patrick chan article | Golden Skate

patrick chan article

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_buffery/2010/06/11/14361086.html
Toronto figure skater Patrick Chan has been holding something inside for a long time and has finally decided to let the cat out of the bag.

The truth is ... he wishes he was a professional golfer.

Sure, figure skating is great and it pays the bills and some day may take him to the top of the world, but the older he gets, the longer he skates, the more he wishes he could spend his days strolling on the grass instead of landing on his *** practicing the quad.

“Sometimes I ask my mom why she didn’t put me in golf,” Chan said. “And she said that I couldn’t take the heat. I don’t like being in hot climates. Apparently, I used to whine a lot that it was too hot.”

Chan, 19, has golfed since he was a kid, but switched to skating in a more serious way when it became apparent he had a gift on the ice. Still, there are times when he wishes golf was his livelihood and skating was just a hobby.

“Skating is tough. It’s always indoors, inside walls, brick walls, and always cold and kind of depressing,” he said.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if he despises it as much as the interviews he always gives suggests, why doesn't he just give it up and pursue other things? who's got the gun to his head to make him continue?

Layfan

Record Breaker
if he despises it as much as the interviews he always gives suggests, why doesn't he just give it up and pursue other things? who's got the gun to his head to make him continue?

Oh, I don't think that's what he means... everyone sometimes wonders what their life would be like if they had chosen a completely different career. I like my job and all but I wonder that at least twice a day...

Who was he talking about when he's mentioning taking weekends off, though? Was he using the royal we or something?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have no problem with a young man who wants a few hours on the weekends for free time, after all the guy needs some relaxing time in order to perform well. But I do wonder about Patrick's longevity in the sport. He does seem to hav other life goals (college, business, golf) and I just wonder how long skating will be > those other achivements for him.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I have no problem with a young man who wants a few hours on the weekends for free time, after all the guy needs some relaxing time in order to perform well. But I do wonder about Patrick's longevity in the sport. He does seem to hav other life goals (college, business, golf) and I just wonder how long skating will be > those other achivements for him.

Well I certainly don't have a problem with it ... I was just wondering about the "we" business. :scratch:

Kypma

Final Flight
Well I certainly don't have a problem with it ... I was just wondering about the "we" business. :scratch:

I think he likely means his coaches / team and him... after all, he doesn't train alone. Or it may be (combined with) a grammar glitch when you look at the whole sentence, like he had 2 different thoughts and they didn't connect quite right, pronoun-wise. The whole team takes weekends off but he uses that time to golf? Just my 2 cents.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was surprised by the use of the word "***." maybe that is just me. but i saw the protocalls from the canadian nationals and the only canadian senior man doing a quad is kevin reynolds!!! he is literally the only one so i will hold my breath on chan doing a quad and not worry about him falling on his "***" on one in competiton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
He attempted one at Liberty (fall) and the new rules give more credit to the quad. If he wants to stay competitive, he'll need it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think he likely means his coaches / team and him... after all, he doesn't train alone. Or it may be (combined with) a grammar glitch when you look at the whole sentence, like he had 2 different thoughts and they didn't connect quite right, pronoun-wise. The whole team takes weekends off but he uses that time to golf? Just my 2 cents.

Probably.

Anyway, so interesting to hear he will try the quad this season and I agree with the new rules he needs it to say competitive. Takahashi certainly showed he will keep going for that quad.

I really hope Patrick can pull it off. The rest of his skating is so wonderful. It would be a pity for that one element to hold him back.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh, I don't think that's what he means... everyone sometimes wonders what their life would be like if they had chosen a completely different career. I like my job and all but I wonder that at least twice a day...

Who was he talking about when he's mentioning taking weekends off, though? Was he using the royal we or something?

I get that everyone needs other hobbies and wonders what if. But the last year or so he's been very down on the sport he's chosen to be a part of. If it's really that depressing for him he should look into other pursuits, he's young enough that he's not totally strapped into this life.

aurora100

Final Flight
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_buffery/2010/06/11/14361086.html
Toronto figure skater Patrick Chan has been holding something inside for a long time and has finally decided to let the cat out of the bag.

The truth is ... he wishes he was a professional golfer.

Sure, figure skating is great and it pays the bills and some day may take him to the top of the world, but the older he gets, the longer he skates, the more he wishes he could spend his days strolling on the grass instead of landing on his *** practicing the quad.

“Sometimes I ask my mom why she didn’t put me in golf,” Chan said. “And she said that I couldn’t take the heat. I don’t like being in hot climates. Apparently, I used to whine a lot that it was too hot.”

Chan, 19, has golfed since he was a kid, but switched to skating in a more serious way when it became apparent he had a gift on the ice. Still, there are times when he wishes golf was his livelihood and skating was just a hobby.

“Skating is tough. It’s always indoors, inside walls, brick walls, and always cold and kind of depressing,” he said.

Being a recreational golf nut who loves watching figure skating, I am sure Patrick will be glad later on in life that he does not golf for living. I would hate golf to be my work....it's too good of a game to do it for work. :)