Why the Communication 1023 now? | Golden Skate

Why the Communication 1023 now?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Accompanied with the assignment lists on ISU site was the Communication 1023.
What is the aim of this??

Is this to force Yuna not to withdraw from the assigned GPs ??

What jumped into my eyes is this:

Communication No. 1023

... If without valid reason the skater(s) is unable or unwilling to compete, Rule 125, para. 4 will apply. (Exclusion from ISU Events, International Competitions, Olympic Winter Games and exhibitions).
Champions and medal winners and skater(s) placed 4-10 in any ISU Championships must give priority to events of the subsequent season for which the ISU has contractual arrangements, particularly with television. (Rule 136, para. 6).
In case of violation of this Rule, sanctions may be imposed on both the Members and the skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Accompanied with the assignment lists on ISU site was the Communication 1023.
What is the aim of this??

Is this to force Yuna not to withdraw from the assigned GPs ??

What jumped into my eyes is this:

When did Yuna ever withdraw from GP events :think:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
very interesting... i was wondering why they had attached something that was outdated... hmm..

sorcerer

Final Flight
When did Yuna ever withdraw from GP events :think:
Never before.
However what would be in question (...for ISU that is...) is that the KSU entered (sent) Yuna's name for the GP selection list, while at the same time she is reported through the media that she is still thinking of how she would participate in the competitions this season. All she is sure of is that she is not retiring, if the information I get online is correct.

ISU might have thought, in their own way, that they could avoid friction they experienced at the occasion of last 4CC though "communication" like this. Of course this is just my vague and unsure guess.

I would partly understand the ISU's need to emphasize the authority of the "seeding" system which is to equalize the attractiveness of each GP as much as possible.
But at the same time I don't understand this showing off of penalty possibilities.
Penalties should be defined beforehand in detail IMO, or else it will most likely be taken like bully-ish threat.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Never before.
However what would be in question (...for ISU that is...) is that the KSU entered (sent) Yuna's name for the GP selection list, while at the same time she is reported through the media that she is still thinking of how she would participate in the competitions this season. All she is sure of is that she is not retiring, if the information I get online is correct.

ISU might have thought, in their own way, that they could avoid friction they experienced at the occasion of last 4CC though "communication" like this. Of course this is just my vague and unsure guess.

I would partly understand the ISU's need to emphasize the authority of the "seeding" system which is to equalize the attractiveness of each GP as much as possible.
But at the same time I don't understand this showing off of penalty possibilities.
Penalties should be defined beforehand in detail IMO, or else it will most likely be taken like bully-ish threat.

Funny that the top four Ladies at US Natls all skipped 4CC last season and there wasn't a peep from $peedy. Rachael and Mirai skipped to prepare for the Olympics - same as Yuna did. Ashley and Sasha couldn't be bothered going to 4CC. :laugh:

Joannie also skipped 4CC to prepare for the Olympics.

Miki did not compete at 4CC either - for the same reasons as Yuna - but why was she left alone? After Yukari pulled out wasn't Miki next in line for Team Japan?

So what is up with I$U - do they want one set of rules for Yuna - and another set for all of the other skaters?

Last edited:
I don't think this is anything new. The ISU always issues vague grumblings and warnings about top skaters skipping events.

I believe the main point is, the ISU wants to guarantee to television people and potential sponsors that if they put up the money, the top draws will actually show up. The only time skaters get in trouble is if they fake an injury to get out of a Grand Prix event, but then miraculously recover and do a show or exhibition in the same week. :)

Last edited:
As far as I recall, the only time the ISU actually did anything was one year Plushenko skipped the Grand Prix altogether, then scheduled an exhibition skate at a show in St. Petersburg. The ISU put its foot down and the promoters of the St. Petersburg show had to settle for showing a tape of Plushenko skating.

Michelle Kwan skipped the Grand Prix a couple of times. In those days the December cheesefest was always scheduled for right after the Grand Prix final. Rain or shine, Michelle never missed a cheesefest (she was the show, and they could not have drawn sponsors or an audience without her). So that was OK to the ISU because the show was not held during the official Grand Prix season.

I guess the idea is, if you are injured from October to December first, but then recover on December 2, that's OK. :yes: The real reason is that the cheesefests pulled in a lot of money in those days -- I don't know whether any of it went directly to the ISU, but money for skating is good regardless.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the cheesefests were brought around because the ISU took over professional skating and killed it. you can bet a lot of money went into the ISU pockets at those things.

fairly4

Medalist
i don't think this is just for yu-na.
remember sasha was assigned two last year, pulled out during the gp serie skaters and teams have pulled out during the olympic year and before.
it is getting where you wonder who is going to pull out after they have been assigned.

i think if they let you know ahead of time, like michelle and joannie it is okay.why the advertining dollars aren't spent on them because they know they won't be there.
i don't mind the skaters missing as long as they let everyone know ahead of time.
IT seems after assigned while practicing they have injuries (real or not) but then they are able to show up at shows, tours , whatever skating during the injury and making money off the show for the appearance yet can't sum up the courage to due it during the competition.
Yes a lot of injury pull out is rea. My feeling is this - if you pull out of gp events than don't bother to skater in shows. sorry i know it is a bit mean, but it seems like here lately pulling out of gp events has become and event of itself.( take odds of who is pulling out).
unrelated are too tired for during the olympic year for worlds after they have skated in gp event which makes a total of 5-8 events skated in if skated in both gp events, euro/fc, nationals and finals . in stead of dropping the fc and euros during the olympic years, they should drop the gp series , why only 4 events totals, nationals, worlds, fc/euros and olympics, and determine skaters going to fc /euros can be determined by prior nationals, skating competitions during summer, and world ranksing.

seniorita

Record Breaker
As far as I recall, the only time the ISU actually did anything was one year Plushenko skipped the Grand Prix altogether, then scheduled an exhibition skate at a show in St. Petersburg. The ISU put its foot down and the promoters of the St. Petersburg show had to settle for showing a tape of Plushenko skating.

I never heard this version :think: My sources tell me it was 2004 and he got invited to skate to AOI in Budapest, according to him RF allowed him to, but ISU said no because he had done only one Gp and that weekend it was scheduled either NHK or Skate Canada, so at the threat of eligibility at the end he apologized to audience and didnt skate. :hb:

I dont get why so many people like Plush, Kvdp or Johnny are on this Gp announcement, when it is pretty clear they wont compete next season. Once they would withdraw from event they wont be able to do anything skating wise or ISU will chase them down. Cant they keep eligibility but decide not to go to Gps, like Rochette?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Cant they keep eligibility but decide not to go to Gps, like Rochette?

they can, they just can't skate in a show or other event if they're scheduled for a GP and decide not to go. Rochette, I (and others) feel, may be waiting to see if Scott Hamilton really will revitalize the professional skating competitive circuit and may jump ship and turn pro... I think there may be others looking for that to happen as well... who knows.

seniorita

Record Breaker
they can, they just can't skate in a show or other event if they're scheduled for a GP and decide not to go.
yeah I know, thats why I m wondering why they are there first place? Can a federation announce them without their will? I m 80% sure ab Weir and 100% for Plushy that they have expressed their intention for next season, and it is pretty obvious since they dont train anyway.
And Kvdp announced after Torino he would retire.
Couldnt they have put a TBA instead of their names?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I know, thats why I m wondering why they are there first place? Can a federation announce them without their will? I m 80% sure ab Weir and 100% for Plushy that they have expressed their intention for next season, and it is pretty obvious since they dont train anyway.
And Kvdp announced after Torino he would retire.
Couldnt they have put a TBA instead of their names?

It could be that the federation or the skaters have not officially declared it. in the case of Weir all I remember hearing out of his camp is that he was not skating at Worlds last season but that he intended to skate this season - it's been speculation since then whether or not he will (if he does it'll be more of the same and I'm so over it lol).

KVDP may have decided, once again, to stick it out.

sorcerer

Final Flight
If it's the same as last year, the "Confirmation of Participation" is somewhere around August 15th.
So there's another deadline to make up one's mind, I suppose.

In any case, seeded skaters can't reduce his/her assignment to only one, even for medical reasons, that's what the documents say ..... (It doesn't sound executed as such though ... but my memory may be bad.)

cosmos

On the Ice
This isn't just for YuNa, but maybe mostly for YuNa. The contract between SBS and ISU ended last March. If YuNa's competeing at GPs is not guaranteed, SBS (or other Korean TV stations) would hesitate to pay big money.

fairly4

Medalist
as people have stated before, this has been going on since it started. I think now they just want to add some teeth to it. Don't state your going to be there at that grand prix event unless you are really sure ; you as a skater is ready and able to compete both physically and mentally.
or pull out before the official cut off date ; which is what august.
because we have been losing some money marketing you as a skater/team and then you pull out . we lose something in the process.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If a skater withdraws at the last minute, would the ISU already have the money in their pocket?