ice

Kiira Korpi will have new programs made by Shae-Lynn Bourne and David Wilson. I don't know about music but I hope new choreographies will give her some kick to her career! David Wilson has done some real masterpieces, I hope this time too.

Ooooh! Exciting! I hope one of these days Laura follows Kiira's steps and gets some A-list choreography too. Laura's programs have been nice thus far, but I think she is getting a bit safe (she's done several hispanic/latin themed programs now, time for a change) and I'd love to see her work a classic like Swan Lake or Scheherazade with some divalicious choreography from TAT or maybe Morozov.

Back to Kiira, I am particularly looking forward to the Wilson piece. My bet is Shae-Lynn will give her a jazzy short (which she has done before, eg Passenger from Copenhagen, so not much of an extension for her), and Wilson gives her a dreamy, classical long. She should do Finlandia by Sibelius, a nice patriotic theme and it works well for skating I think (Chris Mabee used it once, if I recall correctly).

gmyers

Record Breaker

Korppi is so pretty! Her yellow dress? Best looking skater last season no doubt!!!

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice

Korppi is so pretty!

I know that was a typo but you made me really laugh: "Korppi" is a raven in Finnish :laugh: "Korpi" means kind of wilderness, some silent thick forest without people.

Berrycute, I also think Wilson would have some classical slow music. But I don't think Sibelius's Finlandia is a piece you could skate. It's also very well-known, almost too-much-played-and-heard in Finland so I think it wouldn't fit to figure skating. I haven't seen it either in dancing, maybe it's too "sacred" for Finnish people. I like Finlandia, I have played it several times but I can't imagine it as a figure skating music. Otherwise Sibelius made lots of good music which could be suitable for dancing or figure skating.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

I know that was a typo but you made me really laugh: "Korppi" is a raven in Finnish :laugh: "Korpi" means kind of wilderness, some silent thick forest without people.

Berrycute, I also think Wilson would have some classical slow music. But I don't think Sibelius's Finlandia is a piece you could skate. It's also very well-known, almost too-much-played-and-heard in Finland so I think it wouldn't fit to figure skating. I haven't seen it either in dancing, maybe it's too "sacred" for Finnish people. I like Finlandia, I have played it several times but I can't imagine it as a figure skating music. Otherwise Sibelius made lots of good music which could be suitable for dancing or figure skating.

like Valse Triste, which is my dream music for Yu-Na. :)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight

....But I don't think Sibelius's Finlandia is a piece you could skate. It's also very well-known, almost too-much-played-and-heard in Finland so I think it wouldn't fit to figure skating. I haven't seen it either in dancing, maybe it's too "sacred" for Finnish people. I like Finlandia, I have played it several times but I can't imagine it as a figure skating music. Otherwise Sibelius made lots of good music which could be suitable for dancing or figure skating.
Jill Watson & Peter Oppegard used Finlandia in their 1988 FS (first and last sections, Madame Butterfly was the slow part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l08mmPKzabo

Midori Ito used it as the last section of her 1991 FS (go to 3:29 in the clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtCNoWPehxk

Thanks for the Finnish translation. Both words, Korppi and Korpi, sound beautiful and have a lovely meaning.

I have been exploring a lot of Sibelius lately, and I too wish that people would use music other than his two most famous pieces, "Finlandia" and "Valse Triste," though both are indeed lovely. For example, I think that his tone poem "En Saga" has a wonderful rhythm, and that parts of the Third Symphony have potential. There's also the Nocturne from his "King Christian" Suite. His music takes me to another world.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Misspelling Korpi creates a new Finnish word! Interesting.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice

Misspelling Korpi creates a new Finnish word! Interesting.

In Finnish there are lots of words where adding a letter makes a total difference between words, eg. "tuli" is fire, "tuuli" is wind. "Kina" is a small fight, "Kiina" is China. "Arki" is a weekday, "arkki" is a sheet of paper. "Vesa" is a male name, "vessa" is a toilet. :biggrin: You can hear the clear difference when saying the words.

Thanks hrmsk8ngnutt fo the links! I didn't know Midori Ito used Finlandia. And to my ears it sounded a little bit cornish... Otherwise the program was livingful. This is one of my ever favourites: Rahkamo & Kokko 1993 Worlds FD, Valse Triste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wulzC1rx4oA

Olympia, nice to see you know Sibelius music! My favourite is his 2nd symphony. Maybe not good for skating... There are also some other symphonic poems among Saga (which is Swedish and means a fairy tale in English) and music to some plays and ballets which could be used in figure skating. I hope ISU would deny using Carmen ;)

Sorry for so much off topic!

How is it off-topic when it's part of our yearnings for a season program from favorite skaters? (Thanks for the Finnish lesson, by the way. Such a gorgeous language, and there aren't many opportunities to learn about it outside of Finland.)

I agree that Sibelius's music is incredibly rich with possibilities, partly because of his rhythmic variety.

One more music statement before I return to the matter at hand: don't you wish this Respighi piece, "The Birth of Venus" from his Botticelli Triptych, could be a short program for some lyrical skater, such as Lepisto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQ9ONMsxd8&feature=related

Now back to Korpi: I love the idea that David Wilson is going to choreograph for her. He knows how to use music and also how to use the CoP. To find someone who can give extra dimension to music while fitting a skater's moves into the constraints of the Code is rare and delightful. Between him and Lori Nichol, I don't mind the Code so much, because I can still see a lot of what brought me to skating in the first place.

miss.coiza

Rinkside

I will love to see Amanda Dobbs in her new short program ! Seems that fits her.
I think she will do great :)

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

Did you seen Drobiazko and Varnagas performing to Valse Triste? I guess 1999. It was so beautiful and touching.

really? wow, off to watch! I love those two! they were the most robbed skaters in history!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

Ladies and Gentelmen, these are Ashley Wagner's choices, and let me add...this girl is special.

SP: Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" performed by the London Philharmonic
FS: "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona

uh-uh. now tell me, how cool is this Led Zeppelin's song for skating??? and for sure, the only girl who can do it justice is Ashley!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Ladies and Gentelmen, these are Ashley Wagner's choices, and let me add...this girl is special.

SP: Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" performed by the London Philharmonic
FS: "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona

uh-uh. now tell me, how cool is this Led Zeppelin's song for skating??? and for sure, the only girl who can do it justice is Ashley!!

Love Kashmir for her. Love it. Way to go with that. But Mallaguena? It won't be bad per se, but there have been so many good Malaguenas (and a few bad ones) that I would rather her pass on something that has been done so much. She does have the fire and the spirit to pull it off though. I can't wait to see her dresses.

LeCygne

Final Flight

Haha Kashmir should be great! I'm excited. I wonder about Malaguena because it's usually used as a firey short program. It'll be interesting to see if she'll have to up that spirit throughout or if it can be brought down a notch for the middle sections..

R.D.

Record Breaker

Haha Kashmir should be great! I'm excited. I wonder about Malaguena because it's usually used as a firey short program. It'll be interesting to see if she'll have to up that spirit throughout or if it can be brought down a notch for the middle sections..

I always thought of Wagner as a bit of a feisty skater. I think it will work in her favor. Slow isn't her thing...

Last edited:

Jiarry

Rinkside

PT's FS music choice will be the same as Mao's

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

PJ Kwong reports that Crone/Poirier will skate their FD to Eleanor Rigby and that they will be choreographed by Chris Dean

And Pechalat and Bourzat will be doing a tango combined with a waltz for their SD. (Not at all crazy about this choice)

There are also some updates to the ladies and pairs music today.

Most notably
Qing Pang and Jian Tong CHN
SP Serenade by Chopin, choreographed by Lori Nichol
LP Dream of Love by Liszt, choreographed by David Wilson.

Last edited: