GP "Comeback" skaters (??) | Golden Skate

GP "Comeback" skaters (??)

sorcerer

Final Flight
On page 3 of the new GP Announcement
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1904
it says as follows and this is something new:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently do not participate in one or more competitive seasons are allowed to re-enter the Grand Prix if they commit to participating in 2 Grand Prix events. A come-back under this clause is allowed only once for any skater. Subsequent to the come-back season, the skater will be considered only by his /her placement on the official lists (seeded or World Standing points, etc.). If the skater is no longer on the list, he/she will not be considered for a Grand Prix event.

I think this means that Sasha can't participate this year, since it was her resposibility to have not participated in the 2 GPs.

Who else will this new clause apply .... there may be 1 or 2 ?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This rule would apply to Joannie Rochette next season, should she choose to return to competition.

She has said she might compete at 2011 Canadian Nationals, but I would be surprised if she did.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded ........ and subsequently do not participate in one or more competitive seasons are allowed to re-enter the Grand Prix if they commit to participating in 2 Grand Prix events.

Here is where it gets a little vague. What does .... "do not participate in one or more competitive seasons" .... mean? If Joannie competes in the 2011 Canadian Nationals but does nothing else, has she participated in a season? Or does it need to be an ISU event?

sorcerer

Final Flight
I think this means that Sasha can't participate this year, since it was her resposibility to have not participated in the 2 GPs.

Wait, since Cohen is still eligible ISU-wise, if a host federation uses the following clause she has the possibility to be added into the TBA slots:

"In addition to the seeded skaters/couples, or “come-back” skaters/couples and the above-mentioned invited skaters/couples, each Organizing ISU Member may select additional skaters/couples in ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2010/11 accordance with selection procedures established by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Sasha could be invited to a GP event as a host pick because host picks are not subject to selection criteria. But since she never competed in the GP, GPF or an ISU Championship in 2009/10, she is not on the 2009/2010 Seasons Best list and would not be eligible for GP invitations even as a substitute. She couldn't be treated as a "comeback" skater because she already blew her 'one time only' opportunity.

If Rochette competes at 2011 Canadian Nationals and goes to 2011 Worlds, she would automatically be eligible for the GP because Worlds would put her on the 2010-2011 Seasons Best list. However, if she didn't compete at 2011 Worlds, she would still definitely qualify for the GP under the "comeback" rule as long as she committed to doing two GP events.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...and with so many "TBAs" on the map, goodness knows who's gonna show up. I think any skaters who wish to "return again" will at least get their country's GP event.

Funny that the ISU has just now decided to add in this clause, when it should have probably been in there from the get-go.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they added the rule because Sasha Cohen withdrew from both her GP events, and Plushenko did just CoR last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think they added the rule because Sasha Cohen withdrew from both her GP events, and Plushenko did just CoR last year.

Possibly, but still, I think this should have been foreseen. The ISU is (as usual) being reactive rather than proactive.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Perhaps, I do believe Sasha wanted to compete @ Skate America at the very least. It would have been beneficial for her get the "rust off", although even I wished she began her comeback in 2009. I don't think anyones body can endure the training stress in such a short period of time to get into "competetive" condition. Oh Well, she tried.....

sorcerer

Final Flight
But since she never competed in the GP, GPF or an ISU Championship in 2009/10, she is not on the 2009/2010 Seasons Best list and would not be eligible for GP invitations even as a substitute.
But still, Skate America can invite her to that 1 TBA slot, no? (Though I highly doubt it.)

ETA: Paragraphs d) and g) don't need the season's best record, do they?
(paragraph e) does, yes...)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All skaters must be on the Seasons Best list except host picks and now "comeback" skaters. Sasha cannot be a "comeback" skater but she could still be a host pick. However, I very much doubt that she wants to participate in the GP, and I don't think USFS would consider her for Skate America if she's not interested in returning to competitive skating.