Yu-na Kim speaks in support of Haiti | Golden Skate

Yu-na Kim speaks in support of Haiti

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
That's great!
Unicef did the best choice for the projekt.
Yuna looks like the queen and angel at once. So warm and humble, so lovely and graceful.
She got soon my support.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
She is a true winner and a great role model... and she is only 20 years old. I am so looking forward to what she will be able to accomplish for the next 10 years, both on and off the ice.

hermes72

Spectator
Yuna is a great role model for young generation around the world as well as a great ambassador for her sport. I am very proud of her..

sodessss

Rinkside
She donated big money and became an ambassador for UNICEF? It's not a bad deal. An anonymous contribution would be more appreciated but still I admire her a lot.

^ Unicef Goodwill Ambassadors do not get paid, or receive any other personal benefit for their service. They are mostly people from the entertainment industry who have an especial interest in children's welfare. Sometimes they take part in person in aid missions around the world and sometimes they make public service announcements like this one to encourage other people to get involved. In this way they accomplish a lot more for the U.N. Children's Fund than just by making a monitary contribution themselves.

Here is a list of the current International Ambassadors.

http://www.unicef.org/people/people_ambassadors_international.html

L

lowtherlore

She donated big money and became an ambassador for UNICEF? It's not a bad deal. An anonymous contribution would be more appreciated but still I admire her a lot.

Interesting view you have. Any other things that you admire her for that you think she might have earned by payment or donation?

csunny7

Rinkside
What an angel on & off the ice!
I'm so glad Yuna's inner beauty corresponds to her outer beauty.
That's another reason why her skating is absolutely beautiful, and she really deserves the title "Queen", the greatest of all time :)

Robeye

Final Flight

And if the contributions were anonymous, just how would you appreciate them? Given your oddly grudging tone, I suspect you might then (once again, wrongly) criticize her for not having done anything :rolleye:.

As Mathman points out, this is not a position you lobby for or buy or are paid for; it's something that you're asked to do because UNICEF believes that you will have a public impact. That is, in fact, the whole point: to do certain things publicly because they have an effect on people. It's called leadership. Because of her fan and national following, Yuna doesn't need the additional exposure; it is the nature of sport that her earnings will be what they are whether she's generous or not. On the other hand, it's another demand on what for her is in shorter supply, her time and effort. She's been doing these kind of things well before her Olympics, before her World Championship, so I find it distasteful that you feel the need to sprinkle your brand of cynicism on top. It calls to mind one of my favorite quotes, applicable to both skating and to actions in general:

"The heart that leaps to the invitation of sparkling appearances is the heart that would itself perform as handsomely."

parma

On the Ice
@sodessss Here is another person too busy bashing others senselessly to realize he/she is totally missing the point. Everyone has different motivation in helping others and why should that matter to anyone? Does the knowledge of others making donations stops you from making yours? Why is suggesting that there might be possibility that she is active in philanthropy for other reasons so important to you? I donated for Haiti people after I heard through media that Yuna donated. What is important is that the knowledge of her donation via media moved her fans - including me, and not you for sure - into taking actions and as a result someone half around the world hopefully will get by another day. If you don't want to donate, not because of her anyway, so be it. But at least have a decency of refraining yourself from expressing negatively toward someone's action that is affecting others into doing something positive for the world.

I probably shouldn't reply to this kind of trollbaiting comments but I will make it as my last. And let it go. It's been a long time since the Vancouver Games were over.

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
The latest article from UNICEF:

NEW YORK/ TORONTO/SEOUL, 12 July 2010 — UNICEF is delighted to announce the appointment of the international skating sensation Yuna Kim as its newest Goodwill Ambassador.

The 2010 Olympic gold winner, who has long been supportive of UNICEF’s work on behalf of the world’s children, was motivated to step up her engagement following the devastating earthquake in Haiti.

“I am honored to be chosen as an international UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador,” said Yuna Kim, who is currently training in Toronto. “I want to use my own positive experience to help the children of Haiti and the millions of vulnerable children around the world. Even in the hardest circumstances, dreams can give you the courage to live, and I hope I can share that message with children in need."

More: http://www.unicef.org/media/media_54275.html

Well deserved honor for Yuna.