Liberty competition July 13 to July 17 | Golden Skate

Liberty competition July 13 to July 17

sillylionlove

Medalist
Has anyone ever gone to this competition in Pennsylvania? I wanted to know some more details about it. How do I know how's competing in it. Any info would be helpful.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Liberty competition

Doris goes most years she and her hubby video the skaters and share them with us.

Keegan Messing normally attends - and is doing so this year, as far as I've heard - so if you go cheer loud for him for me! :laugh:

http://www.libertyskating.org/

today is the last day for skaters to register, so they don't have a set schedule or roster yet.

mskater93

Record Breaker

There is a way when signing up for Liberty to see who from which coaches are going, but you have to sign up. Typically you check the Liberty website for schedule a couple weeks before hand and they may (or may not) have a roster of skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

We probably will be unable to make it this year. We have too many guests this summer.

However:
1. make reservations for a hotel early. Aston near the Ice Works is not a center of tourism. There is an OK diner. That's about it. The Microtel in Westchester (about 15 miles from Aston) was very new and nice, and the Holiday Inn Express in Concordville was more expensive, and we did not like it as well (10 miles from Aston).
2. It costs nothing to attend. Buy the program. It's the only way you can guess who'll be their, other than getting hints from Sylvia. As Toni says, the roster is very fluid. Even the program will not be correct. The Juniors and Seniors are mostly in Rink2. The monitoring sessions are in the Rink next door.
3. The rink food is good, relatively varied, and reasonably priced.
4. If you search on line for gloryday and Liberty on youtube, you can see some of Ski's vids over the years. (Last year our camera died, so some of the films aren't great)
5. USFS did monitoring at Liberty last year. Some of the skaters will perform for their monitoring session at times when you can watch (we watched Adam Rippon's last year!).

sillylionlove

Medalist

Thanks for the info. I live about 30 or 40 minutes away and was just thinking of going for one day since that's about the only time I can off from work. I heard that it's pretty fun to go to.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

oh doris i am so bummed to hear you arent going :( I always look forward to your reports and the vids!

Sylvia

Record Breaker

Has anyone ever gone to this competition in Pennsylvania? I wanted to know some more details about it. How do I know how's competing in it. Any info would be helpful.
Here's the preliminary schedule for Friday on the main rink (Rink 2):
12:20 PM 1:55 PM Senior Ladies Short Program Group A
2:10 PM 3:45 PM Senior Ladies Short Program Group B
4:00 PM 6:15 PM Senior Men Short Program
6:30 PM 7:15 PM Novice Pairs Freeskate
7:30 PM 8:30 PM Junior Pairs Freeskate
8:45 PM 10:00 PM Senior Pairs Freeskate

Here's the preliminary schedule for Saturday on the main rink:
9:15 AM 10:45 AM Senior Ladies Free Skate Group A
11:00 AM 12:25 PM Senior Ladies Free Skate Group B
12:40 PM 2:50 PM Senior Men Free Skate
3:05 PM 5:10 PM Junior Ladies Free Final
5:25 PM 6:45 PM Junior Men Free Final

Very sorry to hear that you and Mr. Ski might be unable to come this year, Doris. :(

ETA some of the notable skaters that have registered to compete (just be aware that there can be withdrawals at these summer comps)...

Skaters assigned to the Senior Grand Prix:
Patrick Chan (scheduled to debut his new SP here), Ashley Wagner (SP only), Agnes Zawadzki, Steven Carriere, Ross Miner, Viktor Pfeifer (AUT; SP only), Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir and Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller (pairs).

JGP-eligible, competing Senior: Keegan Messing, Joshua Farris, Samantha Cesario, Yasmin Siraj, Felicia Zhang...

Senior B-eligible: Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Jason Wong, Melissa Bulanhagui, Zhang/Toth, Tamar Katz (ISR), Tommy Steenberg, Parker Pennington, Alex Johnson, Smith/Bartholomay, Aaron/Cohen...

JGP-eligible, competing Junior: Max Aaron, Nina Jiang, Angela Wang, McKinzie Daniels, Alex Zahradnicek, Garza/Frazier, Duarte/Grafton, Oltmanns/Santillan, and Sowa/Leenen (pairs)...

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

We finally got to attend this last year (usually we've been on vacation in mid July). What a great experience! It helps that we live only 45 minutes away. If you can go, go for it, sillylionlove! In addition to seeing Keegan, Armin M., Jonathan Cassar, Kristine Musademba, Ross Miner, Angela Maxwell, Patrick Chan, Amanda & Mark, we finally got to meet Brian Orser (a dream of mine!) :love: up close & personal. Adam Rippon wasn't there to compete, but he was being monitored, and it was a joy to watch him skate for about a half hour. Got to talk to Paul Wylie and Naomi Lang (in Naomi's case, this was just a few days before she & her family moved out to Arizona) too! We attended the Friday & Saturday part. I'm hoping that we can also make it for some of the other days leading up to that. Our kitchen calendar is marked for the Liberty Competition from July 13-17, and hope to bring a friend of ours with us (a friend who joins us every year for SOI). Bring it on! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I am sooooooo jealous!

oh well, in a month I get to see Melissa and Denis skate in FAIRBANKS! :love: guess I can't whine too much!

MelissaG

Rinkside

My family and I are planning on attending this competition (it would be a first for us). From what I read on this thread we don't need to buy tickets, so how it works? We just show up at the center during the competition times or do we need to have a membership to be able to get in? Sorry for the dumb questions but we live more than 4 hours away and I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding anything.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

First of all, your questions are not dumb! It's free! Last year we stayed overnight in the nearby part of Delaware, so you may want to check into hotels that are close by there. Since we live about 45 minutes away, and may be bringing a friend, I think we're going to go home in between each day that we can attend it. There are at least 3 rinks (maybe four), so some events are going on simultaneously. We just showed up on Friday afternoon last year, and stayed until the end of that evening's competition. The next morning the competition began fairly early (about 9 AM), and continued (with some breaks) until about 6 PM or something like that. Dress warm at the rink! IIRC, it was extremely hot outdoors last year, but we wore jeans, fleece tops, and covered shoes inside. We may have even brought a fleece blanket with us. It's a really neat opportunity to see programs for the upcoming season, and you may have a chance to talk to some of the skaters and coaches if you enjoy doing that (we really enjoy doing that). The bench seats are not the most comfortable, so if you have any seating pads, you may want to bring them along for some cushioning. Hope you decide to make the trip.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

It's a very busy event, because there are a huge number of skaters competing. There usually 2 separate groups of senior ladies , for example. Separate medals are even for every event, including Senior Ladies SP A, Senior Ladies SP B, and so forth. There are so many juniors 4 groups I think, that they compete in a qualifying round and then have a final round. And there are an untold number of novices, intermediates, juveniles, pre-juveniles, unranked skaters, and probably some others I forgot. There are 3 ranks, but the seniors and most of the juniors will be in

Here's the preliminary schedule. It will be the same in general as last year:
http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertyNews.html#preliminary

A list of hotels is on this page, and other details.
http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertySummer.html

The sr men's final is Saturday night. Patrick Chan, BTW, is the biggest name skater that I know will be competing, although he may not do both programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

thanks for the info you two! so wish they had something like this closer to me! youre all so lucky!

waxel

Final Flight

Interesting to see some of the names scheduled to compete ... kinda surprised they are staying in ... Parker Pennington for example.

MelissaG

Rinkside

Thanks so much for the responses. We'll be there Friday and Saturday. I am so excited, I can't wait!!!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I wish I was able to get there for this! I live in NJ so it would normally be easy for me to get there, but I'm the only one in my family that really cares about seeing all the different skaters and their development. And I don't have a car (plus, I'm in a summer research program in central NJ, which only adds more distance to get to the rink.) Looking forward to the reports!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

We will be able to make it to Liberty for at least part of Friday and part of Saturday!

champs

Final Flight

I hope everyone who goes and sees the comp will have a great time there.

It'd be nice if Liberty Open become considered as an ISU International B competition like some of the European summer competitions.