Finlandia Trophy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Some impressions from men´s freeskate:

It was great to see Gachinski succeeding so well in his jumps, but regarding choreography his fs was not impressive at all. And where are the transitions??? Maybe Mishin believes that like with Plushenko he again can get away with a 6.0 skater in CoP competitions? Little Plushy also needs to do complete run-throughs of his fs in practices every day, in the end he looked really exhausted now.

I really loved the skating of Cassar and Hochstein, such a huge pleasure to watch!!! They became my favourites in this competition.

While watching the fs of Nurmenkari and Virtanen, I thought that maybe they both should retire and do something else...? Zubik (the third Finn) on the other hand, maybe with a lot of hard work he could amount to something one day.

Murakami was not at his best in the freeskate, but I really like his skating style.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ladies
1 Akiko SUZUKI JPN 166.57 2 1
2 Kiira KORPI FIN 164.02 1 2
3 Alena LEONOVA RUS 134.77 3 6
4 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS 132.13 5 3
5 Amanda DOBBS USA 131.36 6 4
6 Elena GLEBOVA EST 127.83 4 7
7 Sofia BIRYUKOVA RUS 124.32 9 5
8 Linnea MELLGREN SWE 116.47 7 9
9 Cecilia TÖRN FIN 116.31 8 8
10 Alisa MIKONSAARI FIN 98.16 10 10

Nadine

Record Breaker
I only managed to watch Jonathan Cassar's SP the other day, which I enjoyed tremendously, as he's been a favorite of mine since I saw him skate at Nationals this past January. :)

He did fine here, can't wait to watch his FS, hopefully sometime late tonight if I have enough time. Looking forward to it!

Btw, his spread eagle was one of the best ones I've ever seen in my life, the lean he gets on it was out of this world!!!!! Once he ups his technical ante he'll immediately challenge for a place on the podium, that's a fact.

Trewyn

Medalist
Yay! Akiko won!! Can't wait for that program to hit youtube! Seems Leonova is still her usual, unreliable self. Interesting to see Kiira is able to do really well two competitions in a row; hopefully she can carry some momentum into the grand prix! What happened to Ksenia?? I really thought she was going to spoil the more 'experienced' skater's party... Perhaps she'll reach her peak later in the season?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I only managed to watch Jonathan Cassar's SP the other day, which I enjoyed tremendously, as he's been a favorite of mine since I saw him skate at Nationals this past January. :)

He did fine here, can't wait to watch his FS, hopefully sometime late tonight if I have enough time. Looking forward to it!

Btw, his spread eagle was one of the best ones I've ever seen in my life, the lean he gets on it was out of this world!!!!! Once he ups his technical ante he'll immediately challenge for a place on the podium, that's a fact.

It does not seem very likely that Cassar is going to up his technical ante any time soon, as he was born in late 1986, making him just about 24. OTOH, he is currently coached by Frank Carroll. Perhaps some hope can be held out for him?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yay! Akiko won!! Can't wait for that program to hit youtube! Seems Leonova is still her usual, unreliable self. Interesting to see Kiira is able to do really well two competitions in a row; hopefully she can carry some momentum into the grand prix! What happened to Ksenia?? I really thought she was going to spoil the more 'experienced' skater's party... Perhaps she'll reach her peak later in the season?

Ksenia was injured earlier this summer so she may have lost some valuable training time. She also peaked later in the season last year.

reynycpr

On the Ice
Wow, Korpi looks much like Nicole in the opening pose. Funny thing Kiira is also skating to Evita. :) Both where stunning

LeCygne

Final Flight
Akiko is always so well-dressed! I love her costumes. And amazing program, she has such a great personality on the ice. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
It does not seem very likely that Cassar is going to up his technical ante any time soon, as he was born in late 1986, making him just about 24. OTOH, he is currently coached by Frank Carroll. Perhaps some hope can be held out for him?

Thanks, Doris, for that info. :) Lol, I never bothered to check his personal bio, which is unusual for me. I just figured he was a youngster new on the scene. This is one of the main reasons I like IN (though I do not particularly care for their customer service, huge understatement), rather it's because they show skaters I would never otherwise have been able to see on television alone.

Hmmm, I'm thinking Jonathan most likely skates because he loves to do it in the same vein as Tonia Kwiatkowski & Amber Corwin. However, in Jonathan's case I would suggest he immediately audition for The Ice Theatre of New York once he decides to retire (http://www.icetheatre.org/27.html). I love this repertory, and I think he would be a wonderful added bonus to their core stock. One day I hope to see his name on there by surprise when I open my latest newsletter from them. :)

For now, I will continue to enjoy his skating whenever I get the chance to, like here at The Finlandia Trophy Competition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZyVTkJeio)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JONATHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What happened to Amanda?

Nothing out of the ordinary really, she just made a few mistakes, fell on 3f in SP and LP and then only did 2 combos in the FS (no 3 jump combo). It's early in the season, I'm not too concerned. She doesn't have the highest base value so her scores actually aren't that surprising given the mistakes she had. I'm sure she'll be better in China. Her new SP is so lovely!

bestskate8

On the Ice
Congratulations Arthur! Looks like being Mishin's student is paying dividends for sure. First Lisa and now Arthur!