What is a Link and What is an unsourced rumor | Golden Skate

What is a Link and What is an unsourced rumor

kyla2

Final Flight
dorispulaski, your logic is diificult to follow. Nothing posted on this site is true, if I follow your logic and your expectations of proof. I am sorry but your argument is full of holes. As for posting a link, I don't know how to do it, nor do I care to learn how to do it. Not on my list of things to do today. So what you consider a courtesy, I consider unnecessary especially when the information is out there in the general public. This information was not posted in the National Enquirer or any of the British rags, although in defense of the National Enquirer, they seem to be doing some pretty accurate reporting these days from what I hear. Having said all this, what I do consider a discourtesy is to have someone tell me I need to post a link to be courteous.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why proper sourcing is required on Golden Skate, and how to post a link.

To post a link: Copy the URL from the page you are interested in quoting.

Paste it into your post. That's all there is to it. Golden Skate does the rest of the work.

Why proper sourcing?

1. We are a news service. We require the cooperation of skaters, coaches, and federations to exist. If we do not respect their privacy, we will get no interviews.

2. We are responsible for what we allow to be printed. If it is inaccurate, we may be sued for libel. We are not a million dollar enterprise, and we cannot afford to defend a libel suit.

Consequently, unsourced rumors are not allowed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
dorispulaski, your logic is diificult to follow. Nothing posted on this site is true, if I follow your logic and your expectations of proof. I am sorry but your argument is full of holes. As for posting a link, I don't know how to do it, nor do I care to learn how to do it. Not on my list of things to do today. So what you consider a courtesy, I consider unnecessary especially when the information is out there in the general public. This information was not posted in the National Enquirer or any of the British rags, although in defense of the National Enquirer, they seem to be doing some pretty accurate reporting these days from what I hear. Having said all this, what I do consider a discourtesy is to have someone tell me I need to post a link to be courteous.

Please read my post above explaining the policy.

Please be aware, that just because you read something on Google, or just because your read something in a tabloid, or just because you read something in a slightly more respectable paper, doesn't mean it is true.

There are in fact, people like starsuckers out there who make up stories about celebrities and sell them to tabloids, entertainment magazines, and yes, more reputable journals. If a site, like GS, wants to avoid libel suits, we have to be able to at least check the sources of posts. If you say "go Google it", you would be making us guess which of several articles you used as a source. We are not mind readers.

And so we require a link, at the very least, to make a decision whether we want to leave up a rumor.

If you continue to post unsourced rumors, at best, your effort will be wasted, because your post will be unapproved. At worst, you may get a warning or an infraction.

We do this, not because we as moderators are being unreasonable, but because those are the site's Guidelines. The site guidelines are set by the site owner, not by the moderators, and I have posted those reasons above, but I will repeat them here:

1. We are a news service. We require the cooperation of skaters, coaches, and federations to exist. If we do not respect their privacy, we will get no interviews.

2. We are responsible for what we allow to be printed. If it is inaccurate, we may be sued for libel. We are not a million dollar enterprise, and we cannot afford to defend a libel suit.

And yes, sometimes "The Enquirer" or the British "The Sun" get it right. And sometimes they publish a story that says JFK was killed by aliens. Sometimes they are even forced to pay a huge libel suit because they said Liberace was gay. (Despite the fact that it was no secret to most people that Liberace was gay.)

And so we do not publish unsourced rumors.

Last edited: