Why photographers need Red-Eye Reduction when snapping pics of skaters | Golden Skate

Why photographers need Red-Eye Reduction when snapping pics of skaters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Why photographers need Red-Eye Reduction when snapping pics of skaters

red eye reduction doesn't always work. when it's a low light situation like that, there's no way around it. from the obvious focal length and height they were at. these both look like they were taken with point and shoot cameras, not SLRs, which also seems to be a huge factor even now.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

As someone who is seriously into photography, I can say that red-eye reduction works ........ when it works. The problem is that the pre-flash makes some people blink, so you get a picture with their eyes closed. Image editing software has very effective tools for eliminating this problem, though it is extra work.

R.D.

Record Breaker

On my Canon P&S, red-eye reduction helps a LITTLE...but only in portrait shots where the person is looking right at the camera. Otherwise it does nothing...and all the people in low-light/party pics look like aliens from outer space. That's why when I can, I take my SLR and external flash unit and try to point the flash at an angle. That seems to be the biggest help. Out of maybe a couple hundred said shots with that setup, maybe only 2 or 3 had red-eye in them. And that was usually because the flash exposure was too high...

ETA:

Image editing software has very effective tools for eliminating this problem, though it is extra work.

Only if it's slight red-eye...if the eye is extreme orange like in the second pic, the eyes (even corrected) still look grey and empty...if there is a RER algorithm that does a better job, I'd like to know.

Last edited: