Plushenko loses eligibility | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko loses eligibility

gmyers

Record Breaker
Re: Evgeni has lost his eligibility.

Rules are rules but the ISU totally went after to Plushenko to destroy him!

seniorita

Record Breaker

I'm glad you're okay with it, though, Seniorita. I thought we'd have to pick you up off the floor.
lol, no I dont think that way in general. Plus I didnt think Plush should continue competitive skating, I m not really surprised to what happened but the way it happened, but people make it worse. Anyway, as I read he has 20 days to appeal to change the decision but i dont see the point.

lcd

Match Penalty

Would not surprise me in the least if the whole thing weren't yet another publicity seeking opportunity to "test" his importance in the eyes of the skating powers that be. The "appeal" opportunity helps keep him in the "spot light" as well. How nice for him.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight

While I'm not a fan this seems like a silly reason for someone to lose their eligibility.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

I am still not totally clear on all the details. But there were other eligible skaters there who did not show up for Worlds. Of course, skaters who did not make their World teams broke no rules. But Johnny made the U.S. World team. Has he also broken some rule?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I am still not totally clear on all the details. But there were other eligible skaters there who did not show up for Worlds. Of course, skaters who did not make their World teams broke no rules. But Johnny made the U.S. World team. Has he also broken some rule?

not if he had the blessing of his federation, apparently. and, honestly, I don't see him coming back to competition so it'd be a moot point.

heyang

Record Breaker

Johnny informed the USFSA that he would not be skating at World's. During World's, he did not skate in another event - he actually acted as post-commentator and did a really good job IMO.

It seems that Plushenko did not provide the appropriate notification to the Russian skating federation, which I think he c o uld've gotten away with. However, he then skated at events that occurred during the time period when he should've been preparing and/or competing at World's. If he claimed to be too injured to compete at World's, why did he then skate at these other events?

All of the federations have questioned skaters who withdraw from significant competitions due to injury and who then skate at events while injured. The understanding of the federations is that the skater can't skate enough to train for and/or compete at the contest. Yet, they then get paid to skate in a non-compete event and ask for a 'by'. Nicole Bobek asked for a medical 'by' one year and thought she would get it based upon her previous placements at Nationals - however, she skated at Nutcracker on Ice for money when she was 'injured'. So, she was not given a place on the World team.

Since then, the punishments have become stricter. I do understand it. The federations need to make money and their biggest draw is their well-known skaters. They can't force a skater to compete, but they can make it harder for the skater to not make ISU competitons a priority over shows. Personally, I don't have a problem with the ISU saying that the skaters lose their eligibility if the skate a non-sanctioned even when a sanctioned event is occurring and they don't get approval. The ISU competitions made the skater famous - it's unlikely that the skater would have recogniton without having competed successfully at an ISU competition.

Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen went to great efforts to maintain their eligibility by following the well-known rules... Plushenko should be held to the same rules.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I saw the translation of the Russian skating federations press release on the official message board of Plushenko and they said the ISU did not believe Plushenkos withdrawl due to health reasons and they said the paperwork had inconsistencies. He could not get permission from the Russian Federation to skate because of the ISUs investigation and worlds was already over and there was nothing to gain by not skating in the shows but a great deal to lose! I have no idea if the ISU investigation into Plushenko is still going on! It probably isn't because he's already been banned for life because of the skating without permission.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen went to great efforts to maintain their eligibility by following the well-known rules... Plushenko should be held to the same rules.

Presuming he cared. He knows the state of his own health and maybe he knows it's hugely unlikely for him to actually compete effectively in Sochi. What would the point be of going and ending up in eighth (or whatever). That said, I'd like to believe that it's Machiavellian intent from the ISU (way of asserting authority with very little backlash/loss). And hell, I'm betting that if Plushenko really wants to return for the 2013/2014 season, they'll figure out a way to let him.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Plushy has been to three Olympics with three medals to show for it. I think it is time for him to move entirely to the professional ranks to continue skating. For me, his sour grapes reaction to losing the Gold Medal in Vancouver and then belittling the winner by inferring Lysacek's win without a quad was nothing more than a woman's program. What an ***! I lost all respect for him even though he had been great for the sport up till then. Now I just want him to disappear! Buh bye!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Rules are rules but the ISU totally went after to Plushenko to destroy him!

If a skater wants to stay ISU eligible, he has to bend to the ISU rules, it is as simple as that! You cannot seriously expect Plushenko to be some exception to those ISU rules. ISU did not go after Plushenko to destroy him :laugh:, Plushenko totally did it himself :biggrin: by not handling according to the ISU rules. Another matter is whether he was seeking for this outcome deliberately, perhaps?

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Presuming he cared. He knows the state of his own health and maybe he knows it's hugely unlikely for him to actually compete effectively in Sochi. What would the point be of going and ending up in eighth (or whatever).

I agree with this. Plushenko knows that age and the condition of his legs/knees are working against him, as far as competitive skating goes. IMO, after getting through these Olympics and seeing the lay of the land, he decided that holding out until Sochi was a worthless endeavour, and he has no real reason to enter any other ISU competitions in the interim--what would be the point? He's been there, done that, bought all the T-shirts. In his shoes, I'd be moving on with my professional career and not losing any sleep over the howling of the ISU or for that matter, the Russian Fed.

seniorita

Record Breaker

Plushenko totally did it himself :biggrin: by not handling according to the ISU rules. Another matter is whether he was seeking for this outcome deliberately, perhaps?

Can someone find me the rules for all the violations? So we have learnt for drinking situation ban is for one year, for driving not carefully ban is for one year, but for going to a show ban is for life. What is the ban for doping? Going to the center of the Red Square and drop the athlete from the roof of the Happy Church?
In their announcement ISU says according to evidence, but they dont say what evidence.

However, he then skated at events that occurred during the time period when he should've been preparing and/or competing at World's.
Plushenko withdrew from Worlds at 18 of March and skated at KOI on 30-31, he didnt skate during Worlds, the show was after.

brownfox

On the Ice

I know this sounds crazy and probably stupid but why can they let the pros and amateurs competing against each other?? Yeah, I know..if FIBA allowed the NBA players to participate at the Olympics, why can ISU make an exception? This sport is dying, it would have been cool to see Kwan, Lipinski etc. competing against Yuna, Mao, Mirai, etc. Of course it will depend if they can walk and healthy...

76olympics

On the Ice

This isn't a tragic outcome, IMHO. Plushenko already has all of the medals and I think his professional earnings in Russia/Europe will probably be more reliable than most. I'll admit that I was never fond of his skating though he was a great jumper at his best. I do think his behavior in Vancouver and post-Olympics was childish and made me think less of him. The silver medal was a solid accomplishment given his comeback and the complete package he brought and there are a lot of skaters who would be happy forever with that result. I have the same feeling about how Fratianne and Sumners have acted about it. And in Plushenko's case, he already has a gold medal Olympic win that nobody disputes.

Plus, as Jaana says, he knew the rules. He is no newcomer.

sillylionlove

Medalist

So he withdrew from worlds because he was injured and then skated in show instead to make some money? I get the making money part...but if he was so injured that he could not skate at worlds then how was he able to skate in shows? I get the point of the ISU. It does say that he has 20 days to appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport. Let's see if he does that. I guess my gripe is that he knew the rules yet seem to break them. While I have never been a fan of Plushenko, my biggest problem with him is that he has a really big ego and sometimes comes off a little conceited.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Can someone find me the rules for all the violations? So we have learnt for drinking situation ban is for one year, for driving not carefully ban is for one year, but for going to a show ban is for life. What is the ban for doping? Going to the center of the Red Square and drop the athlete from the roof of the Happy Church?
In their announcement ISU says according to evidence, but they dont say what evidence.

The ISU did not ban those skaters, their federations did. Just like Tonya Harding was not banned for life from competition by the ISU, just USFSA events (and since she was a skater in the US that pretty much meant she couldn't enter ISU events because she was no longer allowed to skate for the US).

Mafke

Medalist

My best guess is that he's on the outs with the Russian fed. The communique specifically mentions that his fed didn't approve his participation in said shows.

The only reason I can imagine them not giving their blessing is the Russian fed (and by 'Russian fed' I mean Piseev) is upset with him. I thought I read that he had supported Sikharulidze instead of Piseev's stooge so that could be part of it, Piseev certainly seems to be the kind to hold a grudge.....

seniorita

Record Breaker

Anyway since Evgeni's character is not the topic, some things on topic:
Some comments from other Russian officials or skaters including Gorshkov, Pissiev said he cant comment cause he is abroad.

And from Russian Commission on Sports Law Association of Lawyers (have no idea what exactly is this, it is from google)

Head of "Russian Commission on Sports Law Association of Lawyers", Sergei Alexeyev believes that in the case of dismissal Evgeni Plushenko of competitions under the auspices of the ISU there are personal reasons. According to lawyers, the Russian Federation of figure skating (FFKKR) intentionally failed to provide the International Skating Union (ISU) letter dated March 22, 2010, in which Valentin Piseev resolved Evgeny Plushenko to participate in the show "Kings of ice."