Johnny Weir Not Skating this season | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Not Skating this season

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not shocking but, figureskatersonline.com and the usfsa are reporting that Johnny has announced that he wont be competing in the coming skating season.

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Johnny announced he is taking the upcoming season off to reinvent himself as an athlete and artist. Wish him all the best. Its just my opinion but I don't think he will compete as an eligible again.

Mafke

Medalist
Hopefully he can find something with a surer return on investment....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny announced he is taking the upcoming season off to reinvent himself as an athlete and artist. Wish him all the best. Its just my opinion but I don't think he will compete as an eligible again.

i agree. I just dont see him coming back.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Perhaps a year "off" will do him good, to see if he still has the desire and will to continue toward 2014. It will be diificult to remain in elite athlete shape however.
Good luck to you Johnny. I have enjoyed your skating, I hope you find what you are looking for.

waxel

Final Flight
I thought that if Sundance picked his show up and wanted him to skate again, he might continue. Otherwise, as much as it pains me to say so, it might be time to move on. There are many more good things to come for Johnny Weir.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think he'll ever be back to amateur skating again, unless he pulls a Plushenko/Lambiel and comes back for Sochi.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As I have written several times before, it appears that very few skating careers end on a totally happy note. Regardless, I wish Johnny the best of luck and good fortune in all his future endeavors.
And if he wants to compete again, that would be great too. :)

As I have written several times before, it appears that very few skating careers end on a totally happy note. Regardless, I wish Johnny the best of luck and good fortune in all his future endeavors.
And if he wants to compete again, that would be great too. :)
Well, I'm not happy. I feel like there's something in Johnny just waiting to be brought out by a really great program. He's been working with inferior material lately IMHO (in his comp programs). He's been fighting the CoP system and even the judges for a while; that's not the sign of someone who's determined to succeed. I think his defeat in the Evan-Johnny wars has been hard to swallow.

But if he's able to do something interesting as a pro, then I'll be happy. All power to him! :yay: :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
i think it is johnnys attitude far more than his programs that hold him back. His natural/God-given talent shot him up the ladder where others had to work harder. Then he plateaued(seemingly) and the others (like Evan) kept working to catch him. Instead of focussing his energy at staying ahead of them johnny worked on his persona and other outside interests. Then when others beat him he blamed the big bad usfsa or judging system... Then thumbed his nose at both instead of working to prove them wrong.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's an incorrect analysis of Johnny's career.

Johnny hit a slump but then he absolutely focused on being competitive and worked hard during the 2007-2008 season. He went to Nationals, skated great, and was ROBBED.

He blames the judging system because it has sucked a lot of the artistry out of the sport and he is absolutely correct to make that criticism. He blames USFSA because they are full of conservative blowhards who have been prejudiced towards him, another valid criticism. Aside from the unfair marking at 2008 Nationals, they also didn't give him the benefit of the doubt in 2009 when he was recovering from sickness. He was the ONLY American to get a medal at the previous World Championships and he made the Grand Prix Final (and got a medal) that season. He shouldn't have had to compete at Nationals to secure his place on the World team.

But, instead, USFSA sent him the message that he would likely not get a bye if he didn't compete. They gave Belbin+Agosto a bye (who DIDN'T medal at the previous Worlds or at the GPF that season), however. As a result of not being allowed to compete at 2009 Worlds, Johnny lost a lot of momentum.

His 2009-2010 season should have been focused on upping the difficulty of his program, putting the Quad in and getting it consistent. Instead, he was worried about simply making the Olympic team. Perhaps he could have tried harder but, regardless, he was definitely not properly valued by USFSA.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's an incorrect analysis of Johnny's career.

Johnny hit a slump but then he absolutely focused on being competitive and worked hard during the 2007-2008 season. He went to Nationals, skated great, and was ROBBED.

He blames the judging system because it has sucked a lot of the artistry out of the sport and he is absolutely correct to make that criticism. He blames USFSA because they are full of conservative blowhards who have been prejudiced towards him, another valid criticism. Aside from the unfair marking at 2008 Nationals, they also didn't give him the benefit of the doubt in 2009 when he was recovering from sickness. He was the ONLY American to get a medal at the previous World Championships and he made the Grand Prix Final (and got a medal) that season. He shouldn't have had to compete at Nationals to secure his place on the World team.

But, instead, USFSA sent him the message that he would likely not get a bye if he didn't compete. They gave Belbin+Agosto a bye (who DIDN'T medal at the previous Worlds or at the GPF that season), however. As a result of not being allowed to compete at 2009 Worlds, Johnny lost a lot of momentum.

His 2009-2010 season should have been focused on upping the difficulty of his program, putting the Quad in and getting it consistent. Instead, he was worried about simply making the Olympic team. Perhaps he could have tried harder but, regardless, he was definitely not properly valued by USFSA.

Don't forget the big slap in the face by the judging panel at this year's Nationals in the SP putting a clean Weir behind Lysacek's flawed 3Axel. :disapp: I have to say though that once a skater makes the decision to participate in a competition, then his/her performances in said competition have to determine the skater's outcome, not past performances/successes. If Johnny wasn't ready to compete in 2009, then he should have withdrawn and petitioned for a World team spot the way that Belbin/Agosto did.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
If Johnny wasn't ready to compete in 2009, then he should have withdrawn and petitioned for a World team spot the way that Belbin/Agosto did.

He couldn't. Insiders told him that he would be denied a spot on the team, unless the #3 skater at Nationals skated absolutely terrible.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He's been working with inferior material lately IMHO (in his comp programs).

Weir had David Wilson choreography in this season, which is considered to be excellent pointwise. His final freeskate programme did not resemble a Wilson choreography anymore... I think the reason is that Weir just is not capable of skating to a good CoP-programme including transitions, etc. Any skater who wants to place well, needs to perform to a good CoP programme (unless you are somebody with Plushenko´s achievements, LOL).

He's been fighting the CoP system and even the judges for a while; that's not the sign of someone who's determined to succeed. I think his defeat in the Evan-Johnny wars has been hard to swallow.

I can understand it well, that Weir´s defeat to Lysacek in every major international competition, where they both have competed, must have been hard to swallow. On the other hand it should have made Weir to work harder, IMO, but my impression is that he just gave up and started to blame CoP-system, judges, USFSA, etc.

To put it bluntly, it was really stupid that Weir decided to participate in that show in Korea just before 2009 US Nationals and got sick.... I can fully understand, if he was not given any help in US Nationals because of that stupidity. If he had been well, he surely would have placed among top three. In my opinion it does not matter where you place in Nationals, as long you are among those who get sent to major competitions:

Lysacek was third in 2009 US Nationals, but he won the 2009 Worlds. In 2010 US Nationals Lysacek was second, but he won the Olympics. That´s how an ambitious athlete with self-discipline works things out...

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I just wonder what exactly the new season of "be good Johnny Weir"'will be like with no slating, no Russian coaches, no competitions etc. The life of a 26 year old going on 14 isn't exactly going to draw the ratings.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just wonder what exactly the new season of "be good Johnny Weir"'will be like with no slating, no Russian coaches, no competitions etc. The life of a 26 year old going on 14 isn't exactly going to draw the ratings.

:laugh: LOVE it, definitely what I came away thinking about him after watching his show. Why Coach Hill didn't drop kick him out the door is beyond me, his attitude toward her would be unacceptable.

Blades, I'm pretty sympathetic to your analysis and many times I think Johnny should have been given the win over Evan. I'm not arguing against the validity of his opinions. But a champion has to suck it up and win by the rules, whatever they are, no excuses. If Johnny can reinvent himself as a competitive skater, and I would love to think he has another year or two left in the tank (but Sochi??? no), he will have to focus on winning on the ice, not off it. Also, since I'm in a prescriptive mood, he may have to let go of his Russian mania and get the people who can help him win, whatever their nationality.

I wonder if the rule change increasing base value for the quad helped push him over the edge.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
The rule change had nothing to do with it. He was done competing regardless. The sport that Johnny fell in love with ceased to exist. The entire past 4 years has been Johnny competing in something that is just a bastardized version of what he signed up for.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am really not surprised by this announcement. I was surprised when the Grand Prix assignments were announced and he was listed. I don't think he will give up his eligibility but I don't think he will be competiting anymore either.

The rule change had nothing to do with it. He was done competing regardless. The sport that Johnny fell in love with ceased to exist. The entire past 4 years has been Johnny competing in something that is just a bastardized version of what he signed up for.
Does that mean you only enjoy watching skaters who competed before 2006? Takahashi, Mao, Mirai, Yu Na, Abbott, Chan, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir are all taking the sport in a terrible new direction? Not trying to start a fight but I want to understand since you're such an insightful poster.