Liberty competition July 13 to July 17 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Liberty competition July 13 to July 17

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Re: Liberty competition

Based on these results and previous summer competitions, I would not assign Nina Jiang to the JGP - she could barely qualify to US Nationals with the scores she's been getting. However, I would definitely give one to Angela Wang, who proved herself here and at Broadmoor.

Don't the top 4 junior ladies from each group compete their FS again on Saturday? That is what the website seems to suggest. Nina has qualified, so maybe she will do better then, oftentimes people just try and get through qualifying rounds without giving it their all.

oleada

Record Breaker

I think Nina has already been assigned to a JGP event judging from her updated season notes for 2010-2011. One of her goals is to qualify for the JGPF so I take it to mean she has already been given an initial JGP assignment. Further, this is her 1st competition of the season, last season she was putting up SP scores in the 40s and 50s and FS scores in the 80s and 90s which is quite respectable for the JGP. I know she has grown a couple inches but I don't think the USFSA will choose to completely ignore her because of one lousy competition. I mean, Nina beat Yasmin at Gardenia and Yasmin is the junior silver medalist. Kiri had her fair share of meltdowns last season and was still sent to Junior Worlds because she had also had some very good results.

Yeah, but Kiri didn't even get an initial assignment. She earned it by doing well over the summer.

Actually, Nina competed at the Bluebonnet Open earlier this summer and scored 104.97 overall. In the SP + LP here, she didn't even crack 100 in the qualifying round; getting only 98.67. She might have done well at the end of last season, but right now there are many girls who are doing much better. (Wang, McKinzie Daniels and Vanessa Lam to name a few) and her scores don't justify sending her to a JGP assignment when other girls are currently doing a lot better. The point difference between Wang & skaters who placed a few spots below her wasn't huge anyway.

I guess I disagree with US Figure Skating in sending a skater who is not in good shape right now based on results from January. I personally would pay more attention to summer monitoring. Nina UR her 3Lo attempts at Bluebonnet, struggled with the 3T, 3F and 2A and didn't try the 3S. If she struggles again in the final round here, I wouldn't send her to the JGP if I were the USFS.

For what it's worth, this is what other ladies who are being considered for a JGP have scored:

149.76 Vanessa Lam (Hidden Valley Open)
148.79 McKinzie Daniels (Broadmoor)
147.85 Angela Wang (Liberty Open)
134.37 Gracie Gold (Broadmoor)
132.38 Angela Wang (Broadmoor)
*Yasmin Siraj, combining her SP from Liberty with her LP from Boston would score 131.81.

Wang, for example, scored almost as much as Nina did overall in her free skate alone. That speaks volumes. It isn't even close right now. The final round is left, but I wouldn't send Jiang if she doesn't do well again.

Anyway, I digress....Keegan! :) :)

feraina

Record Breaker

According to Sylvia.....Patrick landed his 4T!!!! :hb::party::party2:

I know. Isn't it awesome! :rock:
She also said he fell on the 3A though. :bang: He always said he's more comfortable with the 4T than the 3A. Maybe he will become the next Lambiel... except he'll land a few more 3A's.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Yeah, but Kiri didn't even get an initial assignment. She earned it by doing well over the summer.

Actually, Nina competed at the Bluebonnet Open earlier this summer and scored 104.97 overall. In the SP + LP here, she didn't even crack 100 in the qualifying round; getting only 98.67. She might have done well at the end of last season, but right now there are many girls who are doing much better. (Wang, McKinzie Daniels and Vanessa Lam to name a few) and her scores don't justify sending her to a JGP assignment when other girls are currently doing a lot better. The point difference between Wang & skaters who placed a few spots below her wasn't huge anyway.

I guess I disagree with US Figure Skating in sending a skater who is not in good shape right now based on results from January. I personally would pay more attention to summer monitoring. Nina UR her 3Lo attempts at Bluebonnet, struggled with the 3T, 3F and 2A and didn't try the 3S. If she struggles again in the final round here, I wouldn't send her to the JGP if I were the USFS.

For what it's worth, this is what other ladies who are being considered for a JGP have scored:

149.76 Vanessa Lam (Hidden Valley Open)
148.79 McKinzie Daniels (Broadmoor)
147.85 Angela Wang (Liberty Open)
134.37 Gracie Gold (Broadmoor)
132.38 Angela Wang (Broadmoor)
*Yasmin Siraj, combining her SP from Liberty with her LP from Boston would score 131.81.

Wang, for example, scored almost as much as Nina did overall in her free skate alone. That speaks volumes. It isn't even close right now. The final round is left, but I wouldn't send Jiang if she doesn't do well again.

Anyway, I digress....Keegan! :) :)

You have a fair point. It previous years the USFSA has relied a lot on nationals results to decide JGP assignments though. Like Lindsay Davis isn't particularly strong in singles but because she won bronze at nationals I would be surprised if she didn't get an initial JGP assignment even though several other girls are stronger technically than she is. Let's wait and see how Nina does in the final round FS. Further, I think the USFSA usually tends to assign girls who competed in junior and senior at nationals to the JGP before assigning girls who competed in novice at nationals. That being said, I really hope Kulgeyko gets an assignment, I love her skating!

One concerning thing about Nina for the future is her height, she only just turned 13 and is 5'3" already. She has long legs too, she might grow to be 5'6' or so and that will make things harder.

feraina

Record Breaker

One concerning thing about Nina for the future is her height, she only just turned 13 and is 5'3" already. She has long legs too, she might grow to be 5'6' or so and that will make things harder.

Nina didn't just gain height, she filled out into a more feminine body shape, too. She can pass for the same age as Caroline Zhang (just turned 17)! I'm Asian and I finished growing at 13 (I was 5'2 then, I'm 5'3 now; and I weigh the same). It might be good to get all the growth spurt out of the way early, then she can concentrate on improving her skating with her grown-up body. She's so young, it should be easier for her to adjust to her new body and keep improving than it would be for, say, Caroline, at 16/17. I still have high hopes for her.

If she can get used to her new body relatively quickly, like Anna Ocharova last year (she was also 13, totaled <120 at her first JGP, then did very well by the end of the season, even winning JW SP), then she could still do well this year.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Nina didn't just gain height, she filled out into a more feminine body shape, too. She can pass for the same age as Caroline Zhang (just turned 17)! I'm Asian and I finished growing at 13 (I was 5'2 then, I'm 5'3 now; and I weigh the same). It might be good to get all the growth spurt out of the way early, then she can concentrate on improving her skating with her grown-up body. She's so young, it should be easier for her to adjust to her new body and keep improving than it would be for, say, Caroline, at 16/17. I still have high hopes for her.

If she can get used to her new body relatively quickly, like Anna Ocharova last year (she was also 13, totaled <120 at her first JGP, then did very well by the end of the season, even winning JW SP), then she could still do well this year.

That's a good point. There are pictures of Nina and Mirai at nationals and they are very much the same size. Also, Anna Ovcharova is sort of the same way, she is also very young but even last season at 13 even though she was thin she had some curves and was more muscular and feminine looking than her teammates like Shelepen, Agafonova, Liza who are still all built like little boys. And she did improve a lot last season and judging from the looks of Anna now, she may be pretty much done with her growing. Nina may be the same way and if she doesn't change much physically from this point on, she may be able to have more steady progress than some other girls and be able to reestablish herself at the top. I mean, Christina Gao was 13th at regionals when she was Nina's age, I think Nina still has plenty of time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Ashley tweeted this afternoon that she did not get hit with an edge call on her lutz for teh first time, she's seemed very happy with that news and said that "hard work paid off!" Congrats to her!

champs

Final Flight

Ashley tweeted this afternoon that she did not get hit with an edge call on her lutz for teh first time, she's seemed very happy with that news and said that "hard work paid off!" Congrats to her!

Thanks for the quote, and yay! I've been anxiously waiting ever since she wrote she had fixed it at the end of last season. I guess receiving no edge call in one local competition doesn't necessarily imply the same thing will keep happening to her the rest of the season, but still, she must know which side of the blade she took off on at the very moment of the lutz takeoff and she must be feeling great! Keep it up Ashley!

ETA: Thanks Sylvia, as always, for your pbps on twitter and also for the unseen forum, always so informative!

ETA: I noticed Ice Network had posted an article on the Senior ladies' SP:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100716&content_id=12285382&vkey=ice_news
Ashley and Ms. Hill overhauled her lutz technique from scratch so it says. Something I'm hoping Caroline and Mao have been doing as well...

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ashley was awesome! I was also very impressed with Samantha Cesario (beautiful presentation), Joelle Forte (no surprise there), Melissa Bulanghagui (seen her many times at UDEL), and Felicia Zhang (who also does pairs with Taylor Toth (their "Miss Saigon" music stopped for a few minutes, but it was worth the wait to see them finish it).

For the men - Patrick was wonderful, even with a boot lace problem at the end. Ditto for Armin M. and Keegan. I really like Steven Carriere (always have). He looked so different. I almost didn't recognize him. Alexander Johnson was very enjoyable too. Ross Miner didn't skate his SP.I hope he's OK, and I wonder if he'll do his free skate this afternoon. Viktor Pfeiffer (Austria) is healing from a shoulder injury. I would have liked to see him again, as we enjoyed him very much at last year's Liberty Competition. I'm doing this from memory, and hope I didn't leave anyone out!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Thanks for all reports from Liberty :thumbsup: Seems like a great event for skaters on all levels. Some videos to come?

I am so happy for Ashley, my favorite US lady single skater. Love that she has worked hard fixing her lutz-edge problem :rock: :yay: How was her interpretation to the Led Zeppelin/Kashmir music?

Chan did the quad, wow ... :clap:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Samantha Cesario won the Senior Group B FS :clap:

Yay :)! I really like her, and apparently she landed a nice 3lo! I really hope she gets JGP assignments after this impressive skate, 99+ at the beginning of the season is a very good score!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Keegan Messing attempted a quad in the LP, he fell, but according to his interview after the SP by icenetwork he says he's landing them consistently in practice. good for him to be getting it out there NOW instead of waiting a few more years! :rock:

i love to skate

Medalist

Patrick attempted the quad in his long program too but fell. However, he did his 3A 3T for the first time ever in competition!!! :clap:

This sounds like it has been a great warm up competition for Patrick - landing two firsts in one event is great! I hope that ends the talk that he does not take "risks" or does not try difficult elements in his programs :p:think:

Can't wait to see videos!! :)

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Impressive skate by Angela Wang! 2A-3T, 3Lz-3T, 3F flip out, 3Lo, 3Lz off-bal.,
2A-2T turn (no 2Lo), 3S off-bal. In 1st 53.51/40.94 = 94.45. From God Sylvia's tweet
Just Wow! I knew she was great,but do not expect second 3T twice in a program,what a progress:)

It's not her program here,but may help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEfErZnSjo
2A-3T looks good,3Lz-3T clearly UR to me.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Impressive skate by Angela Wang! 2A-3T, 3Lz-3T, 3F flip out, 3Lo, 3Lz off-bal.,
2A-2T turn (no 2Lo), 3S off-bal. In 1st 53.51/40.94 = 94.45. From God Sylvia's tweet
Just Wow! I knew she was great,but do not expect second 3T twice in a program,what a progress:)

It's not her program here,but may help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEfErZnSjo
2A-3T looks good,3Lz-3T clearly UR to me.

Any word on how the other girls faired? Jiang? Dinh? Etc. I don't see scores...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I received it just now.
Jr Ladies FS Final unofficial 2-5 after Wang: Daniels 81.41, N Jiang, 75.43, H Dunne 4th 73.95, L Dinh 5th 72.74. Waiting for full results

Thanks! Glad to see Nina do better, for early in the season, not a bad score, last year lots of girls on the JGP had FS scores in the mid 70s and still finished pretty high (4th-10th ish) in the standings. Likely she will get better as the season progresses. The 58 from before kind of scared me, but now I think she will be fine.