Is Anne P still skating to Swan Lake or has she changed music? | Golden Skate

Is Anne P still skating to Swan Lake or has she changed music?

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
I just thought with Sasha winning everything and having the same music that Anne might consider changing hers. I never think its a good ideal for two good skaters to have the same music especially if they are in the same competition and in the top 10.

Mistyeyed. The music is from the same score but the difference is huge. It is even more different than Sarah's Don Q and Irina's.

I see no reason for her to change her music now. Getting more consistent should be her goal, imo.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree Joe ... she just needs to land her jumps and skate the program well.

I have to admit I am a little concerned after her recent GP performance. It's a little scary that she supposedly under-rotated all her jumps. That's a major problem ... one I hope she can fix.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I have to admit I am a little concerned after her recent GP performance. It's a little scary that she supposedly under-rotated all her jumps. That's a major problem ... one I hope she can fix.

I'm assuming that she underrotated her jumps because of her leg injury. Apparently it happened before the LP, so I'm assuming that's the reason for the problems on the jumps...She may have had probems with her takeoff and wasn't able to get her usual height.

skatepixie

On the Ice
took the words right outa my mouth. I think it was the injury, and I hope she feels better soon.

Re: a music change..... I dont think it will happen. She should be focused on getting well...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AP was 2nd after the SP, and suffered the injury before the FS. It was strange to see her fall from 2nd to 6th. In past competitions, AP's pattern was to improve her position in the FS, or at least maintain it. For example, in last year's Skate America, she was 6th after the SP and finished 2nd in the FS for 2nd overall. At US Nationals '03, she was 6th after the SP and 4th in the FS to finish 4th overall. At 4 Continents, she was 4th in both segments.

nymkfan51

Medalist
BravesSkatefan and skatepixie ... I really hope that is the case ... I love AP and was hoping to see her move up this season.
Can't wait till Nationals!

MasterF

Rinkside
BAD TECHNIQUE

Aside from whatever injury she has, AP also has the nasty habit of dropping her rightside on all of her jumps. She sometimes gives the illusion of two-footing her jumps. If I was her I would change the music. There is going to be too much comparison to Sasha, especially by that Dick guy on TV. And we all know that Sasha is perfect and no one else.

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Please don't get me wrong people. I am NOT like this huge Sasha fan. I can not deny she is a lovely skater and when she nails her jumps she is really something but I always root for the underdog. I have been watching AP for several seasons and was much impressed with her last season. It is just when I realized that they had the same music and others at other boards were commenting that S/Lake is difficult to skate too and that AP does not have Sashas flair for ballet, besides comparing both girls costumes, that I thought perhaps she would change music. It does appear to be Sasha's year with the judges. HOWEVER, I know the season has barely begun and it would be good to see AP really make this an outstanding and memeorable SL number. I was sorry to hear she was hurt and perhaps that is why when she skated her number at the start of the season, I begin to worry just a tad. However, now that I know why she wasn't on then there is hope yet.

Mistyeyed - Swan Lake and all ballet music are EASY to skate to. The composers be it Tschaikowsky, DeLibe. Minkus, etc., write for the movement of the legs. It's called dance and figure skating is an offshoot of dance. A skater may have trouble with the rythym of the music but most skaters have a sense of musicality. Tschaikowsky hated to be told what to compose - 8 bars of this; 4 bars of that, etc. Everything was composed for the sake of movement. It's to his credit that he was able to compose such a dynamic piece but he did need the money.

How one interprets Swan Lake may be what you mean and that is an individual thing.

Opera music, on the other hand, is written for the voice, not the legs. One has to adopt those moments in opera that are skateable. It's easy to understand how a skater would avoid Wagner yet S&P did the impossible - a beautiful Trisan and Isolde.

Joe

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Okay Joe, so what do you think of how AP "interprets" her swan lake program? Do you think it can duel with Sasha's at this point?What I saw of AP SL was not presented well and did not have anything really to write home about. I loved AP MButterfly. Now that was truly lovely to behold. I just don't feel this piece suits her for some reason. I wanted to see her skate to a piece that seemed like her second skin, and this seems already to have become SC "signature" piece already this season but I hope AP surprises me on this score.

Mistyeyed - I've never really enjoyed any skater's Swan Lake except Sasha's but they continue to use it almost as much as Carmen. The following are just my opinions:

Oksana's - Too cute for words.
Fumie's - Too intense.
AP's - lacks interpretation
Sasha's - excellent. She doesn't try to be a swan but to take the essence of that bravura music which she uses and which is great for her style of skating. I think TT knew this and used the 3rd act of SL as most of Sasha's program which few other skaters have used.

One of my main qualms for figure skaters who are still in their teen years is that they are limited in their feelings to actually express a complex story. AP, imo, does not have that yet but I can wait. I like her.

As for calling SL, Sasha's signature piece, you may get a few retortes from Oksana fans.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
She doesn't try to be a swan
well Joe I don't know if I would say that. She does flap her arms a few times during her program. But despite that, it is a lovely program, although I did like her Rachmaninoff better.

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Yes, that was the best decision that Sasha and company have made, signing on with the Russian Coach. She is one smart lady that TT.